The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The One And Only George Washington Getting Ready For The Ring

I'm listening to it at the moment and will be watching her sell - didn't know if anyone else is doing the same.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Where is she selling? Would like to see a pic of her. I was there the day he died Took some breathtaking pics of him in the paddock, he was so lovely, RIP "Gorgeous George".

Is she a flashy bay like pop?

Link? We want a link to watch!
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Sorry, links take me ages! She sold at Tattersalls in England a few mins ago for 320,000gns. Yes, she is flashy like her Dad. She is a gorgeous individual. Went to Ross Doyle but don't know who actually bought her. Sure it will be in the papers tomorrow.

Terri

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Not sure if it was cited before but this is the 2nd time she's been sold ...

UK Press Association - October 7, 2009

Washington filly to train with Hannon
    (UKPA) – 14 minutes ago

The only horse ever sired by the late George Washington will go into training with Richard Hannon after she was purchased at the Tattersalls October Yearling Sale at Newmarket on Wednesday evening.

George Washington's only offspring, a filly carrying her father's trademark white markings across her nose, was bought by bloodstock agent Ross Doyle for 320,000 guineas.

Doyle said: "She's a lovely filly, gorgeous and lovely looking. I'm sure the vendor doesn't want to hear this, but I thought she'd make a little bit more. She's the sort of filly we like - she's got a lot of substance to her - and she'll go into training with Richard Hannon."

He added: "George Washington was a freak and I hope she can be a freak like him."

George Washington was crowned champion two-year-old in 2005 and was a winner of four Group One races, including the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket and the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot.

Having been unsuccessful at Coolmore Stud, the son of Danehill made a dramatic return to the track, but died in action during the 2007 Breeders' Cup Classic.

The filly, out of the mare Flawlessly, was bought by horse trader Gerry Burke, of Glidawn Stud, for 280,000 euros last year at Goffs November Sale.

She was born at the Irish National Stud on February 4, 2008 and was the most expensive foal sold in Ireland during the same year. In total, George Washington covered 56 mares before he was withdrawn from stud duty in March 2007, having proved sub-fertile.

Will she race? It's still to be determined ...

Racingbase 10-7-2009

It remains to be seen whether his daughter will ever see a racecourse, such is her value as a breeding prospect.

Before the sales on Wednesday, Tattersalls chairman Edmond Mahony explained: “She is an outstanding physical specimen and of course she is unique.

“It is wonderfully appropriate that she will be sold at Book 1 of the Tattersalls October yearling sale as her father. George Washington, was the 1,150,000 guineas sale topper at the first October Book 1 in 2004.”

She was the highest-priced weanling sold in Ireland in 2008.

Well it says she will be trained by Richard Hannon so I guess if everything goes alright they intend to race her. I hope she does race and ends up a real good one.

Terri

She has her Daddy's head, neck and expression. Lovely looking filly.

Will set foot on a racecourse for the first time on Friday....
    http://www.racingpost.com/horses2/ca...ate=2010-07-09

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Normally I'm all for racing a horse if it's bred for racing unless there is something profoundly wrong with it, but with this one...unless she blows away the competition I'd stick her in a field after one start and wait until she's old enough breed. It's not like there is any way to make more.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    WOW! what time is it there? Has the race gone off yet? I wonder if HRTV had it on, because I recorded all morning (since Kinsale King was running at Newmarket), but haven't watched it yet.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Here is a direct link to the replay... http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video...382106,00.html

That was beautiful, runs just like Dad with her high head carriage and ears pricked.

Really nicely done! Richard Hannon is the man with 2yo's on this side of the pond so knew she would be ready as long as she had the talent. I didn't get to see it live as I don't have RUK anymore so thanks for the replay!

Terri

I'll be darned. Gives one a bit of the tingles, doesn't it?
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I thought she was sure to be a plow mule after they named her that. Really cool to see her live up to it so quickly.

That was impressive!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Watching her makes me think she is GW reincarnated! WOW, I hope we see a lot of her in the future...
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

If there was a prize for pretty heads, she's win in a canter.... http://images.racingpost.com/2010/Jul/18656.jpg

I forgot to add that since I moved into my new place here 3 months ago I met a woman who boards here. Turns out she is friends with the pinhooker who bought Destiny as a foal. So she has lots of pics with her and Destiny as a yearling from last summer.

She does have a gorgeous head!

Terri