The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default KWPN-NA 2009 Keurings Gelders Horses

Two horses caught my eye fromt he 2009 KWPN-NA Keuring results, both are horses that have Harness type pedigrees but were inspected as Gelders horses. Here are the pedigrees:
    Whazup WH http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree.php?horseid=245177
    Belsjarona http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree.php?horseid=472881

So why are these horses being permitted to change breeding direction to Gelders? Are the owners requesting it because they feel it is more marketable to call their horse a Gelderlander instead of a Dutch Harness Horse? Is it so they can opt to do the dressage test instead of the harness test if the wish to try to achieve their horse's keur status? Or does the jury really feel that despite these horse's breeding that they really are more Gelders type than Harness?

I am curious as when I was breeding Etinkie (a Harness book mare that is 100% Gelders blood) one year I was really looking into breeding her to a KWPN Riding type stallion that would have sired a horse that would have been Gelders by pedigree under the rules at that time and was told that even if the horse fit into the pedigree requirements of the Gelders book it could not be put into the Gelders book without having at least 1 parent who was in the Gelders book, that a Riding type Harness type cross would go in the Riding book. And then I see these 2 horses who have very modern Harness Horse pedigrees
    Last edited by Renae; Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:14 AM.

Renae,
    why don't you call the office and ask them? It's a valid question, so it deserves a valid answer.
    Best,
    Siegi
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

I was hoping soemone here may have seen these horses presented and heard the jury's comments. They were at the DG Bar Ranch Keuring and the Claybrook Farms keuring.

Default IT'S A GREAT QUESTION

I BRED MY COCKTAIL MARE TO A "DUTCH HARNESS" STALLION WHICH RESULTED IN A "RIDING TYPE" HORSE. SADLY. I'M FINDING OUT THAT THEIR RULES SOMETIMES CHANGE TO SUIT. WHATS GOOD FOR THE GOOSE AIN'T ALWAYS GOOD FOR THE GANDER ! WOULD LUV TO JUST HEAR THEIR JUSTIFICATIONS. YOU'RE "NOT" WRONG !

I saw the Belsjarona mare in MI, in passing. She was very flashy with a very uphill carriage and lots of chrome. Sadly that is all I know about her, as I was busy with my own horses and was not able to watch her go.

Sorry I wasnt more help.