The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Color Gurus - what color is this Appaloosa?

I'd say "Leopard", however, someone who is in the Appaloosa business will chime in soon.

Looks like a blanket... to me at least, but then it looks like he's roaning into a leopard. Gotta love Apps!
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I would say blanket on those photos. Horse may roan out in front, or not. Our Appy was similarly colored, never got any lighter in front.

Leopard means like a Dalmation dog, spots on white background all over the body. Spots may be large, small some of both, Peacock or halo spots, but color on the white bodied horse. Color on white, he is a Leopard Appy.

Here is an Appy pattern site:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CAsQ9QEwAA

Leopards are my favorite pattern, with spotting of black, red, brown colors or some of each color spots on the body.

Horses like this usually begin life with a blanket over the rear and spots in the blanket and solid in front, then, as they age they get more and more roan hair, revealing the spots that were in the darker coat when they were younger. So technically he is a blanket, but some may consider him a near leopard

1 members found this post helpful.

Mine is very similar to this one and he is described as a leopard on his papers--he's pretty much the same in his baby pix on his registration papers as he is now at 13.

I just did some HCs for some clients with ApHC show horses. He'd go down as a b/w (or maybe grey and white-it's hard to tell on my crappy work monitor) leopard.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

The easiest way to tell the true coat pattern on an app that has started to roan out is to wet them down. Once the hair is wet, the white is translucent and you can see the pattern on the skin of the horse. While hair pigment commonly changes over time in apps, skin pigment does not.

I would guess that the horse in question originally had a more defined blanket and that his front has varnished/roaned/grayed. That's my guess, based on his current hair color, but I've certainly been wrong before.

ooh I love that link.. I guess my horse is a "few spot leapord". He's been called a white roan (seriously???) He has random spots all over... "few" spots. and was probably a red roan as a baby... now he is mostly white with red hairs sprinkled through when you look closely, and reddish brown on his ears and leg joints.

Thanks for the imput - I wanted to make sure I had my Appy termanology correct when folks called about him.

oh wow he looks just like my horse!!! I had to take a double take.
    I would describe him just like shawnee did.

each year my horses front gets lighter as he roans out.

for most people I say he is a leopard spot because they know that.
    Formally Marinewife91

He's adorable, whatever official color he is.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by murphyluv View Post
    ooh I love that link.. I guess my horse is a "few spot leapord". He's been called a white roan (seriously???) He has random spots all over... "few" spots. and was probably a red roan as a baby... now he is mostly white with red hairs sprinkled through when you look closely, and reddish brown on his ears and leg joints.

What you are describing is not a TRUE fewspot, which is a homozygous coat pattern. A true few spots has NOT spots, and if you wet them they are nearly entirely pink skinned except on the "Edges" where you might see some dark pigment "spotting" going into the dark pigment. But true few spots are born that way, they don't "roan out" to get whiter. Yours sounds more like a varnish roan that may have or may not have had some sort of a blanket (like a lacey type of blanket). Where apps are concerned there is a lot of variety, but the terms fewspot and snowcap mean something quite specific to app breeders, since they are homozygous patterns (meaning they will always produce foals with app color/characteristics). My stallion is a snowcap, he had a large solid white blanket from just behind his withers back over rump. His front has now roaed out a good bit, but not totally, but he hasn't got one "spot" on him anywhre which is indicative of him being a snowcap

I would say Leopard. The spots appear to be running up his neck as well as the rest of his body.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    What you are describing is not a TRUE fewspot, which is a homozygous coat pattern. A true few spots has NOT spots, and if you wet them they are nearly entirely pink skinned except on the "Edges" where you might see some dark pigment "spotting" going into the dark pigment. But true few spots are born that way, they don't "roan out" to get whiter. Yours sounds more like a varnish roan that may have or may not have had some sort of a blanket (like a lacey type of blanket). Where apps are concerned there is a lot of variety, but the terms fewspot and snowcap mean something quite specific to app breeders, since they are homozygous patterns (meaning they will always produce foals with app color/characteristics). My stallion is a snowcap, he had a large solid white blanket from just behind his withers back over rump. His front has now roaed out a good bit, but not totally, but he hasn't got one "spot" on him anywhre which is indicative of him being a snowcap
    Oh, ok, so a true fewspot does not show spots in the hair coat? Murphy has small brown spots all over his body... probably less than a dozen. So he's a leapard?

I would call him a "near leapord"
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Blanket that has roaned. Guessing would say he would be dark brown / black (ApHC terminology), but could be a bay.

What would you call a half appy with splotches on the top of his spots and some white spots that come as he gets older, which look like ben d'or spots. Would he be noncharacteristic or would he have an actual pattern?

Perfect10 a photo would be helpful.

Small white spots could be a snow flake pattern starting to show or could be bird-catcher spots. Depends if the horse has caracteristics or not.

Looks blue roan to me.