The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Triple Crown 30% Supplement for Ration Balancer

I'm going to switch my guys (draftie and pony) from a handful of low starch grain w/a multivitamin to a ration balancer instead, and am considering the Triple Crown 30% Supplement. They get free choice timothy/grassy hay, first cut always, and a probiotic, and the pony gets some additional vitamin E.

Just throwing this out there to see if anybody has any dislikes or comments about this ration balancer? Thanks in advance!

I used to LOVE TC-until the revamped it several years back.

I have started using ADM feeds on my horses and am pleased so far. They have amazing customer service and it really is a forage first program.

They don't push the feeds, only suggest products to fill in for forage.

The TC 30% pellets are VERY HARD and not very palatable. These were major stumbling blocks for my horse, though they may not be issues with yours.

I like TC products quite a lot and have had good results with their other stuff but the TC 30% would not be my first choice... Progressive's ration balancers, if available in your area, are a good bet.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I tried 1 bag of TC30 last year and my pellets were not had at all

I switched my 2yo to TC30 about 6 weeks ago and the change in her has been night and day. She looks absolutely fantastic and I've not seen her have a bit of trouble eating it. The pellets do not seem any harder than most other pellets in the bags I've had. I've also had nothing but very positive experiences with TC's customer service and their willingness/ability to answer any questions I had.

I put my yearling on TC 30% 3 months ago...the difference for her was night and day. She came to me at 10 months in crappy condition...super thin and she didn't shed out her winter coat (going into JULY). The TC has definitely helped. they have a lower protein one also i think it's TC 12% so if your horse isn't growing that may be a wiser option for you. Good luck..and I LOVE triple crown!

If you read the back of Triple Crown Growth, it suggests using the 30% Suppliment for the extra minereal requirements, etc......which I do as directed on the bag. My weanlings and yearlings are happily eating it and look great! Don't know a bout using it as "grass balancer" as that's not what I believe it's advertised and made to do???
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

yes it is a balancer-it provides minerals and amino acids to balance those normally deficient in grass and grass hay diets.

Read the label of the bag - it can be used for balancing a mostly forage diet, or along with another concentrate. I use it to supplement a forage only diet. The recommended amounts are listed on the label. My horses have held their weight and had nice toplines and feet on it.

My 21YO scarfs it up. He has never complained that the pellets are too hard. He looks great, but then he always has.

Oh, it has a probiotic in it. You won't need to supplement that.

You're supposed to feed 1-2 lbs per day (per the label). If you're only feeding a handful, you may still want to give them a supplement.

When my farrier kept commenting that my horses feet were getting better and better I dropped the Farrier's Formula and continued on with the TC vit. min. formula. The feet are still doing fine and I'm saving a lot of money.

The pellets are harder than other feeds I've used, but I just let them soak in water a bit longer. My finicky mare (who once refused to eat anything in a bucket for an entire month because I put bute in her feed one day) licks up every morsel. It's nice to not have to feed an extra supplement, the pellets have everything she needs, so lunch is simplified.

Loving it. In just a matter of months my horse seems to have filled out more and like Foxtrot, I'm saving money on hoof supplements. So far his feet seem to do great on the TC30%. I feed about 1lb a day, but also feed TC low starch.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash44 View Post
    Read the label of the bag - it can be used for balancing a mostly forage diet, or along with another concentrate. I use it to supplement a forage only diet. The recommended amounts are listed on the label. My horses have held their weight and had nice toplines and feet on it.
    This was how I was intending to use it for my two, they are super easy keepers and I like them to have as much hay as they like, especially in the winter months here.

Thanks for sharing all your experiences, I think I'm going to try it and will definitely watch for it being too hard, although mine are both on a handful of what I would describe as pretty hard pellets currently. Thanks for the caution though and I will keep it in mind!

Default I'm going to feed the amounts as recommended on the label

Quote Originally Posted by Nin View Post
    My 21YO scarfs it up. He has never complained that the pellets are too hard. He looks great, but then he always has.

Oh, it has a probiotic in it. You won't need to supplement that.

You're supposed to feed 1-2 lbs per day (per the label). If you're only feeding a handful, you may still want to give them a supplement.
    Excellent that it has a probiotic, one less thing! I plan on feeding the recommended amounts - the grain they are currently getting a big handful of to mix with their Platinum supplement is a high calorie grain so I don't give them more than what measures out on the scale to be a half pound morning and night.

I'm sure they will do fine on 1-2 lbs per day of the TC 30%. I'm definitely planning on feeding the amount they need to insure they are getting the vitamins/minerals appropriate for their weight(s), because when I feed this I can cut out the Platinum (a multivitamin).