The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TIPS ON KEEPING HELMET CLEAN!!!

I apologize ahead of time if there has been threads like this, I'm a newbie!!

I have a black/black CO GR8 and I love it to death....It's may baby!! Nobody is allowed to touch it, wear it, etc. because I payed for it with my own money and if something happened, I probably wouldn't be able to get another one anytime soon. But I am forced to use it at home for lessons, not just shows and as you can imagine, it gets dirty QUICK!!! I use the CO interior cleaner but I don't know how to clean the outside w/o ruining it. So, I was wondering if any of you have some neat tricks/tips you use to clean your helmet. Thanks!!!!!

I don't really have a cleaning tip, but if you're really concerned about preserving the helmet for shows, then I'd use a helmet cover on non-show days. That, or invest in a less expensive helmet for everyday use.

Wipe it down with a damp towel-- its a synthetic material and will not be damaged by water.

simple wipe down with a slightly damp towel will do. the material is synthetic stuff, it's not velvet or suede. small amounts of water should not damage it.

i hang my helmet on my saddle hook and it actually keeps it a lot cleaner than chucking it in my tack trunk, which is what i used to do.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

TIPS ON KEEPING HELMET CLEAN!!!
    Avoid landing on your head.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Quote Originally Posted by Everythingbutwings View Post
    Avoid landing on your head.
    hahaha... good one

I wipe mine with a damp cloth when it seems dusty and will happily ride in the rain (if I was riding before the rain started). Did that with both my old velvet hunt cap and my GPA, no problems with either.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

ditto, just wipe down with a damp towel/paper towel and it will be fine. i wipe down my GPA the same way after almost every ride before i put it away, especially if it was in the dusty indoor. no intense scrubbing or products necessary! doing this keeps it surprisingly pristine.

When I take my helmet off, I throw an old bounce sheet in, it keeps it from smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Wisdom View Post
    Wipe it down with a damp towel-- its a synthetic material and will not be damaged by water.
    that's what i do with mine. i wear it on trails, in lessons, and in the show ring. it lasted the past year and a half like a champ. i'm replacing it now, just replaced it yesterday actually lol - but i didn't take half the care of it that it sounds like you'll be taking of yours. you'll be fine. keep it in a dustbag when you're not using it, wipe it with a damp clean rag before shows, and it will be totally fine.

and congrats on buying such a nice helmet with your own money! you are right to be proud of it and want to take care of it

Thank you so much everyone!!

Awww thanks KristieBee!!!!!

Not to long ago, I heard this girl say that she put her CO in the dishwasher and it came out great!! But I would never ever risk something like that. Do any of you have funky tips like that?

I heard you can completely submerge GR8's in water to clean them. Is there any truth to that?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by kitsunegari View Post
    I heard you can completely submerge GR8's in water to clean them. Is there any truth to that?
    People say you can do that, and they say that you can clean them in the dishwasher, but "they" have never convinced me that that's not doing harm to the helmet.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

What kind of soap would one suggest I use if I were to completely submerge it in water to clean? I have a new one that I've never worn so if I wreck this one it's no biggie.

We used to use corn meal to clean our dark western hats back in the day. Rub a little on, then brush it off. Worked great.

I do second whomever recommended an inexpensive schooling helmet for every day if you want to keep your CO looking perfect. The COs fit me great, but so do the Troxels and they're much cooler in the summer.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.