The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oliver Townend - anyone gone to his clinics

Just wondering what his clinics are like - is there anything he is particiularly sticky about, what are your comments - it will be an indoor clinic I think

thanks - you can pm me if not comfortable about posting on here

thank you in advance for your feedback.
    Last edited by Bravestrom; Oct. 8, 2009 at 09:34 AM.

I am looking forward to hearing some responses here as he is doing a clinic in Toronto this November. Would love to go but my horse and I are just getting fit again after I was off for knee surgery so I am a little hesitant.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Maybe this episode from Horse and Country TV (you can view from your pc) called "Changing Reins" will give you a sense of what he is like as an instructor. It's in the latter portion of the of episode. Starts with him getting a lesson on Driving a four hand team of horse from Boyd Excell and then he teaches Boyd eventing. Lucky Boyd even gets to ride Flint Curtis for the flat work.

http://www.horseandcountry.tv/episod...eins-episode-1

Can't get any sound on the video...probably this computer.

Nobody out there has done a clinic with him?!?!?!

It is too late now anyways....I am signed up! I will report back in November. Wish me luck!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

My son is going to - nice thing about it is that it is just down the road from us - so 2 minutes to get there. What day are you going - my son is going on the sunday.

Sorry, I haven't done a clinic with him, but please do a post letting us know how it goes/what he is like! He is one of my favorite riders Good luck at the clinic!
    'Not all those who wander are lost.'

You might have better luck asking on the Horse and Hound forum. You could try to search and see if anyone has said anything already:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...eads.php/Cat/0
    When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

Quote Originally Posted by prodomus View Post
    My son is going to - nice thing about it is that it is just down the road from us - so 2 minutes to get there. What day are you going - my son is going on the sunday.
    Yes, I am doing Sunday as well. I guess we are likely to be inside which is too bad but I am still stoked!

Well prodomus? What did you think?

I had a blast and found Oli a great clinician. I learned a lot and had fun while at it. I found the basics he spoke about in each level/group to be the same and very similar to what I found with Lucinda Green. I had to laugh at his poking fun at how he thinks that we all tend to ride a bit more "huntery" over here...something about seeing sunshine between saddle and bottoms. That got some asses in the saddle!! Great clinic.

I really like how he spoke with everyone - thought he did a great job. He was positive and it was interesting to see what someone from his background and experience brought to the clinic. I liked how he encouraged the riders to let the horse work it out and keep the go at the same time.

I thought it was a really positive experience for them as a team. He started this horse a year ago and she literally had no jumping experience, would plow through the fences. She has come a long way in a short time - but they have worked really hard too. We were really pleased at how they are working together and the clinic was good for them. They did great.

My son, though was a bit disappointed at the group he was in. He was in the entry/pt group but as a team they are ready to start training level (have already done a training level combined and are working on that) and found it a little slow with the hour of flat before jumping - but probably because we live so close the early morning worked for the scheduling. He was really hoping to work on getting her more jumping experience, technical and height. I said to him that it is better she have a great experience then be overfaced and he agreed with that.

Once they started jumping he really enjoyed it though. He did like him alot.

Grrrr....just lost my first response.

I was lucky that I was in the 2nd PT/T group and he "liked" our flatwork so we got to jumping very quickly. Yes, that certainly was the theme (stay out of their way, let them figure it out and just keep the pace up "UP! UP! UP!"). He did push my horse and I a bit but because he explained what and why so well, it worked. Lots of positive feedback when you even tried to get it right and a huge "GOOD GIRL!" when you actually did.

Beautiful day, great learning experience, lots of fun, wonderful facility (THANKS IAN AND KELLY!!!) and a pretty good lunch too!

OT is now on my list of clinicians to not miss when given the opportunity.