The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Zenyatta for HOTY! That trumps RA, Summer Bird was fairly beaten.

Does a single impressive performance trump a year's worth of historical performances? It'll be interesting to find out. Hats off to Big Z and all her connections for a fantastic win.

OH MY I am out of breath. What a girl. I LOVE LOVE LOVE HER, but Hey, didnt I say that before?
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Default HORSE OF THE YEAR!

It has to be...if anyone doesn't agree I want to know why? WOW!!!! WOOHOO....
    Yeah Zenyatta..
    Thank you Jerry Moss and I have to say Jesse Jackson for giving us one of the best years racing has seen in a long time......
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Default Wow.

That was very, very special.

I don't think my heart can handle any more excitement! Just beautiful-what you dream racing can be.
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Default Everybody Okay?

I'm working today and only caught the Classic live by carefully scheduling my dinner break. The rest is recorded (I hope) for later viewing.

Did everybody make it all the way around today? Except Quality Road, of course, and I was very glad to see them scratch him. He hit that gate awfully hard wheeling around. Hopefully his bangs were the worst injuries we had today.

Quote Originally Posted by ivy62 View Post
    It has to be...if anyone doesn't agree I want to know why?
    I don't have a vote, and I would be happy with HOTY for either the filly or the mare, but the case for Rachel Alexandra is pretty compelling:

First, the overall record: 8-8 on 7 different tracks

Next, the historic significance of her campaign (info from Wiki):
    Martha Washington: Stakes record.
    Kentucky Oaks (Gr I): A final time of 1:48.87, just missing the stakes record for 1 1/8 mile of 1:48.64 set by Bird Town in 2003. Largest winning margin ever.
    Preakness Stakes (Gr I): First filly to win the Preakness since 1924.
    Mother Goose Stakes (Gr I): A final time of 1:46.33, breaking the stakes record and just missing the Belmont track record for 1 1/8 mile of 1:45.40 set by Secretariat in 1973. Largest winning margin ever.
    Haskell Invitational (Gr I): A final time of 1:47.21, just missing the stakes record for 1 1/8 mile of 1:47.00 set by Bet Twice in 1987 and Majestic Light in 1976. Just missed the Monmouth track record for 1 1/8 mile of 1:46.80 set by Spend a Buck in 1985
    Woodward Stakes (Gr I): First filly or mare to win the Woodward, the first 3yo filly to win a G1 route on dirt in New York since 1887.

And, just as Zenyatta ran only as fast as necessary in her starts against CA females, many of RA's near-record times came when she was being geared down in the final furlong or 1/16th.

We're looking at two once-in-a-lifetime animals which means a HOTY debate. It's been a fantastic year.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    I'm working today and only caught the Classic live by carefully scheduling my dinner break. The rest is recorded (I hope) for later viewing.

Did everybody make it all the way around today? Except Quality Road, of course, and I was very glad to see them scratch him. He hit that gate awfully hard wheeling around. Hopefully his bangs were the worst injuries we had today.
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet that while there were no breakdowns, Lillie Langtry, who went off as the favorite in the Juvenile Fillies Turf, apparently suffered a slab fracture in a knee during the race. Link to the Bloodhorse article-

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...cture?id=53350

Quote from Magnier- "She has a small fracture in her knee. It was nobody's fault and everybody here at Santa Anita dealt with it efficiently. It's not a career-threatening injury. She will have a pin inserted in the knee on Sunday and then she will follow on home in 10 days time."

I hope it's as minor as they say.

I've been one of those folks jumping and squealing about the BC being at SA two years in a row, but must admit that yesterday was a great day of racing, even before the magnificent crowning performance. Nice to see the American horses holding their own.

Barnfairy did you make a wager?

One person scored big in New England

Zenyatta's popular win in Saturday's Breeders' Cup Classic at Santa Anita capped a $2 pick six that returned $1,838,305 to one ticketholder.

According to track officials, the bet was placed through a Lewiston, Maine, bet-processing hub.

The pick six pool reached $3,313,244, well past the guaranteed figure of $2 million. It was not easy to hit. The winners were Dancing in Silks ($52.60), Vale of York ($63.20), Goldikova ($4.80), Furthest Land ($44.60), Conduit ($3.80), and Zenyatta ($7.60).

The perfect weather - and reduced admission price plus de-coupling the mandatory two day purchase - all made for a vastly improved spectacle with the crowds. Those who did show up were certainly richly rewarded with some fantastic racing!

According to figures released on Saturday evening by the Breeders' Cup, Saturday's program drew an ontrack crowd of 58,845, an increase of 6 percent over 2008. Friday's attendance was 37,651, a 20 percent increase, leading to a two-day ontrack attendance of 96,496, a gain of 11 percent over 2008.
    Someone cited Presious Passion just missing the Breeders' Cup Turf victory which was a shame as provided the turf is firm he always stands a very good chance to win. (The Arlington Million this year had turf which had been rained on and was very yielding so he didn't stand a chance)

He simply runs lights out, like a switch either its on or off - no easing into 100% strength. This was PP this summer: re-watch his track record effort in the United Nations (Grade 1T) this year. He's got gobs of speed and hell no he won't rate whatsoever.

I enjoyed Presious Passion's run, and the replay you posted looked pretty much the same- jockey loops the reins and then inches them back up to get him in gear. Seems to work well for him!

For all those dirt horses who avoided the Breeders Cup there is some validity: From the San Diego Union Tribune:

Over two years of Cup racing at Santa Anita, not one horse who made its previous start on a dirt track won a race on the synthetic main track.

Proof again that synthetic is not dirt and is truly a 3rd surface unto itself which should not be used in lieu of a Dirt race.

Cited by one trainer on one of the BC pre-race programs was that its fine of the BC wants to call it the BC Synthetic Mile but don't call it the Dirt Mile.

A few other post-Breeders Cup actions:

Mine That Bird will not in 2010 return to run on any synthetic surfaces.

Forever Together likely made her last career start with the 3rd place finish in the Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf. The 2008 Turf Mare Eclipse winning, George Strawbridge Jr owned, mare will likely join his breeding program.

Rainbow View a 3-yr old George Strawbridge Jr runner from Europe will be transferred from trainer John Gosden to Jonathan Sheppard. The multiple group 1 winner finished 5th in the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic - her first start on a synthetic surface. Look for Rainbow to become 2010's Forever Together ...

Summer Bird will follow the late Tin Cup Chalice in racing next in the $2.8M Japan Cup Dirt in December. He'll leave California November 17 for the December 6th race.

Cannonball will add to his passport which is amazing for a US horse. Racing in England this year, then the US, and now off to Hong Kong.

who will make his next start in the Hong Kong Sprint (G1) on December 13. "After Hong Kong, he will go to Australia to run in the Coolmore Lightning Stakes ([Aus-G1] at Flemington) on January 30. Then it will be back to Royal Ascot next year."

The four-year-old gelding was shipped to the Royal Ascot meet in England in June, finishing second by a neck in the Golden Jubilee S. (Eng-G1)
    As for Presious Passion he's all good and the connections very happy.
    He'll be flying back to New Jersey [today] and the owners have talked about a race in Hong Kong later this year. He'll be staying at Gulfstream Park again this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    A few other post-Breeders Cup actions:

Cannonball will add to his passport which is amazing for a US horse. Racing in England this year, then the US, and now off to Hong Kong.

who will make his next start in the Hong Kong Sprint (G1) on December 13. "After Hong Kong, he will go to Australia to run in the Coolmore Lightning Stakes ([Aus-G1] at Flemington) on January 30. Then it will be back to Royal Ascot next year."
    Cannonball has arrived in HK however he's got an elevated temp. Do you think that will stop him? Nope. Per the Racing Post it's still a go:

Hong Kong Jockey Club's International Racing Manager Mark Player.

"A bit of a temperature after a long flight is all it is, but he'll have a couple of easy days and he will be fine," he told the South China Morning Post.

"He's getting vaccinated on Monday for Japanese encephalitis, as the plan is for him to go on to Australia after here and it is required for him to enter there, so, all in all, it was a wise decision to come early. It gives them plenty of time to get over any issues like this."
    Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Sprint is on December 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Hopefully with no threats against him.

(UK) Guardian 10-28-09 "Man charged over alleged threat to kill Conduit"

The life of the leading racehorse, Conduit, was allegedly threatened this summer by a blackmailer who sought to prevent its participation in Ascot's premier race.

The menacing demands are said to have been sent by text message and email, threatening to kill the horse if it was not withdrawn from the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes in July. Conduit was then a short-priced favourite for that prestigious race, which he went on to win.
    The world is certainly filled with whacked out people.
    Following up this story ....

The Times Jan 4, 2010 "Syndicate bagman Andrew Rodgerson threatened to kill top horse"

Excerpt

A desperate man who placed bets for a gambling syndicate threatened to kill a top racehorse if the owners did not withdraw it from one of the sport's most prestigious races, Bolton Crown Court has been told.

Andrew Rodgerson, 26, panicked when he realised that he would be left owing £55,000 to the betting ring because he had failed to place a bet on Conduit to win the King George Vl and Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Ascot in July last year.

He sent a series of increasingly desperate text and e-mail messages to Peter Reynolds, general manager of the Ballymacoll Stud, the horse's Irish owners, and industry leaders, warning them that their valuable thoroughbred would be killed unless it was scratched.

Rodgerson was arrested and, three days later, Conduit, ridden by Ryan Moore, and trained by Sir Michael Stoute, romped home to win the £500,000 race.
    Judge Nield told Rodgerson that others must be deterred from holding the racing industry to ransom as she sentenced him to eight months and two weeks in prison before suspending the term for two years.
    Duncan Wilcock, for the prosecution, told the court that Mr Reynolds received the first text shortly after 3pm on Wednesday July 15, ten days before the race.

It read: "Dear Peter, We would just like to warn you should Conduit run in the King George then the horse will be killed".

Mr Reynolds, who said later that he had never received such a message in 37 years in the sport, contacted Sir Michael at his Newmarket yard, where Conduit was stabled.
    Per another article the Judge remarked:

Sentencing him to 34 weeks in jail, suspended for two years, Judge Angela Nield said he had embarked on a "foolish escapade".

She accepted his actions had no practical consequences in that Conduit lined up for the King George and actually went on to claim victory, but she said a message of deterrence had to go out.
    I'm sure somewhere in 1973 someone quipped to another person, "you did place our bets on Secretariat to win the Belmont, right?" Only to get the "I thought you said Sham" with a flush face