The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Contract signing by someone who cannot read ...

Saw this posted in another forum and thought it was quite an interesting question!

I have a boarder that is coming in that cannot read.
    She said that she had a friend read her the boarding contract and explain it to her.
    The question is, how can I have someone sign that they read and understand the boarding contract if they didn't read it?
    I don't want to be caught in something where I get stuck because of this.
    Any ideas?
    Anyone else ever deal with something like this?
    And then I guess from a Boarding Owner's perspective, invoices, Barn Notices, etc would have to be specifically explained to them as well and then if a rule chance went into effect, could they simply say they didnt know about it, or understand it fully because they cannot read?

Has anyone dealt with something similar before?

I haven't dealt with something similar before, but in this situation, I would include a line on the end that states, "Jane Doe read this contract aloud to me, and by signing below, I state that I understand and agree to the contents of this Boarding Agreement."

Then, you have a clause below that for Jane Doe to sign and date that says "I, Jane Doe, state that on [Date], I read this Boarding Agreement aloud to Friend Boarder."

I've done this when we had to translate contracts from English into another language - but for some reason did not have the time to generate a written version in the other language. I think it could apply to this situation as well.

Video record you reading contract to boarder and her signing it. Use your camera phone.

I would have someone else read the contract to the boarder while you are present also. You want to have another witness to do the reading / signing...
    Last edited by Phaxxton; Oct. 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM.

All you need is a line for a witness to sign on, who has heard you read the contract to the boarder and heard the boarder agree that they understand what was read to them. The witness should not be a friend of the boarder, should not be an employee of yours or your friend or family. Have two witnesses if it makes you feel better. Please don't make this a BIG issue as you may just make the boarder uncomfortable.

chicamuxen

Find a notary public and do any contract transactions there, with the notary public signing that all is as stated.
    Here, some employees at the court house, the tax assessor's office, many school secretaries and many in private places are notary public officers.

Videotape at a notary's office.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry