The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default tightening the girth. . .

I have quite a bit of arthritis in my wrist and have a hard time tightening the girth. I mostly ride in my dressage saddle with a short girth which is very hard to tighten mounted. I do use leverage from the mounting block to tighten before I get on. I have roller buckles which help.

any other suggestions???
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

http://www.dressage-ext.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=1563

These girth tightening devices are very easy to use. Some people don't like them because it has enough leverage that you can over-tighten the girth without too much trouble. But they can be quite helpful for arthritic hands.

thank you. I am not worried about over tightening. These used to be called belly busters. . .
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Do you also have elastic on the girth? I have it on both sides and it seems to make a difference. I've also found that leather girths are so much easier for me to tighten than fabric girths(maybe it's just me)

Leather girths are so much easier. The rubber covered "nubby" ones...can't think of what they are called right now. They are easier too.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I use this girth tightener http://www.dressage-ext.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=1295 -- It's smaller than the others I've seen, and I can bring it along on trail rides --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

How about the Lettia Click girth? It's elastic on both sides and the buckle nubby thing has a spring type mechanism to help pop it into the hole. I'm getting one shortly.

dan 1971 Guest

Default cinch-kwik.com

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    I have quite a bit of arthritis in my wrist and have a hard time tightening the girth. I mostly ride in my dressage saddle with a short girth which is very hard to tighten mounted. I do use leverage from the mounting block to tighten before I get on. I have roller buckles which help.

any other suggestions???
    [edit]

Thanks Dan
    Last edited by admin; Mar. 16, 2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: to remove advertising

dan 1971 Guest

Default cinch-kwik.com

[edit]
    Thanks Dan
    Last edited by admin; Mar. 16, 2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: to remove advertising