The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Baby Green Hunters

Since when does Baby Green Hunters 2'0 consist of 2'3" jumps with oxers and solid fences?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I took BIG to his 3rd show last Sunday and entered him in Baby Green Hunters, thinking they were just going to have little 2' verticles. Oh no, they had 3 verticles, 4 oxers, and 1 solid brick wall. What the he**???? My friend, who also had a greenie, even made the judge come out and messure out the jumps. The judge said most of the fences were about 2'3", but would not change them because she said it would throw off the lines! She would not even drop the back rail on the oxers. I'm also convinced that solid brick wall was 2'6", it was HUGE! (Why does everything look big when you are on a green horse?)

Most shows have Baby Greens set a 2'6" as preparation for the 3' Pre Greens the next year.

2'6" is standard height for baby greens where I am.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

I've never heard of baby greens being lower than 2.6

In my area as well, what you described would be called Beginner hunter or beginner Rider. Baby Green is 2'6.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post
    2'6" is standard height for baby greens where I am.
    Ditto.

However, since it's not a USEF division, specs could vary from show to show. If the prize list said 2' with no oxers, that's what it should be.

GingerLily Guest

Default Baby Greens

Where I show (NE Ohio) Baby Greens is 2'3" sometimes with and sometimes without oxers but they usually include flower boxes, gates, walls, etc. and Very Greens is 2'6" with oxers. Neither have in-and-outs. Some shows only have Very Greens but some shows offer both divisions.

Around here Baby Greens is a fully decorated 2'6"

Baby Green here is also a decorated solid 2'6".
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

My local circuit has baby green at 2'6", oxers, rolltops, walls, etc included. I've never really understood why they don't have a lower class for green horses at the locals, because IMO if they are showing at 2'6" with walls, rolltops, etc., to me they aren't really that green anymore

Ditto. Solid 2'6" with full decorations (oxers, rolltops, walls, gates, flowers, brush).

I've always thought the baby greens were 2'6", but if it said 2' no oxars in your prize list, then that's what you should have gotten!

i guess it is called read the specs in theprize list.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

West Coast - 2'6". fully decorated, just like the big guy classes. You can only show one year here in the Baby Greens.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    West Coast - 2'6". fully decorated, just like the big guy classes. You can only show one year here in the Baby Greens.
    East Coast the same - one year only.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz's View Post
    My local circuit has baby green at 2'6", oxers, rolltops, walls, etc included. I've never really understood why they don't have a lower class for green horses at the locals, because IMO if they are showing at 2'6" with walls, rolltops, etc., to me they aren't really that green anymore
    Well, my babies go to their first show in the Baby Greens and show at 2'6" fully decorated, so if it is their first show, that is about as green as they get. I do the work at home so they are ready for the class in which they are entered.

Baby greens in my area are 2'6 except in two shows it's 18".

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz's View Post
    IMO if they are showing at 2'6" with walls, rolltops, etc., to me they aren't really that green anymore
    Since I'm older than dirt, I remember the days when greens were 3'6" and there wasn't anything lower. Plenty of horses showed in those 3'6" classes a few weeks off the racetrack. Rated shows with 3' divisions were few and far between, and lower than 3' with the exception of pony clases was unheard of. Not saying that today's system isn't better for the horses, just that it's not the only way it's ever been done.

Around here the baby greens at the rated shows are 2'6" with all types of jumps, oxers and solid stuff included. Agree though that if the prize list specified 2' for this division, that's how the jumps should have been set.

What did the prize list say? What do the rules of whatever association may have offered points for it have the specs at?

My area it's 2'6"? as well, fully decorated, walls, oxers, whatever.

So, the answer to OPs question about since when is since forever most places unless the prize list or association rulebook (if any) states otherwise.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I am doing the baby greens with Dora this weekend and it is listed as 2'0-2'3 and it is fully decorated. There are some gates but I don't think there are any walls. The verticals run about 2'3 and the oxers 2'0.

As a side note, I prefer little stuff for the babies as I can take them when they are younger and they can get accustomed to the show atmosphere. I even sponsored a w/t/poles class for the 3 1/2 year olds a few years ago. I usually show once a month with the babies, so they start out w/t/poles then go to crossrails, then 18" and so on. They usually move up at each show.
    In loving memory of my precious Gwendolyn; you will always be with me, in my heart. I love you.