The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How many states have a helmet law for minors?

If anyone who knows of or lives in a state with such a law could please post the state I would appreciate it. I am trying to convince AQHA that youth riders should be required to wear a true ASTM certified helmet instead of the "hunt caps" that are popular. I really think it is time for them to step into line with other associations. FYI AQHA does require them in over fences classes, but I feel that minors should be required to wear them in all classes (having witnessed some horrific accidents at AQHA shows in flat classes). If kids just grow up wearing them, it becomes no big deal to them, but the "fashion" aspect of helmets really should not be allowed (in my opinion) at AQHA shows for youth riders. TIA

Florida JUST passed a new law mandating helmets on all public, show and riding facilities for riders under the age of 16. It is called "Nicole's Law" in honor of a young girl who died from head injuries after a fall without a helmet.
    you can also look up "Nicole Hornstein". Good luck!

I believe New York has a helmet law on the books for riders under a certain age, but I'm not sure how strictly it's enforced.

I think there is also a helmet law for kids on bicycles, too.

Laws are only as good as your ability to enforce them and punish offenders. Are we to have helmet patrols and helmet prison ?

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Laws are only as good as your ability to enforce them and punish offenders. Are we to have helmet patrols and helmet prison ?
    Once again, the REASON for my post is misconstrued. I am not asking if one agrees or disagrees or how to enforce a LAW. I am more interested in asking an equine ORGANIZATION to require minors to wear such a helmet. NOT for
    patrols" and "punishments" for said laws. My point to AQHA is going to be that it is in their best interest, from a liability standpoint, to institue such a rule. I do NOT acutally believe the government should legislate this, to the contrary, but I DO believe that equestrian organizations have a right and responsibility to protect the youth riders, as often neither the parent nor the trainer chose to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post

I don't think anyone would be going to prison, particularly if this is a rule or law specifically for AQHA, an organization, but absolutely there would be fines. And it would be the show's responsibility to police the helmet law, I imagine. And they would, considering what would happen with their insurance if they were found to have ignored the law and a serious or fatal accident occurred.

It would be difficult to get any sort of rule or law like that into AQHA though, I think. They're pretty set on the no helmets in any sort of western event. Might be able to get it into the english section, though. CO's are looking a lot slimmer and less bobble headed these days.

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post

I don't think anyone would be going to prison, particularly if this is a rule or law specifically for AQHA, an organization, but absolutely there would be fines. And it would be the show's responsibility to police the helmet law, I imagine. And they would, considering what would happen with their insurance if they were found to have ignored the law and a serious or fatal accident occurred.

It would be difficult to get any sort of rule or law like that into AQHA though, I think. They're pretty set on the no helmets in any sort of western event. Might be able to get it into the english section, though. CO's are looking a lot slimmer and less bobble headed these days.
    I feel that if more equestrian organizations would pick up the "tab" on this issue then government legislation would be less likely to occur. AQHA is taking quite a stance all of a sudden on horse welfare, which don't get me wrong, is important. But isn't the welfare and safety of our youth at least as, if not more important? I honestly think the "huntcaps" PERCHED on top of the head looks horrendous! Give me a nice helmet any day of the week! 4-H has such a rule for ALL events now, which was fortuitous last year, when a trainer who is a friend of mine's sister was showing her horse in the gaming events. They required a helmet, and she borrowed one (a schooling helmet) from us. Her horse spooked badly down by the arena on the blacktop pavement and she fell. LITERALLY the helmet was split it two and she was totally unharmed. Well worth the price of that helmet!

I cant get AQHA to do anything reasonable it seems. Ever.

That is why I have now just "forgot" to renew my membership.

They constantly would send me surveys about shows, saying they want more participation. I would write out why they don't have it. Nothing changes. Rinse. Repeat.

Good for you ShawneeAcres, for continuting the fight! Our small schooling shows at Fort Bragg are typically sponsored by the TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) Clinic at the hospital, and they promote helmets.

We even have a release form that basically states we reccomend you wear a helmet in our show.

We also don't let anyone that is under 18 show without a helmet.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450