The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Warmblood Auction in Alberta

Just curious if anyone went to the Canadian warmblood auction that took place this past weekend. I would be interested to hear opinions on quality and sales prices. I didn't have a chance to go to the sale and was just curious how the market was doing and can not find the sales results posted anywhere.

Default A Sign of the Times

Check out lot #3, wish I was in the market....
    http://www.fallclassicsale.com/summarylist.asp The horses
    http://www.fallclassicsale.com/docs/...lts%202009.pdf Results

We were there, prices were very reasonable. Good offering of quality horses to the market, you could get going horses for around $8,000. Lot 3 went for $10,500 super buy for the people in Quebec that bought her. The filly by Toronto that went through was stunning! Another good buy was Risky Business, lovely filly interestingly both bred by the same person.
    Proud Momma:

Imax - Fresstyle x Juventus x Rubinstein
    2014 - Sister to IMAX (hopefully)

Quote Originally Posted by Amoroso View Post
    We were there, prices were very reasonable. Good offering of quality horses to the market, you could get going horses for around $8,000. Lot 3 went for $10,500 super buy for the people in Quebec that bought her. The filly by Toronto that went through was stunning! Another good buy was Risky Business, lovely filly interestingly both bred by the same person.
    Was Lot #3 riding sound? If so, beyond super buy!

We went saturday as we are in the market for a 3-5 yr old gelding as a competative dressage prospect. Nothing there was really suitable but there were some nice youngsters. I would have liked to have taken the Rotspon mare " Roxy Roller" home as a broodmare (in all honesty, the mare was training level AT BEST and eight years old) and the two year old Rascalino filly was a good deal I think. I didn't see them all and didn't look much at the horses that were not 3-5 yr old geldings.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

I had planned to bid online but just beforehand we ended up getting a weanling rio grande granddaughter that was part of a rescue situation at a breeding farm that had gone bankrupt - so that effectively put me out of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Was Lot #3 riding sound? If so, beyond super buy!
    Yes. She was ridden in the ring, sound as a whistle (although I'm sure you would have needed further investigation with a vet if you wanted her for riding), doing her flying changes and 5 months in foal She was a steal.
    Proud Momma:

Imax - Fresstyle x Juventus x Rubinstein
    2014 - Sister to IMAX (hopefully)

Can someone tell me about the breeding of the #10 filly? Hy Anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Can someone tell me about the breeding of the #10 filly? Hy Anxiety
    http://www.fallclassicsale.com/lots.asp?ID=10 Is this what you are looking for?

They did mention that the breeding has improved since their last visit, and they thought that was encouraging, but the general comments were still more improvement needed. They were convinced it was just around the corner for Canada, just right there within grasp. Commented our jumping bloodlines were right up there, but dressage bloodlines still need work. I tend to agree, as it shows in our competition results.
    I am not sure this sale is indicative of what is available here in AB. I know of a few horses that are for sale privately that are in the high 5 figs with really nice bloodlines. I think it is one of those things where until the buyers are there people will not bring their best horses, and until the best horses are there buyers are not taking notice??

stoicfish, yep, that's her.

I just don't know anything about the sire or his sire, or the dam's side. I just love the look of the filly, and wonder what would make her go for only $2500.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    stoicfish, yep, that's her.

I just don't know anything about the sire or his sire, or the dam's side. I just love the look of the filly, and wonder what would make her go for only $2500.
    http://www.oldenburgfarm.com/regazzoni.htm
    Never met him

Regardez is a nice stallion and known for
    passing on great personality.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FiwYYH7d_U

Many of the horses were probably undervalued. Check out lot 3 for example.

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    I had friends visiting from Germany and weren't impressed either, commenting on average movement. They did mention that the breeding has improved since their last visit, and they thought that was encouraging, but the general comments were still more improvement needed.
    I couldn't agree more! Particularly within Alberta. There are a "few" good warmblood breeders in the Province who are being selective about choosing their mares and stallions. But I find those breeders tend to stick with private sales, which will almost always bring you more money than if you risk the sport horse auctions.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallion Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals & Equine Expert Witness www.EquineAppraisers.com