The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bit-less Bridle Suggestions Recovering From Broken Jaw

My horse broke his jaw 2 weeks ago (when trying to bite at horse next to him.) He has his lower jaw wired. The vet said he could return to light work using a hackamore or bit-less bridle (he is rehabbing from a suspensory injury and was cleared the morning of to start canter work ) The hackamores we have will not work as they interfere with the injury (cavesson ties too low.) Any suggestions on a bit-less bridle? He doesn't pull or get strong. He is my hunter/eq horse. Thanks in advance!

Have you looked at a rope bitless? That may work if you just want to keep him in work and ride around.
    Work until your idols become your rivals.

Use a sidepull bridle. Most of the bitless bridles I have seen wrap around the lower jaw and can put a lot of pressure on the jaw.

If it was my horse would wait to ride until the jaw is healed. Pain can make a horse do some 'unexpected' things.

4 members found this post helpful.

Could you use a plain halter?

Also, whatever you use on his head, that could be a good time to train to a strap/string around his neck only, not use whatever you have on his head, just the strap/string.

Seems that the riding can be to keep him moving anyway, most anything you do will work for that.
    You can go back to training for your discipline once he heals.

I agree, if he's okay with it I'd just use a plain halter and hook your reins to the side rings. The bitless bridles put pressure on the nose/jaw and poll, same with any kind of mechanical hackamore. I have a jumping hackamore that is a padded nose band with rings on either side, pretty much like a halter.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."

Quote Originally Posted by csaper58 View Post

If it was my horse would wait to ride until the jaw is healed. Pain can make a horse do some 'unexpected' things.
    I agree, wait until it's completely healed. Do in-hand work, teaching him to work off a neck rope only. I wouldn't put anything on the head at this point.

Bones in the body heal at different rates. While one bone may take 3-4 months
    to be at 75-80% healed, another bone may take 9-12 months before all re-modeling of the bone is complete. If any joints are involved it could be longer.
    You may be able to google studies in horse fractures and get more info.

I believe it's better to be conservative and give it plenty of time rather than inhibit healing due to excessive movement/pressure.
    "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

1 members found this post helpful.

No suggestions, but I wanted to share this lovely story about an event trainer in VA who trained her OTTB using a neck rope after he broke his jaw in an awful trailering accident: http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ing-bridleless

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby2563 View Post
    No suggestions, but I wanted to share this lovely story about an event trainer in VA who trained her OTTB using a neck rope after he broke his jaw in an awful trailering accident: http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ing-bridleless
    That was a lovely story, thanks for the link.

For those serious about riding without a bridle, a pigging string is stiff enough to be just right for that without flopping around as the horse moves, while being soft enough to be able to use it loosely.
    When riding with something around the horse's neck, always keep it loose, use it to "bump" as lightly as you may, never try to pull the horse here or there with it, best to use it only to give light signals, horses learn very well to respond to those.

I ride in a rolled nose rope halter, always. If your horses is healed enough to ride, that should work.