The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FREE 15.2 hh, 6 yr old reg. TB mare--Eventing/Hunting/Jumpers, etc (VA)

I've had this mare for sale, and I could continue to work with her, as I really like her, but it wouldn't be fair to her, as my other horses are beating her up--she is very "bottom of the herd". So she is "free", for $1 (just for legal purposes).

"Belle" (BJs Rodeo) is a 15.2+ hh, 6 yr old, registered TB mare. Pretty dark chestnut, small star, BL coronet, GORGEOUS head and neck, big bodied to take up leg (I'm 5'8", and don't look ridiculous on her), and a pretty nice mover. She does crib, but I have never put a strap on her, as it doesn't really bother me. She is incredibly sweet, and loves attention. Easy to work around, good for the farrier and vet, and loads easily.

She has had dressage training, and easily works from behind, lifts her back, and goes into the bridle. We have started lateral work, and she leg yields easily. She is GREAT over fences, scopey (I've had her up to 3'6" with no problem), very good form, and BRAVE (jumps walls, gates, flowers, coops, stone walls, etc). Big stride, auto lead changes. She does prefer to canter fences to trotting them. She hacks out cross-country, walks through water, goes first or behind. She goes in a loose-ring snaffle, with plenty of brakes. She is not spooky, although still green, so does best with 5 min of lunging if you take her someplace new to let her see everything. After 5 min (I'm serious, you only need that long) she is totally focused and ready to work. She is not a hard ride, would be easy for a older kid or amateur to finish.

Belle would be an EXCEPTIONAL eventing prospect, or could do the jumpers, hunters, or foxhunt. I bought her to be a show hunter, but then decided to aim her more towards the event market because of how easily she does flat work, and yet is still brave and jumps well enough for the jumping phases.

She does have some marks on her from my other horses (too many alphas in the group), but nothing permanent that won't heal up in a few weeks if allowed to. She would do best being turned out with 1 or 2 other KIND horses. She goes out with mares or geldings. Not mareish, she is not on Regumate or Depo. She is up-to-date on shots and her coggins.

Some pics here: http://www.cherryblossomfarm.net/belle.html.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Belle has been taken, thank you.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles