The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Red face Update & Update Part Duex! "Joshua quit chasing Holly!"

So the big fancy house next door too me has been vacant and for sale for a few years now. See it's a sub division house built on the edge of a 5 acre 150' deep ravine right next to my little slice of countrified heaven. In it's day it was a pretty nice house. But the owners never updated it since it was built 20 odd years ago and they did a lot of after market "upgrades" that are not up to spec.

From the huge multilevel deck you can look straight into my back yard and the pony pal corral. You can see my stack of round bales, my clothes line and my manure pile. It's a right pretty view of my place - shows every nook & cranny - even those left best unseen and unexplained.

In this market it is very hard to get anyone out to look at a rather ugly citified contemporary needing 100K in remodeling on five acres you can not write off next to a commercial horse farm.

But then apparently they got someone to come out to take a looksee today....Sadly they did not let me know so that I could avoid looking like a complete hillbilly when they were out.

Now my place is not fancy, but my lawn is neatly mowed, bushes trimmed, no piles of rusting anything, lovely gardens....and then there is the 4 DOGS that bark and the other critters - which brings me to today.....

See Joshua is a 5 year old juvenile delinquent mule I have in to train. Holly is a 14 year old stone deaf morbidly obese waddling yellow lab that follows me everywhere. Today I went to open the gate to the back woods so the young geldings(Josh included) could meander out to graze. There is our 7 acre wooded trail system and 5 acre meadow together for them to enjoy). My property is very long & narrow.

As I turned from the gate I see Joshua galloping full tilt at the hapless waddling Holly. Being a mule he is apt to trounce any canine in his pasture! I start running up the small slope from the back gate toward the barns screaming " Joshua quit chasing Holly! Joshua you ignorant jerk you quit chasing her! JOSHUA DO YOU HEAR ME! Joshua so help me God if you hurt Holly I will kick your a$$ from here to next week!" Holly RUNS as fast as she can and makes it under the fence away from Josh just in time! WHEW! I think Good Girl! I then look up to see the STUNNED faces of the people on the back deck of the big empty house next door starring down at me. I realize they can see me, but not the critters I was screaming at...

So I am guessing they told the Realtor they do not want the house next to the hillbilly neighbor who screams and runs after her "kids". The same neighbor that decided today would be a GREAT day to hang out freshly laundered horse clothing across her back yard and from the kids swing set.

I called the Realtor - a friend - and dead pan she said "You know somebody's going to get a great deal on that house". And I am thinking , "yup they will probably have to give it away" It has been reduced from $389K to $290K over the last year or so....could it be my fault? We offered $170K 4 months ago(it was all we were willing to go with all the work it needs)for it but they said no......

Here is guessing I will not be etting a new neighbor any time soon
    Last edited by Woodland; Dec. 4, 2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: UPDATE! 2nd Update!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Good job!

* <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
    Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
    NO! What was the question?

ROFLMAO - that was too wonderful.

You keep that up, and you might get it for $170K after all.
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

OMG I can just see that! Absolutely hysterical.

In a similar vein a friend of mine who owns some land was a mite perturbed when a subdivision was put in next to his property. Since he was retired with plenty of time on his hands, he made sure that he was out shooting skeet off his back porch whenever a realtor was showing one of those new houses. They didn't sell very well, and if they did, it was to folks who were cool with the sound of gunfire.

Priceless! For the record, it sounds like a property that I would love because I would understand the need for these actions sometimes!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

LOL, I'd probably sit on the deck with a beverage and enjoy the show!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

OMG, that was priceless!! I wouldn't mind being your neighbor at all.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

LOL! I say act as crazy-horse as you want; at least it will help you get tolerant neighbours. (;

GOOD JOB !!! LOL
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Just keep doing that till the neighbors drop the price to 170$..........or lower. I'm thinking you need to maybe wear a formal gown or something next time, and carry a pitchfork or gun.
    If you have friends who are available to help you, enlist their help to add more participants to the fun.

A subdivision was built next to my farm several years ago. I wish I had done a better job scaring away potential non-country neighbors. The neighbor whose property is next to my ring built a swing-set, trampoline and club house as close to the property line as possible for his very young granddaughters. Although annoying when I am riding youngsters, it isn't the end of the world and there is a line of trees that seperates some of it, but then of course the youngins like to jump out of the trees while I am riding. He actually has come over and yelled at me for daring to speak (which I did very calmly and politely) to his grandchildren about jumping out of the woods at the ponies.

I should have taken some pointers from you on how to keep them from moving in in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by gieriscm View Post
    OMG I can just see that! Absolutely hysterical.

In a similar vein a friend of mine who owns some land was a mite perturbed when a subdivision was put in next to his property. Since he was retired with plenty of time on his hands, he made sure that he was out shooting skeet off his back porch whenever a realtor was showing one of those new houses. They didn't sell very well, and if they did, it was to folks who were cool with the sound of gunfire.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Just keep doing that till the neighbors drop the price to 170$..........or lower. I'm thinking you need to maybe wear a formal gown or something next time, and carry a pitchfork or gun.
    If you have friends who are available to help you, enlist their help to add more participants to the fun.
    I will keep that in mind
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Woodland, you owe me a new monitor....coffee is not good for it.

I have tears streaming down my face and my MIL is looking at me like I am an idiot...

yelling at the "children" Priceless...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Ponies View Post
    A subdivision was built next to my farm several years ago. I wish I had done a better job scaring away potential non-country neighbors. The neighbor whose property is next to my ring built a swing-set, trampoline and club house as close to the property line as possible for his very young granddaughters. Although annoying when I am riding youngsters, it isn't the end of the world and there is a line of trees that seperates some of it, but then of course the youngins like to jump out of the trees while I am riding. He actually has come over and yelled at me for daring to speak (which I did very calmly and politely) to his grandchildren about jumping out of the woods at the ponies.

I should have taken some pointers from you on how to keep them from moving in in the first place
    You should:

1. Make sure the trees and strip along the outside of your ring are kept well fertilized with fresh manure.

2.Invite over or rent some stalls to a stallion owning breeder friend and have them live cover the mares during prime child playing time.

3 Get a donkey that brays a lot and stash it in the ring when it is not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    You should:

1. Make sure the trees and strip along the outside of your ring are kept well fertilized with fresh pig manure.

2.Invite over or rent some stalls to a stallion owning breeder friend and have them live cover the mares during prime child playing time.

4. Guinea hens. Trust me on this.

Default Peacocks......

They will get 1/2 mile or farther apart, and proceed to gossip from their tree perch at a SCREAM........
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
    http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    You should:

1. Make sure the trees and strip along the outside of your ring are kept well fertilized with fresh manure.

OMG...Woodland I am dying...so funny!!! We love all of our neighbors except for one, and we do our best to make sure we keep them just "entertained" enough that we don't ever have to worry about them being friendly

I whole heartedly agree with number one and number three above. But I actually had someone stop one day and ask where they could get some of the "dark mahogany" mulch we were using. I told them it was organic and custom made on our farm.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    You keep that up, and you might get it for $170K after all.

“Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Your story is a good one but you might be surprised that the place sells sooner than you think.

My neighbor sold her little horse farm and the new owner is a DQ. But I also hang out my laundry to dry, all except underwear. And I also scream and cuss at my horses or dog depending on who is doing what. For that matter, when my OTTB goes after the old QH with his teeth bared (he's never yet taken a chunk) the OTTB gets called by his nickname of MF'er and it's not abbreviated.

Louise works with my new neighbor's oldest son and she recently told me he as the greatest 'respect' for me. He says I really know how to cuss! I learned that at a private girls school. Amazing what those girls would come up with when the occasion arose. But cussing beats hitting and beating on them!

But in spite of all the above, my new neighbor and I get on quite well.
    1. She asked about a farrier and I recommended mine. She uses him and likes him.

2. She asked about a trainer and I recommended mine. She's sending her 3 yr old to her and planning on taking her 4 yr old down for some help.

3. She asked about trucking her horses over to my indoor for the winter and I recommended a friend close by with a larger indoor who does take riders. I don't anymore as I don't ride and I don't want to have to carry additional equine commercial liability. She's planning on trucking to my friends.

And who ever said you can't teach a DQ new tricks.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!