The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hennig Dressage Saddle Broken Tree

Hi everyone,

I bought a lovely used Hennig Dressage Saddle a few years ago for a considerable amount of money. Now the tree appears to be broken. Does anyone know anyone who could replace the tree or have any suggestions short of throwing the saddle in the trash?

why not contact hennig? there was a post here recently of how incredible their customer service is, irrc even if you came by the product second hand.

Is your saddle the Sofa model? Unfortunately, this is a known problem with Sofas produced for a brief time - I think no more than 3 years, and I almost want to say only 1 or 2 years, but am not positive on that one. The problem is not a Hennig craftsmanship problem per se, but rather an issue with the Herm Sprenger titanium fixture that they had started using in the tree. But they discontinued making saddles with this particular fixture once they discovered the breakage problem.

Yes, I would contact Hennig and let them know.
    http://www.sattlerei-hennig.com/
    The folks at Hennig (like many Europeans) speak fluent English. I contacted them once with a question, and they were very nice.

Best of luck!

I had a Sofa and the gullet plate on the tree broke. It was a common occurrence for these models made for 3 years (approx 2003-2006). I had a very hard time getting the seller to respond. Once they did, the plate was easily replaced. I would call Hennig next time.

Thanks so much for these kind replies. It is an "original" Hennig, I believe -- older than 2003 - 2006. But this advice is very helpful. I will drop to the company immediately.

BTW is there anyway to tell whether the plate is broken or whether it is something more intractable?

if hennig has "authorized" fitters/repairs folks i would contact them as they can open the saddle up and take a look and let you know what the problem is.

however, i would not have this done by just anyone as it will probably invalidate any warranty if done by a non authorized person.

and, if you have never seen a saddle all "apart" it is pretty cool to see

good luck.

Default Call Charlie Tota at EuroAmerican saddlery

if not already done--he has a saddler who addresses these issues in
    kentucky. (Ithink)888-762-3353

Thanks everyone. I went to SLADS yesterday and had Marty with the Horse of Course take a look. The tree is fine, the plates are fine. It just squeaks and has "settled a bit." He's going to address the issue and send it back right away.

Thanks so much as your comments were so helpful. Thanks for your time!!!

Default purchasing a hennig manuf 2003-2006

Hi,

I'm looking at a hennig sofa manufactured during the time period when the titanium plate was used. How big of a risk is it to buy from this time period, and should I expect a reduced price based on this?

Quote Originally Posted by zhorse View Post
    Thanks everyone. I went to SLADS yesterday and had Marty with the Horse of Course take a look. The tree is fine, the plates are fine. It just squeaks and has "settled a bit." He's going to address the issue and send it back right away.

Thanks so much as your comments were so helpful. Thanks for your time!!!
    Thank YOU for posting this. My Hennig has also developed a squeak, but the saddle fitter looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong. It still had me worried, so it's a relief to read the above.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Quote Originally Posted by champagnetaste View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking at a hennig sofa manufactured during the time period when the titanium plate was used. How big of a risk is it to buy from this time period, and should I expect a reduced price based on this?
    i'm curious too. also, was the plate issue only with the sofa models or the classic as well? you know, good customer service would have issued a recall since they have the serial numbers on file. or, at the very least a number to call to find out if the saddle is one of those with the faulty part.

yep- I had an expensive CUSTOM sofa, the tree broke about 5 months into ownership- very difficult to get it "fixed"" not from Europe but from the US

yep- you would think that good customer service would be- what can I say????????? helpful? useful? imperative? easy to access?????

Nope- I paid over $6000 for a custom saddle, and it took their "US REP" a very long time to address the problem.

Did they fix the saddle- "yes" but I sold it after they fixed it as it STILL did not fit my horse. (for LESS THAN HALF OF WHAT I PAID)

Default not great so far

I emailed the company with the serial number and they wrote that they "can't give that information out," but then said they only knew what the saddle originally had. I've replied that this is exactly the info i need, maybe there was a language issue. But if their first response holds, they don't tell you anything about their saddles.

I emailed the company with the serial number and they wrote that they "can't give that information out," but then said they only knew what the saddle originally had. I've replied that this is exactly the info i need, maybe there was a language issue. But if their first response holds, they don't tell you anything about their saddles.
    OMG, this is EXACTLY what happened to me when I emailed them yesterday with a question on my saddle. No, there is not a language issue. For some reason, they don't want to give out info. I'm wondering if you and I have saddles built in the time frame where there was a problem with the trees, and they are hoping to not deal with the problem by ignoring us. I am completely unimpressed and will never buy another Hennig. Horrible, horrible customer service.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Default saddle manuf vs rep

Hi,

Although I'm a little disappointed in the Hennig response, at least they did respond quickly. Probably they just can't afford to replace all those trees (imagine the time/$$ required for probably a thousand or more saddles/year) without going out of business.

The U.S. rep that I worked with/am working with has been great, responsive, honest. Replacing the broken piece is about $350, so anyone considering purchasing a used saddle during the critical years will want to consider this.

I'm looking at a used saddle in this time period, and wondering if there is a repair in this saddle's future.

Hi,

Although I'm a little disappointed in the Hennig response, at least they did respond quickly. Probably they just can't afford to replace all those trees (imagine the time/$$ required for probably a thousand or more saddles/year) without going out of business.
    Well there is insurance business should buy for such instances (hubby works in bicycle / electric vehicle manufacturing). If it truely was a case of a vendor supplying faulty parts (titanium plate), it is something business have to consider and plan for.

They should stand behind their product, its not like we are talking about a cheap or disposable item.

Default true

Hi,

Yep. The real victims are the ones that bought NEW hennigs and had them break after five months to a year. Ugh.

The saddle I'm looking at is stuffed VERY lightly, and I'm wondering if the tree/gullet was replaced at some point. Otherwise I'm not sure why the panels would be so empty.