The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default iPhone Apps for hunting?

Is there an iPhone app that will give me info on speed, distance, etc. that my horse has covered if I carry the phone along in my pocket on a hunt?

Or one that gives a garmin-like map tracing the path taken?
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

I don't have an iPhone, but I have Blackberry Storm and I can do this, so I did a search for you and came up with this guys' review of Instamapper GPS tracker for iPhone.

http://www.jonathansblog.net/iphone-...le-maps-satnav

I think it might work for what you need.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

MotionX GPS is the app you want. It's one of the featured outdoor apps accessible from the Apple iPhone App Store.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    MotionX GPS is the app you want. It's one of the featured outdoor apps accessible from the Apple iPhone App Store.
    This. I use it for trail riding and such. GREAT app

You can learn more on their website for it at:
    http://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps/

As long as it doesn't ring in the hunt field. That, to me, is reason to commit murder.

So I just downloaded the $2.95 version of MotionXSport. Looks really interesting...thanks for the heads up!! Now to read the 31 pade manual!! This is exactly what I have wanted.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

I am very excited about trying this iphone app. I love mapping stuff and it would be fun to keep track of mileage and speed.

@Racetrackreject- what is the app you are using on your Storm?

yes, please! How do you do it on the Storm? I have finally solved my memory leak mystery and want to try to do more things with my Storm since hopefully I won't have to restart it five times a day. I can now actually add an app!
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

MotionX GPS is the app you want
    Annoyed with myself now! I bought a Garmin for this very reason at the end of last season, and while its been great fun to take hunting, and very useful in mapping mileage, I wish I knew I could have done it via an iphone app instead! Doh! Didn't occur to me...Only consolation, the Garmin is waterproof and my iphone isn't.. :-0

It depends on your carrier which will work. I have Verizon and they have an app you can get through them (you have to pay for it monthly) which you can use to do this, but for free you can get Instamapper which allows your phone to be tracked and you can pull up all of the information from a computer, but not from your phone. Blackstar is also free and can be done from your phone. It was originally made for geocaching, but works for this too.

I haven't used Blackstar personally, but I've heard good stuff about it.

Some carriers have some glitchy stuff that will not allow one program to work, but will allow another so if you have problems, try a different program. Luckily, most are free. With Verizon, if you aren't using one of their programs, you have disable aGPS I believe it was, to use a non-Verizon GPS program.

Anyway, if you go to the BB app store, you will have a few different programs come up.

Hope that helps!
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by nicbarker View Post
    Annoyed with myself now! I bought a Garmin for this very reason at the end of last season, and while its been great fun to take hunting, and very useful in mapping mileage, I wish I knew I could have done it via an iphone app instead! Doh! Didn't occur to me...Only consolation, the Garmin is waterproof and my iphone isn't.. :-0
    I can assure you that the Garmin is vastly superior to the faux-GPS functionality of an iPhone. The iPhone uses A-GPS which is reliant on cellular networks to get it's information whereas your Garmin depends solely on satellites.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Thanks! I've downloaded the free version of MotionX GPS Sport Lite and hope to take it for a spin tomorrow. No fears, xeroxchick, it'll be muted.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I can assure you that the Garmin is vastly superior to the faux-GPS functionality of an iPhone. The iPhone uses A-GPS which is reliant on cellular networks to get it's information whereas your Garmin depends solely on satellites.
    Yes and no... at least from what my company and very techie DH tell me. No, I don't work for apple

The iPhone (3G and 3Gs) has two types of "GPS" functionality. Cellular and straight GPS. Granted the Garmin has maps built in and a better antenna, but the iPhone does have a "real" GPS and doesn't necessarily need the cellular tower for that function. It is quicker when you have cellular connection, though.

Case in point. Take your iPhone out into BFE and try to download a map. If you are not under cloud/tree/buliding cover you will have a GPS signal and you will see a blue dot in the middle of a blank gray grid. This is because the iPhone needs a network to download the map, but you can see exactly where you are (you are the blue dot). Doesn't help in the least, but it does work. If you download the mapping area you need prior to losing the cell signal, then the iPhone will work very similar to the Garmin GPS and you can zoom in/out and track your route with little issue.

I wouldn't trust my iPhone to take me out into the remote wilderness, but for a hunt, hunter pace, trail ride, etc... the motionX app will do just fine!
    Dreaming in Color

Quote Originally Posted by nicbarker View Post
    I got the iphone app last night. tried it out on a 20 mile car trip. Nifty keen! Love it!!! Meant to try it on our ride this morning but completely forgot to turn it on when we started. Duh. Remembered when we were a mile from home.

I have Garmin Gps's but hate them - clunky and hard to use. But they do get a good signal anywhere, which is nice. But such a tiny screen. And so hard to download the info - you have to remove the chips, get special software, etc.

I got the Garmin's a few years ago, before I had the iphone.

Tried the free app on today's hunt and it absolutely worked, giving me speed, distance, and a map of the route taken. I can zoom in on the map and get a better understanding of exactly how the trail system fits in our hunt country. This is very helpful for my staff duties.

I had a thread on this back at the beginning of hunt season. I ended up getting the Garmin Etrex H. Its been easy to use. Its a one click option to load the map onto google earth.

Coming back to say that the app is awesome. The free app only lets you save one "track" at a time, but by upgrading for $2.99 to the full app, you can save 105 tracks. I've done NO reading on how to make this thing work, but have easily figured out how to make a track, save it, and e-mail it to myself...it can also easily be posted to facebook. We have new hunt country that we haven't hunted yet but plan to do so tomorrow. I did a recon ride today with a couple other staff, and having a the track to share with others is that couldn't make the recon but need to know how to "work" the country is really helpful. Big thumbs up for this app, and thanks for the recommendations.

Oh, and it was cool to find out that the draft crosses' forward canter is over 28 mph...who knew?

TrailGuru for iPhone - it's free, and when I requested it they added meters per minute as one of the speed options! :mrgreen:
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Oooh...now that has possibilities for eventing. Have you used it for course walks or gallop sets?