The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tank/trough heaters

I have heated automatic waterers in all of my fields, but have leased a field from a neighbor for turnout. We have been using a metal stock tank in there all summer, but now I need to keep the water from freezing (and I should have worked on this just a little sooner, as it's going to be 19 degrees Saturday night!). I have never had to use tank heaters, and I'm wondering what the best one to buy is. I also have one horse who is very playful, and I'm worried about him taking the heater out or chewing on it.

Advice on what I should buy and how I can prevent the horses from playing with it?

I too live in the wild wild west. Lovely weather we are having, huh? Anyway, I have the sinkable tank heaters. Solid rings look like donuts and they feature a long cord (5-6 ft) to the electricity source. I don't like the floaters they get played with. And if it is a problem you can always encase the cords in PVC pipe with elbows, make an upside down U shape bottom of the tank over the top and to the ground to protect the heaters and cords.
    Proud to be owned by Just Walter
    and member of the *Barefoot Eventers Clique*

Mine would play with and remove the pvc elbpw. I would sink double fence posts where the tank is and stick one end through the fence and do the cord and pvc elbow there. Or spend the bucks for a rubbermaid with drain hole heater, up against the fence. But even with the rubbermaid, I have a stout pvc pipe over my virtually unreachable cord and still find chew marks on it when the water gets low and the tank can be shoved around.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I love my rubbermaid with drain plug heater. Had it for 3 years so far and haven't had a problem. I actually found a great deal on the heaters 3 years ago and bought two. The spare has been sitting in the box, unused for if/when I need it.

1 members found this post helpful.

My rubbermaid was melted when the tank heater came into contact with it and my horse started playing with the 8 inches of water and tank heater. Ugh. Anyway there are metal tubs with holes and plugs too.
    Proud to be owned by Just Walter
    and member of the *Barefoot Eventers Clique*

Quote Originally Posted by ttldr1 View Post
    I love my rubbermaid with drain plug heater. Had it for 3 years so far and haven't had a problem. I actually found a great deal on the heaters 3 years ago and bought two. The spare has been sitting in the box, unused for if/when I need it.
    That's what I used last winter... no problems, no frozen water

Ditto on the rubbermaid. Ours is on a fence line with the cord on the side where blind Pockets pony lives, not with the two TB clowns.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Quote Originally Posted by ttldr1 View Post
    Like others - this is what I use and it works great.

Default ditto

Quote Originally Posted by kipster View Post
    Like others - this is what I use and it works great.
    the rubbermaid and plug heater.
    Get larger than you think youll need to avoid filling on blizzard days--the "must clean taank daily" worry doesnt apply when -20 hits--plenty of liquid h20 does--iM CURRENTLY PLANNING An insulated cover to keep heat in/electric use down but they really dont use too much electricity. klr

I purchased the rubbermaid heater, but the instructions said to be sure it was grounded.

Since I am plugging it into an extension cord to run to the barn, but don't have a ground, I returned it.

How many just plug it into a non gfi outlet?

I've got no power where the trough is, so I need to run an extension cord into the barn, which I figure gives them even more to play with if they are pulling the heater out of the water. And smart ideas on how to best use the extension cord?

There's a difference between "grounded" and a "gfi" (ground fault interupt). Unless it's an old outlet,the three prong outlets should all grounded. You want to make sure to use a three prong outside extension cord. (Of course, they tell you not to use it with an extension cord too)!

So, do folks use the 3 prong extension cord, plugged into a gfi outlet without a ground attached to the heater?

Another vote for the Rubbermaid and the drain plug heaters

Has anybody used a metal tank with a drain plug heater? I bought a drain plug heater this weekend for our metal tank, but haven't hooked it up yet. Right now I've got one of the sinking heaters in there.

One hint that someone at Lowe's passed along. If you are using an extension cord, buy some rubber electrical tape, and tape all around where you plug the heater cord into the extension cord. Hopefully that will help keep moisture out.

If electricity is an issue, I would get a solar Bob trough (www.horse.com) and get also get a submersible tank heater or a couple of large, heated, muck buckets or water buckets.

Years ago, we had a severe cold spell. Our electricity in the barn is barely adequate for our needs. The submersible trough heater must have drawn more electricity than we had. The circuit breaker blew, and the water tank froze solidly. In the early am, I went to the barn and found a frozen water trough and a colicky, dehydrated, horse.

One day and $1200 later, the horse was home from the vet hospital and I realized I had to figure out something better for the heating of water on the coldest night. We now use several heated water buckets in the barn and the barn aisle, and a solar bob trough outside. Now, there is water, even if we lose electricity. The heated water buckets do not draw as much electricity as the trough heater, so we have not blown the circuit breaker again.

We use a GFI outdoor extension cord plugged into a GFI outlet. We also hang the part of the cord with the plug from a hook so it's not laying on the ground. Haven't had any trouble in 4 years.

Ok, so being dense here, none of you actually ground the actual heater?

just use gfi ext cords into gfi outlets?

Rubbermaid trough with plug hole heater too. I plug into a heavy gauge outdoor extension cord with no ground, and I plug the cord into a GFI outlet.

Plug runs through fence so the horse cannot play with it.

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    I purchased the rubbermaid heater, but the instructions said to be sure it was grounded.

Since I am plugging it into an extension cord to run to the barn, but don't have a ground, I returned it.

How many just plug it into a non gfi outlet?
    The National ELectric Code accepts a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFI) in place of a ground. So if you don't have a grounded circuit, simply purchase a portable GFCI and plug your heater's extension cord into it. Test the GFCI each time you fill the tank. (as recommended periodic testing )
    Last edited by hosspuller; Oct. 15, 2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: clarification