The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ice Boot WANTED (TN)

Hey all, Shiver is in need of daily icing/cold therapy for her sesamoid injury. Due to all the vet bills, purchasing a new ice boot is not an option at this time, and holding peas on is getting dangerous for my head! If anyone has a boot, or would lend a boot (to be returned in same condition!), we would be so so greatful. We've got another 3mo or so of stall rest and icing ahead of us (Vet wants it done frequently through the day as well), so any help would be appreciated. Will glady pay shipping to 37421.

You just needs something for like fetlock and below, right? Grab a big rubber bucket, stick her hoof in it, fill with water and ice, and keep her their. Ice is free, and the rubber bucket is cheap, and most barns have one hiding somewhere. You can also use a regular bucket/water bucket, if you can get her to stand reliably. (And that can be taught, believe me. )
    You can also wrap the package of peas on... Most stores have the flexibly ice packs. You can pick up one of those and it will be even easier to wrap.
    Or freeze water and (rubbing) alcohol, and it will be pretty flexible as well.

I've been pea wrapping, but its just not working well, and I need for my BO to be able to stick something on during the day, and she is NOT comfortable wrapping :/ And its the whole cannon bone plus the pastern that need icing unfortunately. We've tried pretty much everything around that is cheap/free but we need easy, quick and idiotproof for the BO!

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

Default ICE BOOT

Have you thought about trying to use a large sport boot, the velcro kind, with ice gel packs inside???? Should be easy for the BO to apply, you may even wet it down and keep it in a freezer??? I never tried this but might it work.