The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack stores around Philadelphia PA?

I'm going from Buffalo NY to Philadelphia PA next Friday and will be coming back on Saturday. Any tack stores (other than Rick's) that are worth hitting up on the trip?

How far from Philly are you willing to travel?
    Everyone knows about Bartville Harness at the edge of Lancaster County near Chester County and there's Dover in Hockessin, DE. Dansko outlet and factory, Bit Of Britain and for supplies there's a new supply store near Fair Hill Training Center focusing on race horse needs. But the best chocolate around is Neuchatel and they make it in Oxford, PA and in Oxford is Outback Trading Post factory outlet too.

So Dansko, Outback, Neuchatel, Bartville, Bit of Britain, Dover Saddlery are approximately within 30-45 minutes of each other but 45-60 minutes from Philly.

Did you ever see the Harrison Ford movie Witness where they filmed in Philly and Lancaster? It's all in the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    I'm going from Buffalo NY to Philadelphia PA next Friday and will be coming back on Saturday. Any tack stores (other than Rick's) that are worth hitting up on the trip?

I'd prefer to stick to stores that are west of Philadelphia (so I'm not going farther east than Philly).. But I'd be willing to go farther for a really good store.

A Bit of Heaven in Collegeville? Too far out for you? They don't have as much stuff as Ricks (depending on what you are looking for) but they are pretty well stocked.

I went to Rick's, Dover, and Bartsville. The Dover store was SOO nice. It's raised my opinion of Dover quite a bit... too bad I can't drive to Delaware whenever I need anything. Rick's was so much fun to walk around and look at all the rooms of STUFF. The drive to Bartsville was so pretty, and OMG that place is the best ever. Seriously, I think I may have to limit my leather-good purchasing to once or twice a year and just go there and go nuts. I got stirrup leathers for $35 (same as the Nunn Finer ones from BoB for $57), and an elastic hunting breastplate for $88 (same as Nunn Finer for $168). Incredible deals, and the leather is just so nice. I'm in love!