The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Ohio QH Congress has live webcast - on now.

OK, got the right links revised below:

For the first time, the Ohio QH Congress has a free live webcast. Hunter Classic is the first OF event, Saturday evening. Green Working Hunter and all fence classes start Sunday and go for a couple days. Feed seems to work well and there is a live chat alongside. Or, you can get a full screen picture by right clicking little X on lower right screen. The OF fence classes are in the Celeste arena. This show (and live webcast) will go for a couple of weeks more.

Reelhorse live webcast for Celeste (Over Fence): http://www.ustream.tv/channel/reelhorse-celeste-center

Reelhorse live webcast for coliseum :
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/reelhorse-coliseum

Link for both windows: http://www.reelhorse.com/

Schedule by the day: http://www.oqha.com/congress/index.p...tent&task=view
    Last edited by Plumcreek; Oct. 10, 2009 at 06:59 PM.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Tonight is freestyle reining. I watched for a while yesterday, no problems with the feed. There is also a real time chat feature.

Thank you! I go down every year to watch the hunters, but am not able to go until later next week, so at least I can watch it online!

Bump for revisions and Hunter Classic updated start time of 5 pm Ohio time. Schooling now with just a wide angle lens of whole arena. I imagine they will have a better video for the classes as they sell the videos???
    Last edited by Plumcreek; Oct. 10, 2009 at 03:24 PM.

I so don't understand the point of hunter classes at this.

i'm watching the non pro hunter right now.. does anyone know how high they jump?

Quote Originally Posted by JinxyFish313 View Post
    I so don't understand the point of hunter classes at this.
    Ditto. I've only seen one trip where the horse was fluid, forward and jumping well. The rest are just awkward trantering things with pencil-thin necks and a FLAT jump.

The horses that will win are the people that show on the A circuit the rest of the year. Everyone else might jump local 4h and schooling show and will look it.

So look for what you would want to ride, and as the finals get closer these are the horses that are still in for the running.

ok, so does it play after the annoying commercials?

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Ditto. I've only seen one trip where the horse was fluid, forward and jumping well. The rest are just awkward trantering things with pencil-thin necks and a FLAT jump.
    To me, its like having a western reining class at some warmblood stallion trial or something. I'm not knocking people who are into it, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JinxyFish313 View Post
    To me, its like having a western reining class at some warmblood stallion trial or something. I'm not knocking people who are into it, it just doesn't make any sense to me.
    OK, I'll bite. So exactly what western class is a 16-3 hand, registered Quarter Horse, who is more than 3/4 TB, with a 12' - 13' stride supposed to show in?

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    OK, I'll bite. So exactly what western class is a 16-3 hand, registered Quarter Horse, who is more than 3/4 TB, with a 12' - 13' stride supposed to show in?
    Regular Hunter/Jumper shows?

In my opinion, a 16.3 QH who is 3/4 TB and has a 12-13' stride is going to look REALLY out of place in a HUS class at an AQHA show! Doesn't really fit in with the modified western pleasure in english tack mould.

Well, the root of the problem, in my opinion, is the fact that they're breeding them like that. I'm sorry, but they're not attractive horses - most of the ones I saw tonight were long backed and long necked with thin necks and bigger heads.

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    One of the juniors showing in the overfences classes is my barnmate, and she shows her two QH on the A circuit here in California and does quite well. Last year she was AQHYA world champion, this year she finished again in the top 5 on both horses.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

Even better, she was double world champion and had the national junior hunter champion/west a few days later.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

In my opinion, a 16.3 QH who is 3/4 TB and has a 12-13' stride is going to look REALLY out of place in a HUS class at an AQHA show! Doesn't really fit in with the modified western pleasure in english tack mould.
    I thought we were talking about fence horses here. In AQHA, HUS is NOT the U/S class.

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    One of the juniors showing in the overfences classes is my barnmate, and she shows her two QH on the A circuit here in California and does quite well. Last year she was AQHYA world champion, this year she finished again in the top 5 on both horses.
    I'm not saying there aren't some who do both wonderfully, I know there are, but I do think the majority are not so lovely to watch. But that was kind of my point. A nice, big appendix QH with a good stride SHOULD, IMO, be able to perform on the A circuit as well as do AQHA shows. Most of them could not.

And my apologies, I didn't realize that the HUS classes were not connected to an OF class.

I'm not saying there aren't some who do both wonderfully, I know there are, but I do think the majority are not so lovely to watch. But that was kind of my point. A nice, big appendix QH with a good stride SHOULD, IMO, be able to perform on the A circuit as well as do AQHA shows. Most of them could not.

And my apologies, I didn't realize that the HUS classes were not connected to an OF class.
    Yes, common mis-conception that the HUS class is a "hunter under saddle class" when really it is an english pleasure class (even though the rule book is written as a Hunter under saddle class). I had hopes there for awhile, when AQHA crunched down on the judges for pinning the low headed horses. That sort of backfired as, when exhibitors were forced to let the horses raise their heads and free up, the larger, longer legged, more TB horses could no longer be held into a very slow canter, so more compact "westerny" horses that could and (mentally) would maintain a very slow canter, when allowed more freedom, started winning. Be careful what you wish for.

Re the A Circuit - Depends. Most of the horses on the A Circuit (by the entry numbers) are not showing in the 3'6" + rated divisions, but are in the lower non-rated divisions. Many quarter horses do show very successfully in the lower divisions, and yes, they probably could not move up to 3'6", but neither can many TBs and Warmbloods that show on the A Circuit.

Just to add. More recently the MONSTER QH's are the ones showing in the HUS, not the fences. And yes, I think they look awkward as well.

Watching the classic last night, I thought the trips were actually quite nice (i didnt watch the non-pro). I picked out a handful that I would have loved to see jump bigger.

As was said, regular h/j shows...or not at all? You find a horse appropriate for the class, not tailor the class to the horse.