The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing in SoCal?

Does it exist? I'm toying with the idea of moving an hour north of San Diego. Any chance of getting a good chance to try out this discipline which has me hooked or am I stuck to hunters and jumpers?
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

Oh! Go find Erin Kellerhouse in Temecula. She is fantastic.

It's a great place! As far as horse shows you have Galway in Temecula, Copper Meadows in Ramona, and 3 Day Ranch in Anza (about 30 min east of Temecula). These are all within an hour drive. If you can drive a bit farther you can hit Flintridge, Twin Rivers, and Ram Tap.

For Trainers Jenifer Wooten is based in Ramona, Erin Kellerhouse and Hawley Bennet are based out of Kingsway Farm in Temecula (across the street from Galway Downs for easy cross country schooling) and Tamara Smith is located in La Cresta, a bit north of temecula. All are excellent trainers.

The winters are mellow and allow for riding throughout. We even attract eventers from colder climates who chose to hang out here and get an early start on the spring events. The summers do get a bit hot but you will survive.

The cost of living is a bit higher here than in Michigan, but it's still possible. As long as you are here I would also encourage you to try out fox hunting. The Santa Fe Hunt is active around that area and it is very addictive.

Let me know if there is any more specific information you need, I'm happy to share my experiences.

In Temecula,(about an hr north of San Diego, there is Galway Downs CCI*classic and short format and a CCI** an d a training 3-day the last weekend of Oct. it is an awesome event. Three-day ranch is about 1 hrs east from there. Copper Meadows is about 2 hrs from galway...a short drive north(around 6 hrs) is twin rivers, and a skip from there north is Woodside(4 hrs from twin rivers).There are several other events, just look at the USEA website, but these were on the top of my head. For instructors, you can go to the Area VI website(which is on the USEA website) but in temecula alone, there is Hawley Bennett and Erin Kellerhouse... Both barns are very close to Galway downs..and they are both exellent instructors. Welcome to California...everywhere is a drive, but it is well worth it....wish i lived there...i live about 5 hrs from the closest event(thats local)....mostly i have to drive 15-20 hrs to get to any event...
    Last edited by three_dayer; Oct. 6, 2009 at 11:53 PM. Reason: just because

Where specifically are you moving to? I just moved to So Cal as well and settled in the San Marcos area, I did lots of research and looked at lots of barns. Eventing is alive and well here. I'm happy to help you learn the area, esp from a new comer's view point.

I spent 8 years in LA while I was in grad school.

It was culture shock. No green. No pastures. Few trees.

Weather was great, but the cost to event was prohibitive. It made the Northeast look cheap. Most events ran over three days making it incredibly costly because you had to stable. The barns that I knew evented as "barns" with day fees, groom fees, shared tack rooms, etc. It was a way different scene from what I was accustomed to. Not bad, just different.

I'm still new to eventing, I've been doing pre BN courses. I'm still not positive on the town, fiancee lives in barracks an hour north of San Diego.

My horse is never stalled, but our pasture has no grazing either. I'm not sure how the weather changes would make her feel. I have a good year or so before I do move out due to college and a very nice job. I'll be getting married in 2 months, future hubby said he'll pay any fees to keep me and my horse happy in SoCal. He hates me living so far away.

How does fox hunting compare to eventing? I'm doing a small hunters pace at the end of the month.
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaandTuff View Post
    I'm still new to eventing, I've been doing pre BN courses. I'm still not positive on the town, fiancee lives in barracks an hour north of San Diego.

My horse is never stalled, but our pasture has no grazing either. I'm not sure how the weather changes would make her feel. I have a good year or so before I do move out due to college and a very nice job. I'll be getting married in 2 months, future hubby said he'll pay any fees to keep me and my horse happy in SoCal. He hates me living so far away.

How does fox hunting compare to eventing? I'm doing a small hunters pace at the end of the month.
    I know Kingsway for sure has pasture, and its even irrigated so has stuff to nibble on (they were a huge TB breeding operation before, they still do but just not as much). I don't believe Jen Wooten's place has much in the way of pasture though, they have a couple little turn outs, but I don't think they do pasture.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

I'm assuming your husband will be at Pendleton? I think where you choose to put your horse would depend on where YOU end up working. Definitely the better eventing scene is south of Pendleton- as 53 says, the San Marcos/ Vista area is a good place to live/ board your horse and there is lots of eventing and foxhunting nearby (Galway, Kingsway, Copper, 3-day).

However if you are working in Orange County, you may want to think about keeping your horse in San Juan Capistrano and trailering out to events, clinics, foxhunting etc. This is what I do. I am at Tar Farm in SJC and I am very happy there. Great trails, on-site dressage and jumper instruction, very friendly vibe. No turnout of course so that is the major downside.

I"ve only been in this area for just over two years and we love SoCal, and have been very happy in Orange County. Now having said that, the hubs and I are contemplating a move to the Vista/ San Marcos area ourselves. We haven't pulled the trigger yet though because unless I change jobs (I work in Irvine, he is in Oceanside), my commute would be HELLISH.

WRT foxhunting, I roaded all summer with a recognized foxhunt running out of Kingsway that I have just joined for this season. www.santafehunt.com
    I also just discovered a little ring/ cross-country schooling facility in Fallbrook www.fallbrookriders.com
    Feel free to ask any other questions you can think of!
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

If it's Camp Pendleton, they have a stable.

Copper Meadows and Galway are my top 2

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    If it's Camp Pendleton, they have a stable.
    Don't board at the stables on base. They're run down and, from what I hear, mismanaged. Plus there is a huge waiting list (I have no idea why...could be because they're cheap).

DH was based at Pendleton when we were married, and we chose to live in an apartment in Murrieta, which is about a 35 minute drive to the Fallbrook gate. Plus another 5 minutes to get through the naval weapons station. But the drive was worth it to us to save money on housing (we still got the Pendleton rate for BAH even though we were living in southwest Riverside County. Anything in San Diego County or Orange County is going to be considerably more expensive). That, and I was commuting to Pomona at the time, so we needed something in between.

If you PM me I can give you the name of the place where I board. It's not an eventing barn, but the owners give excellent care to the horses, it's inexpensive, and there are two of us who are eventing groupies. I am not currently competing due to finances. The other lady's son does compete but he boards at Kingsway, which is a lot more expensive. But it might be worth it to you to have immediate access to trainer, jumps, xc course, etc.

But the main events around here are Galway and Copper Meadows. I am a frequent spectator at Galway and I always hear great reviews about it. I can't wait to try it out someday.
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

Big, big, BIG thumbs-up on Erin Kellerhouse. She's at Kingsway in Temecula (like Hawley). Kingsway itself does have pastures but your horse would be in with several others fighting for every blade of grass (and you wouldn't know who your horse was in with from day to day because they switch them around so often). Erin has a slightly different situations in that she rents one part of the farm from the owners so she controls the turnout in her own pastures.

Talking love Cali

I love Cali! The hubby and I moved from Ky over a year ago, although he is from here, big adjustment for me. I asked the same questions as you have. I live in La Cresta five minutes from Murrieta, which is very modestly priced for Cali. I have my horses at home but started my young horse with Erin, she is fantastic. She is the whole package, not only do they provide top care she has an excellent assistant and the barn runs smoothly, NO DRAMA. They have access to Galway( two minute hack) which her husband manages, Robert. Himself an accomplished rider, and show organizer. They are very friendly and accomodating and will bend over backwards to help you. They are not going to nickle and dime you, and they love to have fun and compete at the same time. Huge recomendation!
    Forward is good

Orange County is expensive, but there are quite a few barns in the San Juan Capistrano area. Ginny Bryant is at Equites there, she is Jennifer Wooten's trainer. I have a friend who rides there, and they do day trips to Galway to school the cross country course. They have a nice facility- but like most barns here in OC no turnout.

As far as the stable at the base, I thought I read something in Riding Magazine or the like that it was under new management and improvements had been made. Might be worth looking into if you will be living on base. You will enjoy Southern California- there is always something to do!!!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010