The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tad Coffin Saddle

Has anyone ever had their Tad Coffin saddle refurbished? If so, were you satisfied with the result? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Do you mean sending an old TC back to Tad to have work done, tree replaced, or ?? My trainer did this with one of his older saddles, got the newest tree put in, different blocks added, and the seat "softened" -- it was fairly expensive ($1,400 as I recall) but it was kind of like a new saddle when it came back. Except they forgot to fix one thing, and trainer didn't want to pay to ship it back again, so that was a little disappointing.

I sent my TC saddle back at one point when I had some tree issues and they fixed it for no charge (under warranty) and also replaced the billets as he didn't like how they looked, and shipped it back to me in no time at all. I mean, I called the day it was supposed to arrive at his shop just to check in, and it was already taken apart and being rebuilt -- I think they shipped it out the next day. I was really happy with what they did then and in particular the quick turnaround as I didn't have another saddle to ride in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Do you mean sending an old TC back to Tad to have work done, tree replaced, or ?? My trainer did this with one of his older saddles, got the newest tree put in, different blocks added, and the seat "softened" -- it was fairly expensive ($1,400 as I recall) but it was kind of like a new saddle when it came back. Except they forgot to fix one thing, and trainer didn't want to pay to ship it back again, so that was a little disappointing.

I sent my TC saddle back at one point when I had some tree issues and they fixed it for no charge (under warranty) and also replaced the billets as he didn't like how they looked, and shipped it back to me in no time at all. I mean, I called the day it was supposed to arrive at his shop just to check in, and it was already taken apart and being rebuilt -- I think they shipped it out the next day. I was really happy with what they did then and in particular the quick turnaround as I didn't have another saddle to ride in at the time.

Dear horsepoor:
    Thanks for your reply. That is exactly what I'm talking about. My Tad Coffin saddle is from 2001, so I'm sure that it needs refurbishing. I spoke to Tad and he said that they could refurbish it with the new technology at a similar price to what your trainer paid. As you say, it is rather expensive (but less than buying a new saddle of this quality). I really love my saddle and am afraid that I will have all this work done and not find the saddle as comfortable as it is right now. The massage therapist that works on my horse suggested that the saddle is not fitting my horse quite right anymore and it needs to be "re-flocked". As I understand it, Tad doesn't do "re-flocking", he does re-furbishing. I'm torn. I'm encouraged that you had good results and quick service on your saddle. Any final suggestions? Thanks so much!