The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Don't you Hate it when,

Don't you hate it when people mislead you about their horses for sale. For example, a lady told me her horse was at least 16.2, so I figured he was at least 16 hands. I went to look at him and he was 15.2, measured with a real stick. Another time a lady advertised her pony was a champion at a AA horse show. That was true, but it was in an unrated division. That is like saying, "My horse was champion in Florida this spring" and you find out it was "Uncle Bob's Schooling Show in Jerk Water Florida." Why do people lie about stuff so easy to check?

Default Ha, that is funny!

I have that problem, but from the seller's point of view sometimes. I stick my youngsters and advertise them as such. A particular line of mine are TALL, they are 16.3-17hh and lanky as 3yr olds. So, everyone who comes says things like "Wow, look at that 18hh horse" and I just go, No, he is x height, measured and true.

People get so used to looking at 16.2 hh horses that are really 15.2-16hh that a true 16.3hh horse looks like a giant to them. Always makes me chuckle when people realize how big a TRUE 17hh horse is.

People would get really irritated when I would show up to look at a horse and bring a measuring stick. They'd even accuse you 'why is that so important?' like it was a criticism of the animal. But hey, I'd also like to know their real age also! You're buying something and there are facts that are necessary. You measure furniture, your tires are a certain size.... for good reasons. That is a buyer's perogative. Sellers have a degree of responsibilty too. I'd hold them to it.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Quote Originally Posted by mzm farm View Post
    I have that problem, but from the seller's point of view sometimes. I stick my youngsters and advertise them as such. A particular line of mine are TALL, they are 16.3-17hh and lanky as 3yr olds. So, everyone who comes says things like "Wow, look at that 18hh horse" and I just go, No, he is x height, measured and true.

People get so used to looking at 16.2 hh horses that are really 15.2-16hh that a true 16.3hh horse looks like a giant to them. Always makes me chuckle when people realize how big a TRUE 17hh horse is.
    I have a stallion and some mares that 17.0 or 17.1hd and I think they are huge when I stand next to them. I think I must be shinking, LOL. I don't remember thinking 17.0 hd was so big 20 years ago. I think using a stick is important because horses can fool you, so I stick everything also.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Smile Just for fun

I thought I'd post this up. Too bad they don't have CarFax for horses. HorseFax would be a valueable thing!

How to interpret Horse Adds
    · BIG TROT: Can't canter within a two mile straightaway
    · NICELY STARTED: lunges, but we don't have enough insurance to ride him yet
    · TOP SHOW HORSE: won a reserve champion 5 years ago at a show with unusually low entries due to tornado warnings
    · HOME BRED: knows nothing despite being raised on the back porch
    · BIG BONED: good thing he has a mane and tail, or he would be mistaken for a cow
    · NO VICES: especially when he wears his muzzle
    · BOLD: runaway
    · GOOD MOVER: runaway
    · ATHLETIC: runaway
    · NEEDS INTERMEDIATE RIDER: runaway
    · SHOULD MATURE 16 HANDS: currently 13 hands, dam is 14.2, sire is 14.3 hands,every horse in pedigree back 18 generations is under 15 hands, but *this*horse will defy his DNA and grow.
    · WELL MANNERED: hasn't stepped on, run over, bitten, or kicked anyone for a week
    · PROFESSIONALLY TRAINED: hasn't stepped on, run over, bitten, or kicked anyone for a month
    · RECENTLY VETTED: someone else found something really wrong with this horse
    · TO GOOD HOME ONLY: not really for sale unless you can 1) pay twice what he is worth 2) are willing to sign a 10 page legal document 3) allow current owner to tuck in beddy-bye every night
    · LIGHT CRIBBER: we can't afford to build anymore fences and barns for the buzz saw
    · EXCELLENT DISPOSITION: never been out of the stall
    · CLIPS, HAULS, LOADS: clippity clippity is the sound his hooves make as he hauls butt across the parking lot when you try to load him.
    Cloverfox Stables

lMAO...haaaaaa

thanks
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Thanks for the giggles Halo!
    Maybe just me, but I noticed shorter people have a harder time judging size because everything is taller then them. I am 5'7" so the horse has to be over my head for 17. But my friend who is 5'2" on a tall day thinks every horse over 16h is a 17 hander.

How about SHOULD MATURE 16 HANDS: He *should*. He won't, but he *should*.

I had that problem earlier this year when I went to look at a horse. Terribly misrepresentation. Said he was 15.3 and he turned out to be a solid 16.1 Snapped that sucker right up and I love him. Lucky for me some false advertising works out for the better!

I always take my nose with me.

It measures exactly l5.3 when I lean into a horse's shoulder. Then I can use my thumb measurements to go l5.3, l6.0, l6.1, etc. It is as accurate as a stick (almost). My mare measured l7.+ hh - but I already knew that.

I also know the height of my hipbone and the height of my boobs (whichis 4' in case you are interested) - useful for setting jumps.

And, of course, how big my stride is, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I always take my nose with me.

It measures exactly l5.3 when I lean into a horse's shoulder. Then I can use my thumb measurements to go l5.3, l6.0, l6.1, etc. It is as accurate as a stick (almost). My mare measured l7.+ hh - but I already knew that.

I also know the height of my hipbone and the height of my boobs (whichis 4' in case you are interested) - useful for setting jumps.

And, of course, how big my stride is, exactly.
    That's funny! I've taken my stick and measured different spots of myself. It's much easier to stand next to my yearlings and get their height that way any time I want to knowing the top of my head is 16.1, eyebrows 15.1 etc. I stood next to my yearling the other day in pasture and his butt is higher than my eyebrows and his withers are at my eyes . . . so around 15h at the withers and 15.1+ at butt.
    Cloverfox Stables