The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2.00 off coupon on Nutrena and Purina feed

TSC emailed me the link to a coupon good until Oct. 13th for 2.00 off either type of feed. Thought others might want to get the link if you feed Nutrena or Purina and are close to a TSC. I feed ADM so can't use the coupon.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/content...05.2009-_-feed

I was all excited when I saw this until I found out they want $16 a bag for Strategy and my tiny feed store is $13
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    I was all excited when I saw this until I found out they want $16 a bag for Strategy and my tiny feed store is $13

the average feed store markup on bagged horse feed is less than $2 bucks on economy brands and less than $4 on super premiums...

bigger is not always cheaper..but the ability to pop in and get an MIA bag of Senior on a Sunday (when the whole world here has been closed since Saturday at noon) is the added cost feature there as it should be
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Oct. 6, 2009 at 05:12 PM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    the average feed store markup on bagged horse feed is less than $2 bucks on econony brands and less than $4 on super premiums...

bigger is not always cheaper..but the ability to pop in and get an MIA bag of Senior on a Sunday (when the whole world here has been closed since Saturday at noon) is the added cost feature there as it should be
    Oh, I agree. I was sort of surprised though. I do buy a good deal of stuff from TSC because we are tax exempt. Their prices for most of the things I buy are comparable so I don't grumble much. I did expect to see the feed at the same price as the feed store.

Whoa. Tractor Supply wants $14.99 for Safe Choice. My feed store charges $12.09! Even factoring in the gas, feed store is much cheaper! My experience with Tractor Supply is that they are unable to keep anything in stock....so good luck!

Didn't realize there was that much of a markup as I don't buy feed at TSC but buy at a local, tiny feed store two miles from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    Seriously?

Our TSC was selling the Strategy for $12.47 a bag when I was there yesterday, so I bought three (as much as my little car will hold).

The local feed mill charges about $14/bag of Strategy.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

I just called our TS in Canandaigua, NY and they are only about 70 cents more expensive than Country Max. CM is $12.30 and TS is $12.99 I'll be over by CM on Sunday for the Finger Lakes Auction so I might just see if CM will give me Safe Choice that I can get if for at TS or $10.99. CM usually will bargain. If not TS is only a couple of miles away.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

Just a hint: ask for price matching... you will be pleasantly surprised.

We have to compete with the Purina dealer feed store IN THE NEXT PARKING LOT and the co-op... our prices are lower than other stores in the district on specific things... which is why some people drive 30+ mins to get to us when there is a TSC in their town.

We only buy items from TSC that we end up needing on Sunday (when the feed store is closed) and we need it NOW.

We support one of our local feed stores and will continue to do so over TSC. (sorry, we just kind of consider them the Wal-Mart of farm stores...)
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

Hahaha, trust me, they are, but every once in a while you'll run across one with a fantastic manager and it makes all the difference in the quality of the store and customer satisfaction. If TSC is always out of stuff, it is poor management and poor training of the receiver. There are some things that are hard to keep on the shelf (small air compressors when they are in an ad, hi-pro dog food when it's in an ad, etc.) but it should never be for more than a day or two, and most likely another store has it. I know our store personally picks up some transfers from other stores so the customer can have it the same day.... and it does help that we're open earlier and close later than all the businesses in town.

I like my TSC, and they are 100% different than they were last year so they must have new management.

But...my feed store is locally owned. I too see TSC as the Walmart of feed and tack.

My little feed store, Endicott Feed and Tack, is the best. I can go there and ask questions, they will special order for me, they are more concerned with what is best for our animals than what is the bigger dollar sale. I just picked up a lightweight winter blanket there this week. It was a tuffrider and $56. I could have gotten it cheaper someplace online but then I would have had to pay tax, shipping...argh...plus I get the instant gratification of coming home with something for my horses. They have new management there and Mike has gone above and beyond making the store a horse owners resource. All those things we break, bend and lose on a daily basis he has in stock, and at a good price. Our TSC? They have a very limited selection of necessities. It's better, but still so so.

If it came down to an emergency, I would run to TSC and pick up food. But those times are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I just called our TS in Canandaigua, NY and they are only about 70 cents more expensive than Country Max. CM is $12.30 and TS is $12.99
    You beat me too it MSJ.

The TS in Ontario is the same price, $12.99 for Safechoice. I bought three bags with my coupon so they were $10.99 each. Could not pass that up.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    You beat me too it MSJ.

The TS in Ontario is the same price, $12.99 for Safechoice. I bought three bags with my coupon so they were $10.99 each. Could not pass that up.
    I'll be over at Fingerlakes probably Sat and Sunday so I'll see if CM will match TS price. If not, like I said, TS is only a few miles further. I'll be going for 5 bags cause I can fit that much in my 2 empty 30 gallon garbage cans. Since my old QH gets 8 qts/day of Safe Choice and my OTTB gets 2/3 cup/day it goes really fast here.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I live in Albany Georgia and we only have 2 feed stores, one Purina and one Nutrena. TSC's prices on the Purina and Nutrena feeds blow the feed stores out the water. Our Nutrena dealer is a snobby jerk. He only has preppy boys that are supposed to load your feed. They play more than they work. He never gives out coupons ( ever) and if you caome in with one he acts weird about it. He likes to turn in the coupons and get credit without having to anti up on feed. TSC has been selling this feed for 1 week and I already have 2 coupons!!!!

Our Purina feed dealer here in town changed ownership a few years ago and the new owners have the worst book keeping skills and the ability to be friendly. They generally lack the knowledge on how to run a company. They have lost many customers in a very short time.

I am very happy that TSC has the Purina and Nutrena feed line. I am hoping it will give the other feed stores some competition they so badly need for the sake of the customers!

I have a question,

Why do they tell you not to mix oats with Purina's Equine Sr?

Quote Originally Posted by Nun Ya View Post
    I have a question,

OK, I don't feed Purina Equine Sr so I can't answer that question. But my question to you is where did you hear or read that you are not to mix it with oats?

If it were me and I'd read it on their bag or other directions about the feed I'd contact Purina to find out exactly why. If someone else told you that, I'd still contact the company to find out why.

Just a thought.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Nun Ya View Post
    I have a question,

Because Purina Senior, and all their other feeds, for that matter are complete feeds. So if your recommended feeding is, for instance, 3 lbs of Senior to give your horse the nutrition he needs, and you instead give him half Senior and half Oats, he is not getting the full nutrition, and therefor not the full benefit of a complete feed.

I know that a lot of folks mix oats and other grains with complete feeds, thinking they are being economical, or thinking that complete feeds will make a horse "hot", but the better feed companies have gone to a lot of effort to make feeds that fill your horse's needs, and they are meant to be fed "un cut"

There is no chemical reason for that suggestion, it's just like when the doctor tells you to take 2 antibiotic tablets a day til they are gone,and some people only take one, thinking they are saving money, and the antibiotic does not do what it is supposed to do.

I read it on the bag.

Thanks for that. I really didn't think about it that way, but once you said it .... it makes sense. I just wanted to make sure it would not turn my horse a differnt color or make her have some weird reaction if I fed her oats two.

Usual Tractor Supply problem. Went in to buy Safe Choice, only 3 bags left. It's always like that. I've complained to manager (they say it's headquarters not shipping what they ask for), complained to headquarters (just had the local manager call me). I give up. I only go into TSC now if I'm in the grocery next door anyway. No more special trips since odds are they won't have what I need anyway.