The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Suggestions for DIET dry dog food? - update on Wellness

My airfern Corgi does very well on 3/4 cup of Nutro Lite daily, but I would rather find something more high-quality - big dog is on Nature's Variety Prairie, which I like a lot.

Any recommendations for DIET dry food for the Tribble? (Please don't just direct me to Dogfoodanalysis - it would take me weeks of wading through their lists comparing calories.)

Thanks!
    Last edited by Guin; Oct. 9, 2009 at 06:51 PM.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Wellness core reduced fat or Premium edge weight loss formula. Most "light" dog foods, such as Nutro lite, are a joke- carb-heavy stuff that is likely to increase body fat, reduce body muscle, and cause the dog to become lethargic thus getting fatter. Wellness core reduced fat and premium edge weight loss are both high in protein, low in carbs, low in fats; a formula that should reduce body fat, increase body muscle, and promote activity.

My fatty is on the low fat California Natural dry kibble. It's pretty good nutritionally (not great like what my other dogs are on but I had to trade off a little for the lower cals) and the lowest cals I could find per cup. She seems to really like it although I do mix in some green beans and canned pumpkin to make her feel a little more full. I tried her on Wellness (which looks better then Cal Nat nutritionally) but she wouldn't eat it.

I really like the Wellness line of dog foods as well.

Thanks, I will try one of the Wellness products. (core: 350 cal/cup; weight mgt: 325 cal/cup).

According to dogfoodanalysis, the California Natural is 391 calories per cup and is mostly rice, not meat.

Nutro is still the lowest-calorie of all of them, though, at 244 cal/cup. I will try the Wellness and feed less of it, I guess.

I love my Tribble even though she's a chub!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Taste of the Wild! Not a diet food per say, but my dogs look FANTASTIC, and it has a great guide right on the bag so it'd be easy to feed your dog and help it lose a little weight. I have an ugly black dog and since she's been on this food, I get a ton of compliments on how beautiful she is...weird. And they all love it!

Nutro is still the lowest-calorie of all of them, though, at 244 cal/cup. I will try the Wellness and feed less of it, I guess.
    don't just go by the kcal/cup; many dogs directly convert carbohydrates into body fat. So assuming you feed equal amounts of kcal per day you'll get better results with a food that has a higher percent protein (i.e. fewer carbohydrates). Better to feed a smaller amount of a higher protein food than more of a lower protein food the dog will lose body fat and build muscle. Many people find that dogs put on high protein no-carb raw diets rapidly lose their body fat and build nice muscles without having to restrict calories.
    Some foods I would suggest:
    Performatrim slim care (27% protein; fish and oatmeal; 310 kcal/cup)
    Wellness Core reduced fat (30% protein; chicken and potato; 350 kcal/cup)
    Premium Edge weight loss (44% protein; chicken and peas; 347 kcal/cup)
    Premium Edge healthy weight (25% protein; chicken and oatmeal; 305 kcal/cup)

Would not suggest:
    Wellness weight control (only 17% protein i.e. mostly carbs; 325 kcal/cup)
    Nutro lite (only 17% protein i.e. mostly carbs; 225 kcal/cup)
    Royal canin labrador (claims it's 30% protein, but it's mostly corn gluten; 321 kcal/cup)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley0522 View Post
    Taste of the Wild! Not a diet food per say, but my dogs look FANTASTIC, and it has a great guide right on the bag so it'd be easy to feed your dog and help it lose a little weight. I have an ugly black dog and since she's been on this food, I get a ton of compliments on how beautiful she is...weird. And they all love it!
    do you know how much the food costs for a 15lb bag? I am thinking of switchin to th Pacific Stream Formula.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Default Wellness

My JRT does well on Wellness Core reduced fat. (She did NOT do well on the Wellness DIET, it actually made her sick and she stopped eating.) She is no longer a little pudge ball. I give her 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup at night. She is maintaining her weight of about 17 to 18 pounds. (Before she was up to 21 lbs on regular dog food.)

Any reason why you just can't feed less? I had one dog that would gain weight on anything, it really was a portion control issue.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My girls does fine on the Nutro lite. She does not approve of portion control . . .and will start eating inappropriate things if she gets hungry.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    Any reason why you just can't feed less? I had one dog that would gain weight on anything, it really was a portion control issue.
    If I fed her any less, it would be 1/4 cup morning and night. That's really not sufficient for a 30-lb active dog that runs 2 miles off-leash a day. I want to feed her something that is better nutritionally than what she's getting, but has a similar low-calorie count.

Wendy: Thank you for the good info regarding carb calories vs. protein calories. That is the sort of information I was looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    do you know how much the food costs for a 15lb bag? I am thinking of switchin to th Pacific Stream Formula.
    I pay $25 and change around here (Boston). The 30lb bag is like $46.78.

I have an air-fern corgi, too. He is 10 yrs old.Not quite as active as yours. I try to keep his weight at 26-28 pounds. He gains weight when acorns fall and when june bugs come.
    He gets a 6th of a can of Instinct Lamb Oatmeal and a 1/8 cup of Exclusive Lamb & Rice dry kibble.
    This is the food combination that works for him. If I change his food, especially the canned, he gets a good case of diarrhea. Finding the Instinct food can be difficult because not many locally carry it. So I buy enough to last months and replenish before the supply gets too low.

Now the coonhound is a different story --too busy to keep weight on.

"If I fed her any less, it would be 1/4 cup morning and night. That's really not sufficient for a 30-lb active dog that runs 2 miles off-leash a day. I want to feed her something that is better nutritionally than what she's getting, but has a similar low-calorie count."

Who says it isn't sufficient? I'm not asking sarcastically, really wondering. I agree you can certainly find a higher quality food, but my highly active competition agility dog, who weighs in at a lean 37 lbs. gets a whopping 1/3 of a cup twice a day when she is on kibble. She's a very easy keeper, and it's the only way I can keep her lean enough that I feel comfortable with her weight for her activity level. I wouldn't want her running agility , or even just pursuing her normal high activity level, heavy.

I think that getting her on to a higher protein/lower carb food could help, even if the calories end up being a bit higher. While I do mostly raw/Honest Kitchen with my dog, I've never been happier with her on any kibble than on Orijen. It keeps her very lean and muscular, great coat, and she loves it.

I love how my dog does on the Wellness food. It's not the diet formula, but I know they have several different formulas to choose from.

If I fed her any less, it would be 1/4 cup morning and night. That's really not sufficient for a 30-lb active dog that runs 2 miles off-leash a day. I
    What do you mean by "not sufficient"? if the dog is overweight on whatever you happen to feed it certainly is more than sufficient. Do not pay any attention to the feeding guidelines on the bag- they are usually more than double what any normal dog needs. Frankly, I would classify "2 miles" as barely-adequate-exercise, so for a 30 pound corgi (tend to be easy keepers) it certainly makes sense she would need very few calories. I have a very active (4 hr+ hard daily exercise) very lean 58 pound athletic competitive dog who only needs around 1000 kcal/day; most dog food feeding guides would suggest he eat at least double what he does, on which he'd be way too heavy and he'd hurt himself and wouldn't be as athletic as he is. If you're feeding way below what the bag of food suggests, you can try adding a human multivitamin once a week to make sure the low amount of food isn't leading to a vitamin/mineral deficiency.

volume-wise you mean? as in the dog might be hungry? honestly dogs are designed to eat wet food. Wet food is 85% water. If you took equal calorie amounts of wet food and dry food and compared the volumes you'd see that the dog fed dry food is going to be feel hungry all the time no matter what- 350 kcal of dry food fills 1 cup; 350 kcal of the same food containing 85% water would fill more than 6 cups of volume. If you're concerned about feeding small volumes of dry food you can do the "green bean" trick where you bulk the food up with well-cooked vegetables. This works more to make the owner feel better about what is being fed than any impact on the dog, but if that's what it takes, do it. Fat dogs are unhealthy dogs.

When we rescued my mini dachshund she was 21 lbs and practically dragging on the ground. We put her on Solid Gold weight management formula and she is down to 14 healthy lbs. (: I really love their food--excellent quality and ingredients. Her coat is super silky and shiny now too and she seems about four years younger.

We also only gave her raw carrots for treats... she loves baby carrots. They fill her up between meals but don't add weight.

I am reviving this to say thank you to the folks who recommended the Wellness Core reduced fat. I can't say that Tribble is any skinnier, but she's definitely not fatter, plus her coat is VERY shiny. I'm very pleased!