Am I leaving enough time for the health certificate?
I just booked my gelding on a trip to head back east. The truck goes out on the week of the 9th and will most likely pick him up on the 11th or 12th of Nov. So now I'm trying to get all of his paperwork together and am getting ready to make an appt. at the vet for his health cert. Now, I'm also planning on getting some chiropractic work done on him while he is there and the chiropractor only makes appts. on thurs. So I talked to the girl who is going to trailer for me. Her horse has to go back in next week anyway to get stitches out from surgery so we decided go together next thurs. the 22nd and save an extra trip.
My concern is that I might be getting the health cert a little early. I'm worried that I'm not leaving a lot of room for error in case the trip is delayed or something and the last thing I want is the health cert. to expire en route or have to get another one before he leaves. The other problem is that the shippers might be able to get me on an early trip on the week of Oct. 26th so I don't want to wait till the next week in case I can get on that trip (I want to get him home as soon as possible and the 12th of Nov. is already later than I wanted, so the 26th trip would be perfect).
So does it sound like I'm leaving enough time? If all goes according to plan he will make it across the country before the 30 days is up but I feel like it's cutting it close and setting myself up for problems. But I don't want to wait in case he gets on an earlier trip. So should I give it some more time and risk not getting on the early trip / not get the chiro work done, or continue like it's planned now and hope that it all works out.
How quickly can your vet come do one if you get on the earlier trip? If he already has his Coggins, there aren't any other tests to be done that take time. They take temp, listen to heart/lungs, verify vaccinations and that's it. Takes 10 minutes. If your vet can be on call to come if you get an earlier ship time, I'd wait. I have never liked the 30 day thing anyway, because a LOT can happen to a horse in 30 days, and how could you stand behind a health cert. 30 days out?
He is due for his coggins too so it can't really be a last minute kind of thing. Plus the farm call is a big problem. The vet is about 30-45 mins away which is why I want to trailer in but I have to work around the schedule of the girl who is going to trailer for me. I'm sure I can work it out another way but it's starting to get complicated so I'm just trying to figure out the best way.