The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face VERDICT Post 1: Poofy ankle, slightly sore; am I on the right track?

Shiver came up two days ago with a lightly filled near fore, slightly off. No heat, just poofy on the fetlock. We stalled her, wrapped her, cold hosing 4x per day for 20min, and she's gotten 1gm bute once a day. We're still the same. Have a call into the vet, but while I'm waiting, any CoTH ideas? It's not hot at all, and barely off. She's in a small paddock today so she can meander around, maybe walk some off? She's not prone to exerting any more energy than necessary! Thanks guys!

UPDATE:

Vet came out today and through ultrasound and xray diagnosed mild sesamoiditis. We expect 2-3mo of stall rest and hand walking and hydrotherapy. *sigh* At least its winter. Does anyone have any experiences with recovery from this? Especially such a young horse? (She's 3). She's NOT in "real" work, very lightly started undersaddle (walking, a few steps of trot). Doing a recheck in a week to make sure she's on the healing track!
    Last edited by Noctis; Oct. 12, 2009 at 08:34 PM.

have you tried poultice or anything like that yet?
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.

She had a clay poultice last night, but her skin didn't react so well. She has very very sensitive skin :-/

my old horse did too, did you use plastic? i always used paper (cold(paper) poltice vs hot(plastic))... do you have ice boots or anything like that?

good luck! is it getting any better?

I used paper. I think she's just my little hot house rose in that sense. She's still the same today, bright and chipper! No bute toay, wanted to see if she stayed the same, which she has. So we'll wait for tomorrow and keep fingers crossed!

An abscess can present as swelling in the fetlock and pastern. I'm going through this right now. Mare was 'off' for a week and looked body sore. The next week she came in with a swollen fetlock on one side. Slightly warm. It went down in two days and mare was sound again. 4 days later she was 3 legged lame with an abscess in that hoof. Also, if it is an abscess, it's generally going to be located on the side with the most swelling.

Certainly, it might be something else but thought I would throw that out there.

Good to know. Its a bit higher up than I would expect for that, and its pretty evenly swollen (fetlock, no pastern), but we'll see! No heat though. Thats whats getting me, no darn heat! *headdesk* At least she's an AWESOME patient!

Well we've taken a few steps back; shes quite tender to the touch along the back of her leg (knee to fetlock) and more filling through the tendon. Vet can't make it out until Monday morning, but he thinks it may be a suspensory *headdesk* So jingles please?

JINGLES!!! keep us informed!

It sounds like something a horse I know had. His fetlock was pretty uniformly swollen, no heat, minimal lameness. The vet determined that he most likely stepped in a hole and wrenched it, tearing lots of soft-tissue stuff in there. How this horse was not lame, I have no idea. The owners wrapped it every night and its getting somewhat better 3ish months later. He just got off stall rest and is turned out lightly with the geriatric crowd and they will evaluate his soundness for riding. Good luck, I hope its nothing too serious!
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

May not be a suspensory, could be a splint or DDT...hard to diagnose over the phone Icing, cold hosing, and bute. 1g isn't a lot...I wouldn't be surprised if he upped that until the inflammation had decreased a bit.

My event mare presented with an UGLY tendon one day. We thought it was suspensory. She did strain the suspensory, but it turned out to be uglier than it really was. She was on stall rest for 3 weeks, light turnout for 2 weeks, and then back in work. We were just careful with the tendon for awhile and she never had a problem with the tendon again.

Probably a long shot, but...

My mare presented like this about 3 years ago. Swollen fetlock, no heat, slightly off. We did a poultice and her skin seemed to be really irritated afterwards. Continued cold hosing, wrapping, hand walking. This went on for 2-3 weeks. Then one morning, I took the wraps off and her entire leg was swollen up to the knee and hot.

Turned out she had a fungal infection. The vet had to do skin scrapings to figure it out, as it was a microscopic fungus. Didn't present like anything I (or the vet) had ever seen.

It could also be something as simple as a splinter. Things like that can be a big deal for the delicate flowers out there.

Just remember, if you want the vet to look at her, you'll want to stop the bute.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I had a filly come up with a lameness with no apparent swelling or heat, but she was better on hard ground than on the sand footing in the arena (which would indicate soft tissue problem rather than bone) She had a mild pull or sprain of a suspensory that showed on an ultrasound. Stall rest for 2 weeks with hand walking, no bute, and slow return to turnout and lunging. She looks good now a month later.

I also self diagnosed a horse many years ago as a pull and did poulticing and wrapping and asked the vet to do an ultrasound of the leg and that showed nothing. I should have had her do a full work up as it turned out to be in the ankle.... probably cartilage damage. He would get better with rest and work out of it and finally quit "working out of it". Then I called the vet in with the x-ray machine and we did several types of treatments over the next year or 2 including joint injections and acupuncture and anything else I could come up with. He never recovered enough to be used again. So I'm pretty much done self diagnosing.

Good luck.

Well the vet said said bute and stall rest until Monday when he shows up, trying to get rid of some of the swelling. Its now swollen all through the tendons as opposed to just the fetlock and a bit above it. Poor girl is pretty darn ticked, but she's an absolute gem to work with. Darn holiday weekend! They'll be xraying and ultrasounding Monday morning, so I will update with what they find. BUT we have discovered that Shiver is in LOVE with concerts lol. Our barn is often rented out for parties etc, and they are having a HUGE (100+ people) party tonight with a live band, and Shiver was at her door enthralled during their practice! So at least she'll be entertained tonight! (and I'll be there guarding her stall door...she's a little too friendly sometimes!

Haha when my mare was on stall rest, she would watch the barn TV all day: and it was usually stuck on Oprah. To this day, if you turn on a TV in the barn with Oprah, the mare spins around and stares intently at the screen. She's a devotee!

I hope the vet appointment goes well on Monday. My mare's first ultrasound was horrid. There was so much fluid you could barely see anything. 10 days later, we took her to New Bolton and they found only some deep digital tendon damage and very minor on her suspensory. It's probably good that he's not seeing it right off and with the bute, it might make the injury a little easier to see if it's soft tissue.

*sigh* We have a diagnosis. Sesamoiditis. So we're looking at 2-3mo of stall rest, then go from there. *sigh* So we'll see how it goes! Anyone have any advice/experiences? Thanks! At least we have an answer after lots of xrays and ultrasounds and thank god for my amazing vet being flexible.

Anyone have any experiences or suggestions? Shiver is learning new tricks....like taking all of her poops in a bucket....shame it was one of her water buckets! (thankfully she has 2) She's staying really calm, and I've gotten her a hanging likit to try later today.