The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Onions are also LETHAL to dogs and cat, kills the liver and kidneys in a matter of a few short hours. Good to know during family BBQs, keep your guests from feeding your pets pieces and parts of Hamburgers and Hotdogs! My ex-boyfriends family dog died of onion injestion after a BBQ. He was rushed to the emergency vets office half an hour after eating a onion a hamburger, he died a few hours later despite the best medicine. The vet informed us of how deadly onion are to dogs and cats...

Quote Originally Posted by asb_own_me View Post
    My horses went crazy for zucchini a couple days ago.
    I've always heave hoed the large monster ones over the fence, they split up upon landing and the horses love them -- most excellent use for them! Nothing gets wasted.

My horses love any melon rinds, esp the honeydew! and bread, I get some farm feed stuff from the bread shop as a treat.

and they prefer pears - yum!

My horses love mellons - water, honey dew, cantelope (sp), etc. My horse also tries to steal my french fries. She lovesssssss oat n honey natures valley granola bars too but wont eat the knock off brand.

We had some cabbage given to us from my moms friend who grows it. The horses ate it right up but we didnt give them very much at all. They also love bread.

I think I want to try the pumpkin idea. Sounds very cool.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    I've always heave hoed the large monster ones over the fence, they split up upon landing and the horses love them -- most excellent use for them! Nothing gets wasted.
    Me too! All my "wow, didn't know THAT one was growing!" squash-type veggies were heaved over the fenceline for the horses. Now I have 4 baby squash/zucchini/who knows what plants growing in the middle of the pasture, now that it's finally raining again. Too bad the frost will kill them before any fruit ever sets

I threw a zucchini out there last year, and for some reason the horses never ate it. However, SOMEthing cleaned it up, but left the entire "skeleton" of the thing there. It's a loofah now! Oddest thing - didn't think zucchini could do that! It's great for getting sweat marks off

Oh, and my mare loves protein bars The all love watermelon. Mare is the only one who likes pumpkin

Hmmm, mine decline watermelon and bananas. I would like to try the pumpkin but I have a feeling they wouldn't like that either. They are not in to new flavors, I guess. Just boring ole apples and carrots.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

OK Onions not good for dogs/cats and maybe horses, but garlic is good for horses but not cat/dogs? My horses get garlic at their current barn.

Garlic isn't good for horses in large amounts over time. The issue is the same as in cats and dogs - Heinz Body Anemia

oranges, watermelons, bananas, as well as the usual apples. (Are coca-cola and Beck's in that catagory?) (Coca-cola was originally developed for stomach problems, of course back then it had cocaine in it.)

I don't feed carrots because of the sugar and starch content. (Used to as they were about he only thing besides oranges that my mare ate as a treat.)

My WB loves the POM drinks with pomegranate and blueberries in it.

You guys should go check out lavsage! I noticed people saying avocatoes are toxic. Well I've given my horse an avocatoes before and she was fine and lady at my old barn based her horses diet off a completely natural feeding plan. He had very little commercial grain. He would get salads and hay cube mash every single day.

His mashes would have a varity of things such as...

Coconut
    Kale
    Spinach
    Squash
    Sweet Potatoes
    Beets
    Carrots
    Apples
    Pears
    Strawberries
    Almonds
    Cucumbers
    Raspberries
    Blueberries
    Peaches
    Mango
    Cantaloupe
    Plums
    Watermelon
    Cilantro
    Nectarines
    Yams
    Bananas
    Zucchini
    Dates
    Barley with cinnamon and nutmeg and applesauce.
    Cranberries
    Walnuts

He would also get yarrow tea or green tea with some ginger beer mixed in!

Dried cabbage is very good for ulcer horses. Fresh cabbage, however, will cause gas.

apples, carrots, pears and corn husks.

A banana before riding helps to neutralize the acid

3.5 years later, a new person bumps up this thread? I thought for sure it was a spammer. Odd how things get dredged up.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    3.5 years later, a new person bumps up this thread? I thought for sure it was a spammer. Odd how things get dredged up.
    Considering her barn feeds salads, maybe she boards with Caballus. Where is Caballus anyway...seems to be MIA.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I sure get annoyed with myself when I read a whole thread to find out it is one that has been dredged up from antiquity.

Bear in mind that horses are grazers..
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by spaghetti legs View Post
    Lettuce is bad for rats, mice, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc... It gives them diarrhea so I would be wary about giving to horses as a treat?
    Wait- lettuce is bad for guinea pigs? No it isn't! Iceberg lettuce can make them gassy, but green or red leaf, romaine, butter, etc. etc. are fine for them! I've had guinea pigs ever since I was a child and have had some of them live past seven years of age. Every night my current two get a big pile of veg along with their hay. The veg usually includes several leaves of at least one type of lettuce. Their poop looks pretty normal!

Also, rats, mice, rabbits and cavies are all different species, with different nutritional needs, so comparing them to each other, or to horses, doesn't seem super-useful.

Oh, whoops! Didn't realize it was an old thread. Well, it's still interesting- I've never thought of giving my guys pumpkins or watermelons!
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    DOH! I never look at the dates.....

depends on the type of pumpkin! Jack O' Lantern types are not very tasty---pumpkins bred for baking are...

Jumpedfree....Lavsage is incorrect, avocados are indeed toxic to horses. It's not healthy for them. Just like dogs can't have chocolate because it's toxic for them, but often they can sneak some and be fine. Doesn't mean to feed it them.

Lavsage doesn't have the nutrition education to back up her diet and some of it is downright bad for horses. The salads and/or herbs won't cure any of the issues the site claims to either.

But the salads without the avocados won't harm either. I'd not feed them daily due to extremely high natural sugar content, wouldn't want to mess up a horse's insulin. Horses in general aren't designed to ingest and process a lot of sugars. That's why high sugar content hays and high sugar commercial feeds can be bad for them.

But overall snacks and treats sometimes won't bother them if they're otherwise healthy either. Kind of like how one of my geldings steals burgers and the other steals coffee, LOL!

Welcome to Coth!

LauraKY, yeah Caballus hasn't been around in a while. I noticed that too. I think it has something to do with the last thread she started.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte