The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Natural Plan Stomach Soother/Update p. 5 Anaplasmosis

The post I made yesterday about GnRH injections got no responses (well, 1 PM), so I thought I'd try a different way. Does anyone feed this?

http://www.stomachsoother.com/default.aspx

Experiences with it? The night before last, Sweets had a mild colic in conjunction with a wicked estrus cycle. The vet put her on GnRH injections. She got 2cc, and we'll repeat next time she cycles in. She also got bute and Gastrogard.

But as of last night, she was off feed, and depressed. I put her in her stall with her usual feed and hay - she sniffed a little bit, then went to stand in the corner, rested a foot and "went to sleep." Poop is still normal, still drinking. I went to the vet clinic last night to talk to him, and he said to give her the Stomach Soother, which should get her eating again.

I gave her 60cc via syringe, and she then ate 3 apples, 1/2 lb. of grain, and about 20 lbs. of hay overnight. Drank about 2 gallons of water. Pooping normally this morning, pee spot normal. Got 60cc again this a.m. She did eat her beet pulp/grain mix, but somewhat slowly then went to paw in the dirt instead of eat hay. She's grazing on pasture now.

She is absolutely NOT her normal self. The vet is sure it's due to the cystic ovaries. Says to give the shot time to work. It needs 24-48 hours. She's walking around with her tail held out away from her body a bit, she won't put her tail down. She's not lame, and she flexes and trots out fine. So I'm sure the tail out isn't due to an injury, but is due to the strong estrus cycle.

So, a few questions I guess - who has experience with cystic ovaries, and who has experience with Stomach Soother? Anybody? If so, can you tell me what you know about both?
    Last edited by Auventera Two; Oct. 15, 2009 at 06:26 PM.

Love, love, love the Stomach Soother.

Old horse suffers from bad NTWs so much that he ulcers and goes off his feed and drops a ton of weight. So this summer, as he was getting itchy - and dewormed for the critters, I started the Stomach Soother. And presto! He kept eating and eating and eating.

Now I use for my fox-hunter/eventer. One day he just started weaving and being stupid. After adding the SS - back to his ol' calm self.

Not sure if it is the most economical tummy ache med, but it has worked for me so I always make sure there is some in the fridge.

PS I order mine from Horse Health. Same amount per bottle as the SS website - but the shipping is way better!

I had a mare a couple years ago with cystic ovaries, but she never went completely off her feed, would act upset and eat *VERY* slowly, and take all night to eat her dinner, but she never left any of it. When were showing, the stomach soother was what kept her happy and from dropping weight when we travelled.
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.

Wow, ok thanks you guys for the information. I am so stressed out over this. I just hope the injection knocks out the heat cycle, and the SS does something for her belly. She was on Fenugreek powder (well, still is) and doing ok but I'd still ocassionally give her 1/4 tube of Gastrogard. Then THIS happened. I just feel like crying.

The 1/4 dose of GG/UG is for prevention. If she's already got ulcers, it really won't help heal them. If you are really concerned and she still seems off, you might bite the bullet and go wtih the full tube of GG/UG for a few days to see if that helps . . .

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhorse2000 View Post
    The 1/4 dose of GG/UG is for prevention. If she's already got ulcers, it really won't help heal them. If you are really concerned and she still seems off, you might bite the bullet and go wtih the full tube of GG/UG for a few days to see if that helps . . .
    Thanks for the advice, but been there/done that. She got 35 days of full tubes to treat for bleeding ulcers (diagnosed via gastroscope last summer). She's been on 1/4 tube doses for prevention, coupled with Pro-CMC calcium/magnesium antacid supplement. Also Fenugreek. As far as Gastrogard goes, I already "bit the bullet" to the tune of about $2,000.

What happened this week is a whole new situation for us.

Poor Sweets

Not being snarky at all, my dear, but have you considered having her spayed? Seems she might be one of those cases where it would be best for her. Or perhaps you were considering breeding her someday?

Dunno - Just trying to help!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Yeah, I did think about that CM. She's a beautiful mare, and I adore her personality but in all reality - she has traits I don't want to pass on. She's way too high strung and nervous, and way too many digestive problems.

I did talk to the vet about it, and he said it's a possibility but the shots would probably do the trick. If GnRH doesn't work, or work well enough, then he's going to do HCG.

Totally understand darlin'.... I love Tank, too, but have no desire to pass on her genetic issues either.

Well, prayers that either the GnRH or the HCG works!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Thank you CM, you always have such kind words We had a 2-day ride planned for this weekend, and last year she couldn't go because of ulcers, and now this year, this.

You can feed the SS directly in her grain. Figaro loves it that way. I only give it to him when we're overnighting at a show, though. And, obviously, he has no ovaries, cystic or not.

Did the vet actually examine your mare to come to this diagnosis?

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    Did the vet actually examine your mare to come to this diagnosis?
    Two vets are involved - one did see her, one did not see her. Both said cystic ovaries. One of them suggested the Stomach Soother, given the history of ulcers. He knows the horse very well, and thought it would work well for her. He had actually recommended it back when she was on Gastrogard for treatment, but I didn't want to use it at that time.

I used Stomach Soother for a horse with chronic loose stool that would sometimes to go diarrhea. It did help firm up his stool but after about 4-6 months of daily dosing it no help whatsoever. I also tried it for a horse that had frequent bouts of gas. I honestly don't think it helped the gassy one.

But that said, I would think for a short term use, it's great stuff.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

How did they rule out ulcer flare up, given the history?

egontoast -

1. This was nothing at all like the behavior she exhibited while experiencing ulcer pain.

2. The history of the mare's frequent and strong heat cycles.

3. The fact that as soon as this colicky episode ended, she began displaying a wicked strong estrus display. I'll spare you the details.

4. In conjunction with this strong estrus display, she was sore over the loin area, and VERY tight in her back. After a couple of grams of bute, she was moving normally again, and did not react to palpation anymore.

5. The fact that she just went out of heat 1 week ago, and now she's in a full standing heat, again.

What experience do you have with cystic ovaries? If you have something of benefit, please share it. Thanks.

My mare was colicky Sun night and I gave her Equi Spaz because vets were busy on other cases. It worked. She also just went into season and for the first time, I am wondering if her colics (seems like one a year) are estrus-related.

I have not noticed her being particularly bitchy or sore during estrus, but this was an eye opener for me.

Equi Spaz is a great product! Unfortunately, it is not available on our local feed store & vet supply shelves. I have to order it by mail. Too bad, it should be part of every barn's emergency medical kit.

Mares have true cystic ovaries so rarely, that when a case is diagnosed, the tissues get sent to multiple pathologists for review and written up in the literature, so I doubt there are many people who do have experience with same.
    And you don't have to take my word for it.
    Ask an equine theriogenolgist.

There are several other conditions which are, inaccurately, referred to as "cystic ovaries".
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I own a mare with ovary issues. It was thought to be either a granulosa cell tumor or a persistent follicle. Lucky for us it was a persistent follicle. Our mare was injected 10 days apart and the follicle finally left. This mare was checked rectally, ultrasounded and I had bloodwork for estrogen, testosterone, progesteron and inhibin pulled to help in the diagnosis.

I am curious how your vet diagnosed this mare for a cystic ovary (from my experience cystic ovaries are not very common in horses, more so in cows) versus a persistent follicle or a granulosa cell tumor. Granulosa cell tumors have many of the symptoms your mare is displaying, if it continues spaying is probably the best option.

Good luck, hurting horses are never fun.