The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Puppy problems, before we even have the puppy!

So, here is the situation. We're buying a puppy and we were the first to put down a deposit. We were told we have pick of the litter. We are supposed to pick out and pick up the puppy Sunday. They are now telling us that one of the puppies is unavailable because they have decided to keep that one. They are also telling us that if we don't get there (6 hours away) before these other people on Sunday then they will get pick.
    Should we get our deposit back and not deal with these people?
    Is it odd to tell somebody they have pick of the litter and then keep one of the puppies themselves? Would that bother you? Also what about being told if we don't get there first then the other people get to chose before we do?
    We were also told that we can have our depost back before we pick a puppy in an email, so hopefully we are okay there.
    Any advice is appreciated....I know RUN!!!!
    (I kind of have a quick temper, so I just want to make sure I'm not overreacting)
    CRAYOLA Posse: PLUM

Most reputable breeders I know don't let buyers pick a puppy. Rather, the breeder evaluates each puppy as it gets older and determines which one would be a good fit for each buyer based on detailed information provided by the buyer. It helps prevent those unfortunate mis-matches between new puppy and a buyer who might say "oh what a cute puppy and he's soooo playful" - then the "playfulness" ends up being more along the lines of a dog who has way too much energy for the owner. That being said, most breeders do usually get pick of the litter (usually it goes to the owner of the stud unless a fee was paid). But it seems odd they wouldn't have mentioned that to you earlier on.

As far as the breeder deciding to keep a puppy, possibly they hadn't planned on it but one turned out so nice that they want it for their own breeding/showing program. As far as telling you that you need to get there if you want the pick before another buyer shows up, it does make sense that they would only want to show the buyer the 'other' available puppies rather than the second buyer wanting the exact puppy you decide on. It might be a way of avoiding that confrontration. Go ahead and get there early as requested and pick out your puppy. Surely you've done your homework on the breeder already as far as reputation, whether they do health checks and certifications, etc. right? The fact that they are ready to give you your deposit back shows that they aren't as interested in the money as good homes for the puppy.

I let the breeder suggest the puppy for me. I wanted a specific sex but other than that, I wanted show quality as well as ability to do what I wanted athletically and can't assess that as well as her. I wasn't sure of her choice for me, but now that I've had him for several weeks I am so glad that she chose this one for me as I think he's darn near perfect.

As a breeder I usually give people the choice of 2 puppies. I take the info about their lifestyles and activity level and I decide what pup works for them. I too have seen people picking the wrong pup and this way I can avoid that.

As for the breeder telling you to come early, I would. In this economy its hard to sell pups even if you are one of the most respected breeders out there and they might think that they have a good fit with people who can only come at one certain time, and they are hoping that you are more flexable than the other people.

You could just adopt a puppy....and save a life. Just got an email with some adorable 7 week old babies that will die this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley0522 View Post
    You could just adopt a puppy....and save a life. Just got an email with some adorable 7 week old babies that will die this weekend.

We have a dog that we adopted years ago and will adopt again in the future for our "farm" dog.
    My husband is a duck hunter and loves Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and has had many over the years. So, that is what we are getting. Also, he knows exactly the type of personality he wants and plans on spending a few hours with the pups to choose the one he wants. He has also discussed this with the breeder and it was agreed upon. I'm just worried because the breeder keeps changing what was agreed upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybeapril View Post
    We have a dog that we adopted years ago and will adopt again in the future for our "farm" dog.
    My husband is a duck hunter and loves Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and has had many over the years. So, that is what we are getting. Also, he knows exactly the type of personality he wants and plans on spending a few hours with the pups to choose the one he wants. He has also discussed this with the breeder and it was agreed upon. I'm just worried because the breeder keeps changing what was agreed upon.
    If you are set on a certain kind of dog, since you have specific needs for it, I would keep looking, if things don't settle, that breeder seems a little bit flaky.

A friend just drove a few hours three weeks ago to look at some puppies and is driving there again this week to pick her puppy.
    She is an experienced competitor and knows exactly what she needs.

People like that need to do all they can to insure that their next dog, that will be working with them for many years, is the right kind.

Now, if someone can make do with any one dog, then rescuing makes sense.

If someone wants to show in hunters, they would not really go rescue the first pony that shows up, they would look for the qualities they need to compete.

It is the same for those that have working dogs.

The waffling about who gets pick of the litter would make me rethink dealing with these people. Maybe them keeping a puppy was an honest oversight - they thought they mentioned that if any pup looks particularly good, they'd keep her, or they know they didn't say it but they just can't resist and just hoped you'd overlook that - but the deadline to come pick a puppy would grate on me, coming after they already redefined 'pick' as 'anything we don't want.' If your getting pick of the litter was a selling point, maybe their price should come down - not that I think it will, but you get my point.

And I know that most breeders define a buyer's pick as anything they don't want to keep themselves, but the OP seems to think the breeder only recently developed an intention of keeping a puppy. Fair enough, maybe puppy developed stunningly or breeder fell in love, but they shouldn't try to press the buyer a second time with an ultimatum that they chose on breeder's very short deadline or they lose out.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    Don't really understand the eye roll, it was just a suggestion. I have some friends in rescue and they send me emails all the time with puppies in shelters and on euthanasia lists.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

As breeders, we almost never decide to keep a pup until it's about 10 weeks old. That's the only way to keep breeding better-by putting only the best back into the program. Otherwise the breeding is just for income only and that never works out for the benefit of the dogs.

Buyers come for a visit and we get to know them and what will be a good fit for their family. If approved, they get on the waiting list. No one ever gets "pick of the litter". They may get several to chose from if personalities are similar. Some even bring their trainers for the selection process-from all over the country. The rest of the homes wait until this selection is made and then the selection goes on from there. This often does take several weeks once they are old enough to leave but that's fine with us.

Your situation sounds a bit peculiar but I imagine that if someone gets there first and only wants one particular pup, which will happen, then it puts everything else in limbo for the way that breeder works.

If the litter is what you want as far as quality, background, health testing, and all the other stuff then I would get there early. Otherwise, keep looking.

All our farm dogs have always been rescues but there is a place and need for good breeders too. Shelter dogs do not get killed because of the dogs we breed and the homes they go to. In fact, a fair number of people who get our dogs are people who have had shelter dogs and don't want the expense and heartache of health problems, and the problems with house training. Some also have allergies to dogs.

Now, that breed you are talking about has big litters, so you should have plenty to choose from.

I'm fine with good breeders and people buying purebreds, but I don't understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    In fact, a fair number of people who get our dogs are people who have had shelter dogs and don't want the expense and heartache of health problems, and the problems with house training. Some also have allergies to dogs.
    There are some vile and/or bare bones shelters and rescue groups out there that recycle sick dogs and dogs with behavioral problems, so I can understand people getting burned with a 'rescue' from one of these and being afraid to go that route again (which is why I think crappy rescues and shelters should close, not limp along poisoning the well of adopters while boasting of saving individual dogs). But adopting an unwanted dog doesn't have to equal getting a second-rate dog with health and behavioral issues. You just have to choose your source as carefully as you would choose a breeder; I can't get over how people don't realize this. You can't just go onto Petfinder and 'fall in love' with a photo, you have to find a good shelter or rescue, develop a relationship with the people there, and then find a dog there (I make this sound like it takes years, but all it takes is 2 weeks - 1 to visit shelters/contact rescues and get an idea whether they're good, the next to look for a dog). I understand wanting to eliminate the risk of heartbreak, but while you can do a lot to reduce the chances of a dog from your kennel getting certain genetic diseases or disorders, the best bred dog in the world will still get sick and will still die. And can still have behavior issues. I think a few people probably do need, emotionally, to reduce that chance as much as they can but most people don't.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
    I talked to my husband last night and it really came down to us not being impressed with the puppies in that litter. I think that's why the pick of the litter thing bothered us so much. Also, my husband is very picky! This dog is going to be his partner who he trains and puts a lot of time and effort into. These people have another litter coming up so we may wait for that litter, we are really more impressed with the second litter's parents and pedigree.
    I'm hoping all will work out and we can switch our deposit over to the second litter. If not hopefully we get our deposit back and we move on...

Quote Originally Posted by Maybeapril View Post
    Thanks everyone for your comments.
    I talked to my husband last night and it really came down to us not being impressed with the puppies in that litter. I think that's why the pick of the litter thing bothered us so much. Also, my husband is very picky! This dog is going to be his partner who he trains and puts a lot of time and effort into. These people have another litter coming up so we may wait for that litter, we are really more impressed with the second litter's parents and pedigree.
    I'm hoping all will work out and we can switch our deposit over to the second litter. If not hopefully we get our deposit back and we move on...
    I think, if it were me, I would ask for my deposit back now and move on. The breeder has already broken an agreement with you by not allowing you first choice. Then altering the agreement further by placing a time restriction on you. I would fear that the same thing would just happen again.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Equineartworks, I feel the same way. My husband thinks that if it happens with the second litter then we will get our deposit back. After we looked at the pedigree of the second litter there were a few dogs in the pedigree that were in his previous dog's pedigree. He loved that dog and he thinks the risk is worth it. I'm so mad at those people I would have gotten the deposit back yesterday. It will be my husband's dog, so I guess he gets to decide.

I can really understand you being irritated at them changing their minds... that said, do be careful, because the dog breeding community is as small (or smaller) than the horse community, and it's easy to get "blacklisted." Especially if you're interested in a rare breed. So, even if you do decide to go with a different breeder, be verrrry very careful not to ruffle any feathers with the first one.

I've heard too many stories about breeders spreading rumors about potential puppy buyers, making it hard to impossible for the buyers to find anyone willing to sell to them! It always pays to tread carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    I'm fine with good breeders and people buying purebreds, but I don't understand this.

There are some vile and/or bare bones shelters and rescue groups out there that recycle sick dogs and dogs with behavioral problems, so I can understand people getting burned with a 'rescue' from one of these and being afraid to go that route again (which is why I think crappy rescues and shelters should close, not limp along poisoning the well of adopters while boasting of saving individual dogs). But adopting an unwanted dog doesn't have to equal getting a second-rate dog with health and behavioral issues. You just have to choose your source as carefully as you would choose a breeder; I can't get over how people don't realize this. You can't just go onto Petfinder and 'fall in love' with a photo, you have to find a good shelter or rescue, develop a relationship with the people there, and then find a dog there (I make this sound like it takes years, but all it takes is 2 weeks - 1 to visit shelters/contact rescues and get an idea whether they're good, the next to look for a dog). I understand wanting to eliminate the risk of heartbreak, but while you can do a lot to reduce the chances of a dog from your kennel getting certain genetic diseases or disorders, the best bred dog in the world will still get sick and will still die. And can still have behavior issues. I think a few people probably do need, emotionally, to reduce that chance as much as they can but most people don't.

Totally agree. I also have no issue with people buying a dog for a specific purpose (such as a working dog) but it really bothers me when people seem to have this notion that a shelter dog is 'less worthy' somehow. I'll also add that the sickliest dogs I've owned have been purebreds that came from reputable breeders. Both of those dogs were extremely well bred (westminster champion parents), certified, etc, etc. It's the mixes and mutts that never seem to have an issue from those horrible genetic issues. Personally, I'll never buy a dog again. My last 6 have been rescues and since I have no need for a working dog there is no reason to NOT give a homeless dog a home. They just have to be companions.

From what you said I would be wary of this breeder and your deposit. Sounds flaky.

We have two shelter dogs and one purebred dog. We let the breeder pick which Pyr pup that suited our lifestyle better. I am surprised the breeder doesn't do the same for your husband. Did he ever go into details with them about what he wants in a dog? The "pick" of the litter for him may be different than anyone else's pick. Hence that is why we let our breeder choose the right dog for us. And he is just that--we love him.

Nancy

I wonder, how many breeds does your breeder sell?
    How many breeding dogs do they have?

With such a breed with large litters, all good breeders I know hardly have more than one a year, definitively not two that close.
    Then, maybe this time it just worked like this.