The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chester! He's Alive!

I just had to post about Chester this morning. Some of you may recall that Chessy is the horse we rescued from our neighbors -- he had been thrown out in a field and neglected for at least 3 years, he was ribby, dull-eyes, dull coat, lame (he could barely walk), and just generally depressed. This is the horse who had retreated to a very dark place inside himself.

Well, Chester has been making steady progress. He leads in out of the barn, he loves his stall (they said he would not stay in a stall), his coat is slick and shiney, he's got orthopedic shoes for his navicular, and his eyes are bright. He is curious and clever and full of mischief. He adores his Dad (David) and he has horsey friends!

But what I saw this morning beats all! I almost sat right down and cried with happiness. Chester, Eli and King were out in the field. David had gone out for a run. Suddenly, Chester spied David running down the road back toward home. He picked up his head, arched his neck and full-tilt GALLOPED to the fence line to see his Dad. Of course, Eli and King followed because they would never be left out of a race! After David came into the house, Chester was still hopping and trotting and galloping about. Playing "tag" with Eli.

THEN, Chester picked up a stick (he has incredible lip dexterity!). He dropped it, and then picked it up again, very intentionally. Then, he ran at Eli with the stick. Then, the two of them started running and bucking and Chester was playing keep-away from Eli with the stick! It was the funniest thing to watch!

And such a miracle, truly. This slumped-over, dull old horse who seemed to have given up on life was kicking up his heels and PLAYING. You could almost hear the schoolyard laughter!

Hooray for Chester! Hooray!

Aaaaw! I'm all teary eyed just reading about it. I'm sure I'd be bawling if I'd seen it! What a sweet story. I love hearing about Chester and how happy you and the boys have made him.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Wonderful news!! He may yet be the clown of the party next week!!!
    Congratulations to all of you at King's Ransom. I hope David saw all this too and was touched by Chester's reaction!
    I just love reading your updates!

Thanks, KR, for doing the right thing.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I always look forward to updates on Chester--sitting here eating lunch all misty eyed and smiling
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

I was just thinking ... I look forward to the day when it is no big deal that Chester is out there playing around. When we just look out and say, "Oh, there goes Chester, he's at it again."

I remember (seems like ages ago now) when Elijah first arrived, and he could hardly walk, either. Sidelined by a bad hock. And I remember the first time I saw him gallop across the field. It was snowing. And I did cry. Now, Eli gallops across the field almost every day. I don't cry ... at least not every time.

Have your neighbours ever asked/commented on Chester's new life? I guess they are ashamed (well, if they know what shame is!).

Actually, it's very sad. They have never asked about him one time. Not once have they come by to see him. And even though we sometimes visit when we are out doing yard work, mowing, etc., -- not a word is ever mentioned about Chester. I don't know about them. They are quiet, and they are good neighbors. But there is something amiss in that household. Can't put my finger on it ... but you know your gut feeling?

I am still getting choked up about the moment Chester connected with his Dad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I got a lovely visual of that! Thanks for sharing!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Ohmigosh, that is so sweet. What a heartwarmer. That just made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post

Ditto that!

Yay!

So what's his official role in the wedding?

That was sweet, to know his person was coming and feeling well enough to make a show if how happy he is.

Thanks for sharing that moment with us.

Awwww.... Love these old guys!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

With such previous owners, I have to thank you and David again for taking him. He knows he has won the jackpot and is finally coming out of his shell to enjoy it!
    And just before the wedding. I guess he really approves!

What a beautiful moment! Thanks so much for sharing it.
    Please consider adopting a horse from NY Sunshine Horses!

KR-Chester must have heard about the trip to Tuscany and wants to convince you to take him with you. He wouldn't be the most interesting 'person' I've had for a seatmate on the airlines.

I'm so happy for all of you and Chester. And his old owners (I refuse to call them family) obviously never cared about him, so they just aren't interested in him now-I guess it's better than having them whining about wanting him back the way some others have.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post

And such a miracle, truly. This slumped-over, dull old horse who seemed to have given up on life was kicking up his heels and PLAYING. You could almost hear the schoolyard laughter!

That make me weepy....*sniff* I love to see that spark come back in their eye.