The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bloodhounds as farm dogs? Hardy enough to be outdoor dogs?

I'm thinking they are too prone to follow a scent and take off to be a true stick-around-the-farm dog. Thoughts? Also, given a place to get out of the wind (the barn) and a heated crate pad/heated water/free choice food, would a Bloodhound be hardy enough to be a barn dog in central Iowa? Anyone have one?

Sorry if these questions sound silly, but know little about the breed except for the obvious characteristics like their superior noses and their bark/howl. I have three Dobies who are indoor couch potatoes. So any info would be appreciated!

Bloodhounds are very hardy dogs so would do well outside. However, they are not known to stick around. They will follow a scent and most will track it until they loose the scent. I would not leave one loose around your farm because it will most likely go tracking unless you have fencing that prevents him from leaving the property.

I have a coonhound and he is not allowed outside off a leash. Even with the leash he tries to track scents and can be VERY hard to pull off of it. I am thinking of fencing my property with wire fencing over my board fence so he can have the run of my farm. Until I do that I feel it is safer to keep him on a leash. Good luck, I love hounds because of their sweet and funny personalities.

We had a foxhound at our farm for many years. She was a wonderful dog, great pet/farm dog. We never had to worry about racoons in the barn.

But there were times she would leave in the morning, we would not see her all day, and then at 11:00 pm there would be a scratch at the door.

A little off-topic but I've heard that some Bloodhounds have aggressive tendencies, which surprised me. Can any Bloodhound owners confirm or deny?

I have German Shorthairs which are a versatile hunting dog (very strong nose and these two have extreme hunt drives) and they are great farm dogs. I dont have much experience with Bloodhounds, but the Germans are very much about THEIR people and want to be with them. I would bet bloodhounds are too. Just make sure you spend time with them so they dont get bored and feel that they have to hunt for themselves. We also have noclimb wire over our boards and electric tape on the top boards. They are outside from 7am to like 10-11pm all day running around chasing bugs and birds and what not and do fine. I think having 2 of them allows them to entertain each other when we cant though.

Are you specifically interested in the bloodhound for a reason? Are there other dogs you might consider?
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

we have a bloodhound at the barn where we boarded dd's mare. he is a terrific dog...very good natured(puts up with my doofus aussiex). he does not roam and does not have a mean bone in his body. it is the lab that you have to watch every minute.

Not asking for me....asking for friends. There happens to be an adorable 2 y/o female at the ARL (saw when I was there yesterday dropping off the pregnant cat). I just didn't have any experience with bloodhounds to offer to them

Thanks!

Here is a link to the bloodhound rescue that is by me. They have a great section on pro's and con's
    http://www.southeastbloodhoundrescue.net/proscons.html

I considered a bloodhound when we were looking but I am a coonie lover and got another one of them. With proper management they are WONDERFUL pets!

3horsemom lol "it is the lab that you have to watch every minute" I have the same problem with my lab!

I have 2 hounds (3 at the moment, if you count the foster beagle). THey are hardy dogs, but they prefer having their own couch to living outside.
    I second, third, fourth the comments about needing a fenced yard. All scent hounds are genetically programmed to follow their noses from hundreds of years of breeding. If you don't have a fence, you have to keep them on a tie-out.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

shakey tails- In answer to are bloodhounds agressive?
    A friend had a female that attacked me while I was feeding her dinner. She left welts on my wrists. Over the next 5 years the incidences became worse until she finally bit the owner bad enough that the owner had to get 12 stitches. Doggie didn't come home from the vet that night. To be fair the dog was a puppy mill dog from Lancaster County, PA so likely did not have the best initial 8 weeks of life or best genetics.
    The owners husband had numerous bloodhounds while growing up and none of then ever had aggressive traits.

I am not sure if the aggression is common in that breed, something that occurs occasionally or something that occurs very rarely. But you asked for experiences.
    When that dogs switch was in the normal position she was a great dog. But weird things would trigger her aggression switch.
    - Verbally reprimanding her for trying to get into the kitchen trash can
    - Wouldn't let the owner into his truck one time
    - Owners adult son who lived in the house when to unclip her from her tie out to let her in and she bit his hand. Dog was at the back door asking to come in.
    - Making eye contact with her after she picked up a napkin that had fallen on the floor triggered a run across the room attack
    - I had prepped her food and put it on the floor and she wouldn't eat. I went to walk out of the kitchen and she lunged at my face. I was fine as long as I didn't try to leave the kitchen.

I think the recommendation of going to a rescues website and reading the pros and cons is a GREAT idea. That is exactly what we did prior to getting our GSPs. If it works out, we want pics of the puppy! I love bloodhounds but know they can have health issues with those long ears, etc.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I have a bloodhound as a personal dog (and have fostered several).. all were excellent at holding down the sofa all day and their dog beds all night.

Is the one at ARL in a foster home or could your friends foster to see how it reacts?

Oh and my own BH is aggressive with children... which is why she stayed with us. I would be too concerned with the legal issues of her leaving my custody. She doesn't bite but after a period of playing she "savages" them with her head (and her mouth is closed). Its still extremely scary. I *think* in her mind she's playing but I refuse to take a chance. She was a puppy mill rescue also..
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

My family raised bloodhounds for many years, so I have known quite a lot of them. Honestly, they are terrible farm dogs. Definitely tough enough to live outside, though.

For the most part sweet personalities. Of the two that I knew (out of MANY puppies over many years) that were aggressive, one had been sent to a trainer who used very abusive training techniques and became a "fear biter", the other wasn't really aggressive, just a big, dominant male who was just born that way but had a very successful career as a police (tracking) dog with no issues. Mostly they have very loving personalities, although they will protect their home.

BUT, they wander. None of our dogs could be let loose for even five minutes it seemed. Seriously. They would get on a scent and go. and go. and go...off into the woods, in front of a car, etc. If their nose was on the ground, they would not come when they were called either. They were a disaster around the barn. They would be so busy smelling something they would walk right into the hind end of a horse, or in front of a moving horse, whatever, and that was just in the two minutes right before they would start tracking something off the farm. When they were smelling something it was like the rest of their brain was just turned completely off. Their vision is not very good, either, so it is hard for them to be attentive to horses, vehicles, etc.

I have known other hound breeds, and bloodhounds can't really be compared, IME.

Any kind of hound is a good hound! But not so much if you want an off the leash, shadow, come-when-called kind of dog.

As far as agression goes, I think that its only occasionally that you see the kind of agression that a previous poster mentioned. Most are extremely laid back. But they can also be loyal to a fault; one of my coonies, is. The UPS and Fed Ex TRUCKS set him rampaging thru the house, hackles up. And thats just when they drive by. I have no doubt that he would attack an intruder. But if we're home and tell him its ok, he's suspicius, but calm. Our other coonhound has never met a stranger... they are complete polar opposites.

However, same "oh my gosh, pet me!!!" dog has attacked our other dog over the smell of bloodmeal fertilizer and sent him to the vet for stitches.

IMO, I believe that dogs that we bred to track down and corner game (ie, scent hounds) can tend to have a mean streak in them, and heaven only knows what could set it off. But would I ever give up my dogs? Heck no! I think hounds are fantastic dogs, and I would have more if I could. But they certainly are not for the faint of heart. Most days are adventures.
    I have Higher Standards... do you?
    Apalachicola Native (Alfie), '02 TB Gelding,
    Wild Man of Borneo (Hank), '03 Redtick coonhound,
    Augustus McRae (Gus), '01 Bluetick coonhound