The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default North NJ Horse Owners - selenium content in hay?

So, I really just need to get my horse's blood tested for selenium as I'm getting conflicting information online about selenium levels in my area. I asked my vet about testing the hay at my barn (I board), but he was hesitant because the barn didn't have a large stock of hay when he was there and the barn doesn't get the same hay consistently. It might just be different cuttings, but I'm not positive. I haven't had a chance to talk to our hay guy to inquire about it.

I used this map that was posted on COTH a while back that lets you click on a map of the US and shows mineral contents by county. This map is telling me that the average selenium content in my county is about 0.5 ppm.

I use a feed management website called FeedXL as a guide to check in on my horse's diet. I know it's not an exact science, but it's a nice to have. Within FeedXL, they show 0.6 ppm and above as being a high selenium content.

I just want to ensure that my horse is getting the right amount of selenium. It's not something I am comfortable with blindly supplementing for, by any means. Can selenium vary greatly from county to county in a similar area? Anyone from north NJ know the selenium content of their hay?

Any input is welcome!
    The spirited horse, which will try to win the race of its own accord, will run even faster if encouraged.
    - Ovid

I've always heard that Jersey soil is deficient in selenium, which is why my horses have selenium mineral blocks.
    co-author of
    Duel for the Crown: Affirmed, Alydar, and Racing's Greatest Rivalry
    www.duelforthecrown.com

Thanks for the response!
    The spirited horse, which will try to win the race of its own accord, will run even faster if encouraged.
    - Ovid

I think that map is selenium in soil and feed xl is selenium in the hay.