The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crosby Eq saddles?

I am looking for a Crosby Equilibrium (the old pancake kind not the $2k one). I have heard a couple people say something about getting the old 'real' crosbys, since the leather/etc changed when they were bought(?) by Miller's.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Is the leather really that different? How do you tell an old one from one that was made by Millers?
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

i cant confirm or deny but i wouldnt be surprised the texture of the leather is definatly different than it was back in teh day. I can tell you farm house has a bunch of old crosby prix de nations saddles on consignment for cheap..

I recently purchased an older Equilibrium off Craigslist. I looked for the Tad Coffin model which were made in the 90's. It has a plain flap and a thigh block. The older Crosbys indicate they are made in England on the tag by the stirrup bar. I'm very happy with the leather quality. So much better than my Beval Stamford! If I remember correctly, the Equilibrium was made with German leather, but don't quote me on that. It is slightly better quality than my older PDN which I bought new during the 90's (the made in England days).

I absolutely love the Equlibrium, in all of its plain flap glory. I'm SO happy that I bought it!

there's a lovely old equilibrium in my barn. It's GORGEOUS! the leather is VERY high quality, it's held up super well, and this thing is old. not to mention very comfortable, too. Go for it
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

My Crosby Eq has to be almost as old as I am. I've had it for about 10 years now and love it, although I think I have grown more than it has I know a lot of other riders hate riding in it b/c of the plain flap - I think they just don't really know how to ride Let me know if you come across any 17.5s...
    RIP Adriane, aka Eyesontheground, 6/4/83-9/14/09
    Proudly owned by:
    Veronica II (Vienna Waltz/Woermann)

Quote Originally Posted by Puglet View Post
    I recently purchased an older Equilibrium off Craigslist. I looked for the Tad Coffin model which were made in the 90's. It has a plain flap and a thigh block. The older Crosbys indicate they are made in England on the tag by the stirrup bar. I'm very happy with the leather quality. So much better than my Beval Stamford! If I remember correctly, the Equilibrium was made with German leather, but don't quote me on that. It is slightly better quality than my older PDN which I bought new during the 90's (the made in England days).

I absolutely love the Equlibrium, in all of its plain flap glory. I'm SO happy that I bought it!
    I have found a saddle I'd like to buy...it does say on the inside flap that it is a Tad Coffin Equilibrium. I'd like to think it is one of the older-type leather saddles, however the saddle nail has Millers written across the center, so it has to be the newer type, right?

Sigh.

Wish I could just put my hands on these saddles, but unfortunately no one local has 'em, so I'm resorting to eBay and the bits & barter board.

I've sold 3 Crosby EQs and I got good money for them. I have the oldest one left, my daughter's beloved starter saddle. We loved them!! I wish that I still had them all, but I don't have the riders for them anymore.

The old plain flap saddles were for a purpose. They showed a judge that you could hold your position! You didn't need a padded saddle to do it for you. Those were the days, sigh.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Quote Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
    I have found a saddle I'd like to buy...it does say on the inside flap that it is a Tad Coffin Equilibrium. I'd like to think it is one of the older-type leather saddles, however the saddle nail has Millers written across the center, so it has to be the newer type, right?

Sigh.

Wish I could just put my hands on these saddles, but unfortunately no one local has 'em, so I'm resorting to eBay and the bits & barter board.
    My guess is that it could be one of the older saddles. The top nail head on mine is black with gold lettering. I think it says Millers, but my saddle is indeed one of the older saddles. This nail head is identical to the PDN I purchased new about 1994, which was indeed made in England before the changeover. Is it plain flap? What about the plate by the stirrup bar? Mine says Crosby Olympic Works made in England.

I found mine on craigslist. I also searched eBay, Tack Trader, as well as some of the larger online consignment retailers (Middleburg Tack Exchange, Bucks County Saddlery, Rick's Heritage Saddlery).

I still have pics in my email of my saddle from the seller. If you would like them for reference/comparison with what you find online, let me know!
    Last edited by Puglet; Oct. 12, 2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Puglet View Post
    My guess is that it could be one of the older saddles. The top nail head on mine is black with gold lettering. I think it says Millers, but my saddle is indeed one of the older saddles. This nail head is identical to the PDN I purchased new about 1994, which was indeed made in England before the changeover. Is it plain flap? What about the plate by the stirrup bar? Mine says Crosby Olympic Works made in England.

I found mine on craigslist. I also searched eBay, Tack Trader, as well as some of the larger online consignment retailers (Middleburg Tack Exchange, Bucks County Saddlery, Rick's Heritage Saddlery).

I still have pics in my email of my saddle from the seller. If you would like them for reference/comparison with what you find online, let me know!

Email sent, thank you!