The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Not to rub it in but I simply do not see how MTB will hit the board with that much talent in the field.
    As you know, I'm fond of the li'l pony, but I actually agree w/ you IF Zenyatta, Mastercraftsman and RVW all run. OTOH if NONE of them do... ???
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Oh, ouch. I'm just noticing that the COTH forums will be offline 4-6 November. It's going to be a lonely run-up and then a lonely day at the races . . . .

Per her workout this AM - Zenyatta is a go for the BCC

[John Shirreffs ] has seen what he wanted to see. After her final workout on Saturday morning at Hollywood Park, Shirreffs said all systems were go for Zenyatta to race in the BC Classic next Saturday at Santa Anita's Oak Tree meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Boogers! Exciting for racing fans in general of course, but for us li'l Bird fans, not so much....

Grits - maybe we should start thinking now about another place to temporarily congregate... The Outside Course maybe?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Just for War Admiral with MTB

Regardless of how Mine That Bird does on Saturday, Woolley said he will get a well-deserved rest.

"He'll be turned out in New Mexico," Woolley said. "He's been up all year. He needs a little rest, 45 to 60 days off. Then we'll see what to do in the spring."
    Although keep in mine there is the dark horse of Richard's Kid in that BCC too and right now Bob Baffert could send out a donkey tied to a tree and he'd stand a chance to win on that Oak Tree track. The man sold his soul to the devil or something Sunday was "the Bob Show" in fill display and all three of his BC starters - Zensational and Lookin at Lucky - all are loaded for bear.

ps - the on/off and off/on saga with Kodiak Kowboy going to the BC ended. He won't be going after putting a poor work on the Pro Ride surface. Scoping of his lungs showed mucas so he's a no-go.

In a tip the New York Yankees and the phrase Murders Row - 1927 lineup - Godolphin stables is being said to have something of the same in reference to the shedrow at Santa Anita:

Aligned along the west side of the shed row were the colts: Pyro, Ancient Title winner Gayego (Sprint), 2008 BC Juvenile winner Midshipman (Dirt Mile), Super Derby winner Regal Ransom (Classic), and Jerome winner Girolamo (Classic). Facing them were the girls: the Ladies' Classic runners Cocoa Beach and Music Note, winners of the last two Beldames, and the Filly and Mare Sprint contenders Sara Louise, fresh from a sterling second to champion Indian Blessing, and Seventh Street, winner of the Apple Blossom and Go for Wand.

With the COTH going on hiatus I'd recommend for a BC resource the Thoroughbred Times Breeders' Cup section- example with the JV

They showed prep-races, outcome, video replay (as available), etc

Just 3-days and 16 hours until the first BC races ...

Are entries tomorrow? I can't wait! I'm taking Friday off. Only partially because of the Breeders' Cup, but it certainly will help make an enjoyable day!

As the trainer it must be also nice to be the exercise rider as you're not going to get that with Todd Pletcher

Video of Einstein's 4 furlong work Nov 1, 2009 with Helen Pitts-Blasi up: (see @ 6.30 mark of there abouts)

Interestingly enough at 7 years old this is Einstein's first Breeders' Cup appearance.

Surprisingly jockey Rosemary Homeister Jr. if she wins the BC Marathon on Cloudy's Knight would be only the 2nd BC victory by a female jockey. There have been 23 Breeders' Cup starts by female jocks. Only Julie Krone aboard the filly Halfbridled (2003) found the winner's circle.

Julie Krone is the all-time leading female jockey with 3,704 wins, while Rosemary Homeister passed Patti Cooksey for second on July 20 at Colonial Downs in Virginia by riding her 2,138th winner. As of Monday, Homeister had upped her career total to 2,194.

All of the women we've started in the BC (starts):
    Donna Barton (2)
    Julie Krone (17)
    Greta Kuntzweiler (1)
    Lisa McFarland (1)
    Chantal Sutherland (1) and yes it was on Mine That Bird in 2008
    Francine Villeneuve (1)

Cloudy's Knight, age 9, trained by Jonathan Sheppard should be a solid contender. The gelding bred and owned by Shirley and Jerrold Schwartz, is a Sovereign Award champion of 2007 who has earned more than $2.25 million in a 38-race career.

Sheppard said that although Cloudy's Knight has never raced on a synthetic surface, he believes turf horses tend to make a smooth natural transition and that the gelding has trained well over the Polytrack at Keeneland in recent weeks. He also said he is confident in the job Homeister will do.

"She rides a fine race," said Sheppard. "We're very glad to have her."

Perhaps the worst kept secret: Jerry Moss confirmed Tuesday 10-3-09: Zenyatta in the BCC against the boys

“She deserves the chance to show what she can do,” said Jerry Moss, who owns the 5-year-old mare with his wife, Ann. “By the nature of her two recent works, she’s certainly shown us she’s ready to perform at her best level.”
    Also Chip Woolley would make Summer Bird the favorite in the BCC - not his own Mine That Bird

When asked what odds he would make for his horse, he grinned, threw a coffee cup into the trash and said, “50-1.” Same odds Mine That Bird went off at when he woin the Derby.

“Realistically, I should out to be 25-1, 30-1,” Woolley said of his horse, who has not won a race since the Derby. “If I was the oddsmaker, I would make Summer Bird the favorite. I don’t care what anyone says, that horse has run huge. He is not the same horse that he was when he ran in the Kentucky Derby.”
    HRTV is carrying the position announcement live now (4pm EST)

I wish someone would tell CW that he should run MTB in the Marathon not the clasic...
    JMHO
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

I am looking at the ML odds and I have no idea what substance this person was on but IMHO they'd have a very hard time justifying many of them.

Zenyatta is listed as the favorite at 5-2 !?! from PP 4; a couple of others: Summer Bird is 9-2 and Rip Van Winkle is 7-2

Anybody else think that Evita Argentina listed at 20-1 is a bit out there??? I love that filly- I however, hope she stays that far out, I'd like to make a buck. I loved watching her take on the boys this past spring, she's quite game.

Some possible foot issues with Rip Van Winkle could force a withdrawal before the Breeders Cup Classic

O’Brien told the Racing Post Tuesday, “This horse has had no clean run this year and he hasn't had one this time.’ The problem is again a foot problem but this time a different foot is affected.”

Rip Van Winkle is the overwhelming 6-4 favorite with William Hill and Coral. O’Brien said Rip Van Winkle will go to the track on Wednesday, after which they will determine the extent of the injury.

“With Rip Van Winkle it's always been day by day,” O’Brien said. “What he's done up to now I've been amazed that he's been able to do."

Just wondering, why is Joe Talamo exercising Mine That Bird but Calvin Borel is the race jockey?

Borel is riding at Churchill. Talamo is based at SA.

Contrary to suggestions before with a foot problem, Rip Van Winkle is IN and will not be a scratch. His work and examination today all were good and he's a go.

Default and the first race is in!

Well, since I don't bet, I was screaming my lungs out neverthe less, for Cloudy's Knight.
    He missed by an eyelash. Ah well, good on you Man of Iron! a half brother to Jazil and Rags to Riches.
    on to the fillies!
    Another killer of threads

ESPN/ABC's camera work is EXCELLENT for the 1st race

Race 3 (but first BC race): the Marathon was Close by a sliver after 1 3/4 miles.

The great old man 9-yr old Cloudy's Knight loses by a nose to Man of Iron. Rosemary and Jonathan Sheppard should hold their heads up high.

A distant third was the favorite - Mastery.

An aside: (as ABC noted) trainer Bobby Frankel who has been battling lymphoma and unseen for most of 2009 was checked into Cedar's this week.