The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Swollen Leg after Cut

So Miss Mare came in from the field last Tuesday morning with a small scrap on her leg (outside of leg just behind cannon bone, half way up) and her pasture mate with a large scrap on her leg (from right below stifle wrapping around to cannon then to pastern). There was a storm that night and we believe that the two were running around and sliding into the corners of the pasture (they've been known to do this) and must have gotten hung up on one another.

Vet came out prescribed antibiotics (7 days) and bute (3 days) for both, cold hosing (2x per day) for my mare and wrapping for pasture mate. Both mares swelled up pretty good and both started going down on Friday.

So now 1 week later pasture mate's wound is no longer swollen and is healing nicely. Miss mare however still has swelling, not as much as last week but it is still swollen but the cut has scabbed over and there is no heat. I've continued to cold hose it 2x's per day.

My worries are that Miss Mare had cellulitis in this same leg a month ago, could she have it again? (A whole lot bigger than it is now but went right down w/ steroids)

Should I continue with the cold hosing and just give it more time or sweat wrap it?

I will be calling the vet tomorrow morning but I figure I'd ask COTH since I'm sitting here fretting about it.
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

I am not a vet.

But I did have a somewhat similar situation recently, and vet said a low-grade infection may not generate heat. With tendon sheaths, etc., in that area, which has poor blood supply, you may need a longer course of antibiotics.

Or, it could just be she tweaked it and the swelling has nothing to do with infection.

Good luck.

Juice got kicked 2 weeks ago. The wound was really small, maybe the size of a quarter? but his leg blew up from the forearm (where the wound was) all the way to his ankle. I put him on antibiotics and bute and nothing really happened for the first week. I almost called the vet (for fear it was something worse) but decided to give it the weekend, on the 9th day I came out and the swelling was gone.

I finished the antibiotics (10 days) and there was a bit of swelling around the wound which is now totally gone and there's just a little scab left.

good luck!

I think I will give it til the weekend before getting the vet out. Thanks!
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

Quote Originally Posted by *JumpIt* View Post
    I think I will give it til the weekend before getting the vet out. Thanks!
    clean that wound ie take the scab off its collected the infection
    when you have wounds you clean them out throughly if it bleeds its clean
    ccold hose her twice a day and whilse under the hose get that scab off then clean it throughly hose above the wound not on the wound so the built up fluid goes down her leg and not up and into her bloodstream or body
    if its not deep dont wrap it turn her out with an antic boitic cream and then wound podwer on top of that dont use a dye spray to cover the wound as this makes it difficult to see the healing process and give the vet a harder job to address it
    call the vet out agian and listen to what shes telling you on how to keep it clean