The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 Arrested for SELLING horse meat in FL ....

..... but NOT connected to the horse slaughters???? I just saw this on the news; such little information so far.

http://www.justnews.com/news/21227670/detail.html

Disgusting. I can't say what else I think here. Ugh Disgusting
    Last edited by kdriding; Oct. 7, 2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: correct my poor typing skills today
    Drop the drama and ride!

Hey, people eat horses all the time in Europe. I just assumed it was related to the slaughters but I guess not.

Charged only with "doing business without a license". What the fruitbat?!?! Might as well get them on mopery with intent to creep while they're at it.

Default NEANDERTALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

These people need to be RUN out of the country on a RAIL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairdo View Post
    People eat horsemeat all the time in Europe. I believe there's a market for it in Quebec and Japan as well.

Since they are only being charged (right now) with operating without a license, one can assume that so far, there is no indication they obtained the meat illegally--it's not against the law to shoot and butcher your own livestock. However, if you try to sell it, you're subject to the USDA rules for handling meat. We'll see if anything develops on where they acquiredit.

Sorry even here in virginia I have been approached by members of the international community that were looking to purchase horses for home butcher. It's not just the european community that consumes horse meat there was a dealer out of Florida that would buy horses along the east coast to sell to individual families for their consumption. They were looking for horses in the 500-700lb range because when packaged would fit in a family freezer. There isn't a law against processing meat for your personal use in your back yard. You just can't sell it to some one else unless it is inspected. There are different cultures out there, some don't eat pork and others don't eat beef.

Dad is from the Rockingham/Augusta County, VA area. There are still plenty of people who buy live hogs to butcher in the backyard, or on shares with a friend who has a 'setup' for butchering. Hogs and maybe small cattle, though. But if someone really wanted horsemeat without the chemicals I could see an arrangement like this happening....

I understand it....but it is still "icky" in my book - just icky......

Yes, i know a lady with a dog sled kennel that buys a few to do in for her dogs. She gets them at the local auction house. I know her spouse shoots them and processes them - but i am just mortified by it none the less. I would feel the same way for any one processing an animal that way - even hunters. And I KNOW it is more humane than a packing plant - it's just the city girl in me....I stay out of it respecting her right and knowing what they do is not illegal. And knowing they do a lot for our community etc etc etc - but ICKY!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

It's just meat. Same as the stuff wrapped up pretty in plastic at the supermarket. Only it's a lot fresher and cheaper to do it yourself (unless you're buying an out of state hunting license. Those are expensive.)

I really think every schoolchild ought to have to learn how to process an animal and take care of a food crop. Food doesn't come from the supermarket and not all animals are cuddly little pets. There's nothing gross about cutting up an animal. Well, the cat in biology, but that was more that after a week the preservative chemicals really start to get to you.

If a horse that was dear to me ever ended up at an auction house...I think I'd rather see him purchased privately and killed humanely for meat than sent to one of the big slaughter houses. Chances are it would be a faster, kinder death.

PS--Love you screen name, OP. That's my horse's registered Jockey Club name!

Yes people eat horse meat but since people's private property were being savaging killed (not humanely) and their meat stolen just recently in Florida this makes a different type of crime to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    Yes people eat horse meat but since people's private property were being savaging killed (not humanely) and their meat stolen just recently in Florida this makes a different type of crime to me.
    I couldn't have said it any better.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Read the article - just under the heading, in bold print "POLICE: CASE NOT RELATED TO HORSE KILLINGS"

It's just meat, that's it, nothing to do with those horrific slaughters.

Exactly. And that's why this story is so weird. Especially since the horse was "overeating and then found dead the next day" (paraphrased)
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

We have cattle stolen locally all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Exactly. And that's why this story is so weird. Especially since the horse was "overeating and then found dead the next day" (paraphrased)

Horse over-ate, coliced and died - not completely out of the question. They decided not to waste the meat - sounds reasonable (although personally I would want to know what the horse died from before touting it's flesh), they are avid recycling fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Hairdo View Post
    Slight over-reaction or what? Why would you "RUN" them out of the country...... in fact, where would you run them to? There are lots of people that commit far worse crimes than slaughtering a horse that they owned and selling the meat.

I'd like to see the evidence proving it was their horse. . . just sayin'
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    I'd like to see the evidence proving it was their horse. . . just sayin'
    Eventer55 - you're not the only one!

OK, I think for some of our sakes, we are awfully close to the slaughter issue and obviously some aren't.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!