The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Difference in these Mattes pads?

Am I missing something here?

What is the difference between this quilted Mattes pad:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=7332

...and this fleece Mattes pad?
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=7326

Besides $100 in cost. Do they both allow for the same amount of adjustment or is one actually better than the other one?
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipHiLad4me View Post
    Am I missing something here?

What is the difference between this quilted Mattes pad:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=7332

...and this fleece Mattes pad?
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=7326

Besides $100 in cost. Do they both allow for the same amount of adjustment or is one actually better than the other one?
    One has sheepskin, the other doesn't. If you only need it to shim up a saddle, then you get to save some money. Some people like the look of sheepskin. Sheepskin half pads are very trendy right now....

Thanks NorCal! I've been looking at those things for the last 30 minutes trying to decide if there was some other difference I just wasn't seeing. I only need to shim up a saddle so I'm glad to hear that I can save some money for a change I just didn't want to order the wrong pad by accident.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

sheepskin isn't just for looks

sheepskin is a lovely material to put against your horse, its warm in the winter and cool in the summer, its naturally anti slip, antimicrobial, and wicking. Its one of the nicest things for a sensitive back.

but, the other advantage to not having sheepskin on your pad is that the pad is lower profile. Sheepskin does have some thickness too it, especially the fine skins from mattes, so if one is looking for a shimming pad but wants to minimally affect the overall fit of the saddle (ie making it narrower with a thick pad) then no sheepskin is likely a wiser choice.

[QUOTE=buck22;4424809]sheepskin isn't just for looks

sheepskin is a lovely material to put against your horse, its warm in the winter and cool in the summer, its naturally anti slip, antimicrobial, and wicking. Its one of the nicest things for a sensitive back.
    QUOTE]

Yes, true! But, the dressage trend is to put the half pad over the regular pad though, so this doesn't apply to most dressage riders.

But I noticed these links are for AP pads, so that probably doesn't matter anyway :-)

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post

"... so if one is looking for a shimming pad but wants to minimally affect the overall fit of the saddle (ie making it narrower with a thick pad) then no sheepskin is likely a wiser choice.
    Ok now I'm not sure which way to go. Horse has lost muscle due to a 4 mo vacation - so he has hollows behind both sides of his withers and the saddle has become a little too wide for him. Am I still on the right track to go with the quilted pad or is the fleece a better choice? I do need to pad up the width a little but not much...

Edited to add: I would be riding with the half pad over a regular quilted pad if that makes any difference...

I bought the quilted Mattes pad a month ago. I bought it because I needed to shim up my saddle behind the wither on the right side where my horse is a bit hollowed out. I didn't want the fleece because the fit of my saddle is good otherwise and I was afraid that all that lovely sheepskin would alter the overall fit. I just needed to fill in that one spot. Once I can get him filled out, I don't plan to use it.

It also is $100 less

You bought it a month ago...you like it??
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I am kind of on the fence about it. The quality is great, its just that I am having trouble getting the shimming right. I *almost* feel as though I was better off with my two hand towels that I was using I was hoping to get something that was more proper in appearance, that I didn't have to feel like it was slapped together, like the towels.

I kind of think that the two pockets on either side isn't enough to replicate my hand towel solution. Maybe if it had been three pockets on either side, I could get it just the way I want it

Quote Originally Posted by ex-racer owner View Post
    I am kind of on the fence about it. The quality is great, its just that I am having trouble getting the shimming right. I *almost* feel as though I was better off with my two hand towels that I was using
    LOL Now I don't feel so bad about my recent attempts with a no-bow bandage My pad is supposed to be here today so hopefully if it doesn't rain on us tonight I'll get to go to the barn to experiment with it some. I'm a little worried I still won't be able to get the fit right but it's got to be an improvement from how things are now. I'm glad to hear you were happy with the quality of the quilt pad.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-racer owner View Post
    I am kind of on the fence about it. The quality is great, its just that I am having trouble getting the shimming right. I *almost* feel as though I was better off with my two hand towels that I was using I was hoping to get something that was more proper in appearance, that I didn't have to feel like it was slapped together, like the towels.

I kind of think that the two pockets on either side isn't enough to replicate my hand towel solution. Maybe if it had been three pockets on either side, I could get it just the way I want it
    I had the Mattes Correction Pad many moons ago. The felt shims tend to compress and don't really do much--I had to use 3 or 4 to get any kind of useful effect. They'd be useful if you needed an extremely subtle fit change, but I think the reason the sheepskin Mattes Correction Pad is so popular is that most people are trying to size up or down by one tree size (often due, as in the OP's case, to a seasonal change in the horse's fitness). And for that kind of bulk, you really need a towel/sheepskin/foam padding/something thick.

I had the best luck with the Thinline Saddle Fitter pad. The Thinline shims don't compress and the sheepskin is thick enough to make some difference on its own. It was also cheaper than the Mattes sheepskin pad.

For the even cheaper soul who has no shame, buy a high-quality but cheap sheepskin half pad (like the Engel, love that thing at $65) and get a separate set of Thinline or Mattes shims to duct tape to the top of the pad. Or for the truly shameless, go to the craft store and buy some thick fabric. Cut your own shims.

My saddle fitter sold me a Mattes pad but had me by different shims. The Mattes shims do seem worthless -- I can't imagine they make much of a difference unless you put in 10-plus. The shims my saddle fitter sold me are thicker and don't seem to compress as much. A foam/styrofoam mix is the best way to describe it. Some high-tech material, or so I'm told. LOL. They are better than the Mattes shims, though.

BTW, I have the sheepskin, but only because I think it's great for the horse's back -- I don't up a pad under it.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

I have the sheepskin correction pad and love it. (I use it early season and as my horse builds more muscle throughout the summer I usually stop using it.) After a full year off this year I'm sure I'll need it when I get back on!

I was going to say that the Mattes shims rock as they can give me the tiny changes I need! I guess it depends how big of a change you need. I love the little felt pads - two of them gave me the tiny tweak in fit I needed (raising the cantle) without totally throwing off the fit of the saddle.

Just thought I'd update to say that I went with the quilted pad and so far so good. It's taken me a few tries to get the shims like I want but it definitely has made a big improvement in the fit of my saddle. Thanks for everyone's input.