The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Tail Bag- How to ?'s

Ok so I thought I could figure it out on my own, but I really can't tell how I'm supposed to use my new tail bag.
    It is one like this

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/ly...nch/SLT771011/

So how do I get each section of the braid into it's own tube?
    How far up to I start the braid ?(I'm guessing you don't start braiding until under the tail bone?)
    And I'm also going to assume that I just rubberband the Lycra when I'm done braiding?

My Horse is pasture boarding this winter and I'd like to keep her tail up out of the mud. Can I tie up the braid somehow?

I know that I have to unbraid it from time to time to let it dry, but how often do I need to do it?

Thanks COTHers!

1. Brush clean tail.
    2. Tie tailbag very tightly just under bone, around all hair.
    3. Stick arm* into one tube from bottom end and grab 1/3 of hair. Repeat til all 3 tubes are full
    4. Braid.
    5. Knot end, then knot halfway up the braid too - this really keeps the tailbag in.
    6. Undo and repeat every couple weeks.

* If arm will not fit into tube, curse manufacturer and stick index finger in til you can hook the hair with it and pull it into the tube. Such a PITA!

These tail knots also work really well to keep hair out of the mud!
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Or a bent hanger with the hook end taped together (to slide thru the bag) works well to pull the hair thru a too skinny section.

Default Thanks!

Thanks I will try both of those suggestions as soon as it is warm enough to be outside without gloves on. It's been in the single digits here at night... Brr!

Oh - I and try to take mine down at least once every couple of weeks. Reconditon and then rewrap. I do know people that will leave them in as long as they will stay too. I'm lucky to get a week. LOL

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    Or a bent hanger with the hook end taped together (to slide thru the bag) works well to pull the hair thru a too skinny section.
    The tube-bags that I used to buy came with a bent heavy wire (like a painted coat hanger) and an electic contector cap to hold the two cut ends together. I would put the wire into the tube, hook the tail section through the wire, and pull it through the tube.

As to the bottom, there should be enough material below the tail hair to tie it in a knot. Or you can put a human hair tie on it if not.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams