The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking for info on WB gelding "Riptide" from Ocala-area

I'm just looking for information for my Mom on a horse she just acquired.

He was purchased from a woman named Mary Shepard who is approximately 55-60 years old, who is in/from/had a farm in the Ocala, FL, area. She hit a financial snag, just like a lot of us, and sold this horse in order to keep a couple others UTD on their board bills. My Mom was told he was ~8 years old and a son of a stallion who (come to find out) is only 10 and didn't come to the US until 2004.

The horse is a dark bay gelding, 16.2 or 16.3 hh, two hind socks and a star w/ snip. They were calling him Riptide. His teeth show him to be about five, no less than four.

She's looking for information on the horse now, since it seems what she was told wasn't true or completely true. However, the former owner seems to be screening her calls and not returning VMs, and not responding to emails. My guess is she had great communication with the seller up until the check was signed, and now nada.

If the horse sounds familiar to anyone, or the old owner, please feel free to PM me. TIA.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

wish i could help you. i will ask around as i know mary. i did not know she still had any horses though. and she leased that farm in ocala, not sure where she is now.who is the stallion?
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Thanks for asking around.

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I'm just looking for information for my Mom on a horse she just acquired.

He was purchased from a woman named Mary Shepard who is approximately 55-60 years old, who is in/from/had a farm in the Ocala, FL, area. She hit a financial snag, just like a lot of us, and sold this horse in order to keep a couple others UTD on their board bills. My Mom was told he was ~8 years old and a son of a stallion who (come to find out) is only 10 and didn't come to the US until 2004.

The horse is a dark bay gelding, 16.2 or 16.3 hh, two hind socks and a star w/ snip. They were calling him Riptide. His teeth show him to be about five, no less than four.

She's looking for information on the horse now, since it seems what she was told wasn't true or completely true. However, the former owner seems to be screening her calls and not returning VMs, and not responding to emails. My guess is she had great communication with the seller up until the check was signed, and now nada.

If the horse sounds familiar to anyone, or the old owner, please feel free to PM me. TIA.

Is it a TB? Any tattoo? You can call the FTBOA and ask them (for a small fee) do do some pedigree inquiries based on his name....?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

WHAT?????Someone lied about the age/experience/background of a sale horse??? NO!!!
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Crap, I am trying to remember DETAILS, but I was going to go look at him when he was in New York. He was a little hot, and did the level 5s and 6s right? They were selling him for $15k.

Is that a joke? First post clearly states Florida.

naters, she didn't mention a tattoo and mentioned his teeth, so my guess would be he does not have one. She was told he was a Oldenburg/Hanoverian.

Why would Lkramer's post be a joke? Someone in Florida might send a sale horse to be tried/shown at a sale barn in NY. If you think they lied about other details, perhaps they lied about where the horse has previously lived/shown/been for sale.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Wouldn't a vet have caught the age discrepency during the ppe?
    !

You're right, sorry. The all caps on "details" made me think lkramer was being sarcastic...blame lack of sleep, I had just gotten up from a three hour nap after a 15 hour shift.

I'm not sure what level 5 and 6s is, I'm rather removed from hunters. I'm only posting here because that's where he came from. My impression from what she told me is that he is greenish and over-bitted, but otherwise nice. She said he was plodder though, which caused her some confusion to the severe bit as he needed go, not whoa, so I guess he isn't hot?? Though with some level of deception already, he might be drugged. Let me see if I can get a picture.

I'm not sure what level 5 and 6s is.

Jumpers. And biggish ones too.
    ~Veronica

Is he branded? (Usually left flank.) and if so, what is the brand?

And do ask your mother to check for a lip tattoo to eliminate ottb.

Thanks. I couldn't remember if numbers got bigger or smaller the larger the fences got. No, definitely NOT this horse; my impression is he's green.

She didn't mention a brand. Or a tattoo. I'll try to reach her later and ask if she checked for a tattoo.

Level 5/6 jumpers would be quite a lot (though I suppose not unheard of) for a 4/5 year old. I am guessing "Riptide" is a common enough name that the one Lkramer tried isn't the same horse. Posting pictures would help a lot. Did you search USEF?
    ~Veronica

Thanks. I couldn't remember if numbers got bigger or smaller the larger the fences got. No, definitely NOT this horse; my impression is he's green.

She didn't mention a brand. Or a tattoo. I'll try to reach her later and ask if she checked for a tattoo.
    Wet the left flank. Sometimes a brand does not show up till horse is sweaty, or wet, or very cold (when the hairs stand straight out).

Sorry, not a joke. Horses are capable of being transported within 24 hours. I was going to look at a bay horse named Riptide on my way back from shopping at Frank Maddens barn, but they said he was sold. That was about 9 months ago. I am pretty sure he was selling as a thoroughbred. I though it was very fishy that a level 5 jumper would be selling for $15k, but I had to take a look. Anyway, that is all probably super unuseful because it is probably not even the same horse. It is a pretty cool name, there could be several! Did you check his show record on USEF?

OK. I called; he does not have a lip tattoo or any brand, and seeing as she lives in the South, I'm sure he has gotten sweaty and/or hosed. She said he is built like a WB not a TB.

I know you are trying to help out someone long distance, but this is tough. First, get some good pictures. Second, make sure you've got the names straight. Third, tell us how the horse was represented initially, and what problems/contradictions have since shown up. It sounds like your (mom?) has bought an unpapered gelding. Without more information than that, he truly can't be represented as anything but "we think..." and judged by his merit from his performance in whatever discipline he shows in. In other words until you find out the name of his sire, he is a grade horse of unknown registry, not "maybe" an Oldenburg/Hanoverian. However, if you can get that sire's name, you can take a hair sample from the horse and send it to the suspected registry for a DNA test, which will tell you definitely whether they are related. From there you can contact the owner/manager of the stud and find out who registered foals for his suspected birth year/s and maybe get a dam name and registry.
    It sounds like you really just want info about the horses changed behaviour, so if that's all, then give us the details. Try not to be frustrated while all try to help you.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but many people have had that problem with Mary Shepard - once the money has cleared all communications stops.
    I unfortunately know this from experience - good luck in your search for information but she may have changed its name, or made it all up - I hope you get some answers. Maybe like someone else said a picture would help.
    Did your mom go to the farm Mary leased on Hwy 225A in Ocala or somewhere else? Maybe the horse was not at her farm - if you knew the name/location of the farm where it was stabled someone might know another contact person.

Lieb Schon - I think she's send me pictures...

Like I said, here's what I know: he is from FL, owned by Mary Shepard. The horse was sent to a farm near my Mom in Alabama to be with her daughter (I think) but then had to sold. She was told the horse was an 8 yo Oldenburg/Hanoverian by the stallion CA Chablis. He is apparently none of those. Now we're just trying to find out WHO is he.