The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Automatic Horse Feeders (not Waterers)

Does anyone have or had made, an automatic horse feeder?

Currently, I have to go out to the barn twice in the morning. Once to feed, and then 30 min later to turn out. (Old horse takes awhile to eat.) I'd like to have an auto-feeder, so that I only have to go out once. Hubby has made metal boxes, with a magnet holding the lid closed. Magnet is plugged into a timer, so that when the power releases, the door opens and drops the feed into the horse's dishes.

Works wonderfully. Except, my ever so trouble-making horse has discovered that she can open her door and feed herself.

So, does anyone have an auto-feeder that is horse-proof? Or any other door mechanism ideas? Hubby thought anything motorized (retractable door?) might not work well in the bitter cold, which is when I really want the auto feeders!

There are several available commercially if you do a google search. I have never bought one, but looked into them several years ago for an old guy that I wanted to be able to feed 5-6 times/day. At the time they were about $300, but I would think you could find something for less than that.

We have ProFeeders and I love them. The only thing is that when I turn the boys out they have access to the aisleway and although the feeders are supposed to be horse proof they really aren't. We ended up mounting one in the tack room and one in a storage area that way they feed into the stalls but the horses cannot reach them. We had both the wired and solar ones.

They were pricey but I love them. They feed up to 12 times per day but we programmed it for 4 feedings. I love it because it feeds before I get up in the am so that when I go to the barn the horses are ready to go out.