The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A few quick questions...

I have an AQHA show starting sunday, and I have a few questions.

I have been showing since I was young, but never in breed shows. I have my Hano mare trace clipped, but would it be horridly frowned upon to trace clip my QH for the show. She is entered in Hunter Pleasure, HUS, and Hunter EQ. I don't feel like I need to go as far as to body clip her yet, but was wondering how the trace clip is seen in showing breed shows.

Also, I have a Barnsby Milton that I have had for years, only ridden in a few times. So obviously it is terribly uncomfortable as it hasn't been broken in yet. I have been off for some tome due to horse injuries, and I am worried that a slick new saddle will just enhance and weak muscles. Is there any way to "artificially" break it in again by Monday?

I know I have more questions, but of course now that I am typing this they have completely left me.

Thank you for reading this, and in advance for any advice.

If it is AQHA recognized, 99% of the horses will be body clipped. In my experience (I dont show AQHA, however I've been to a few shows to watch), nobody trace clips. Now whether or not it is frowned upon, I cannot answer...I honestly dont know.

As for the saddle, all I can say is lots of oil, warm water, and conditioner and a lot of luck may get it back to somewhat soft.

Good Luck!

Thank you for that. I guess that makes tomorrow "clipping day". Hopefully any potential clipper marks will be blended in by Monday morning. *wishing wishing wishing*

If it's an AQHA show, all the horses will have been under lights and will have no hair at all. You will rarely see a body clipped horse at a QH show. How hairy is your horse?

Her coat isn't TOO bad yet, but it is starting to come in. She definitely isn't a Yak yet.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/IMG_1592.jpg

NO! Hahaha, none of the AQHA people I know (primarily reining with some pleasure) clip. Ever. Obviously excepting ears, fetlocks, eye and nose hair.

They told me I was nuts to clip my horse last winter and that I would never ever place at shows. I assume that means it is a bit no no in the AQHA world.

They do keep their horses under lights when they need them to shed out and stay slick.

Personally, I don't see how this is any better than clipping, but that's how it's done!

ETA: If I was pretending to be one of my AQHA friends, I would recommend that you put on a nylon sheet and hood, with a thicker blanket on top assuming that the weather was hovering around 5-10˚C. This is generally what I have seen them do in the spring if their horses are not shedding out quickly enough. They go out during the day and are kept inside under lights at night.

It's not what I'd do to one of my horses, but that's what I have seen them do. You will look quite out of place if your horse is body clipped and it could likely count against you.

It's a strange world out there! (Although, they'd say the same about us)

Haha well thank you for that. You just saved me (and possibly my poor mare) from embarrassment. I would rather NOT clip so it is good to hear it would be BETTER not to. Thank you all so much.

No problem, and good luck!

I think the key to proper grooming in AQHA is the word 'slick'. They talk about it a lot, whatever it's supposed to mean

Pretty much standard hunter grooming, nice and shiny etc. should go over just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    No problem, and good luck!

I think the key to proper grooming in AQHA is the word 'slick'. They talk about it a lot, whatever it's supposed to mean

Pretty much standard hunter grooming, nice and shiny etc. should go over just fine!
    LOTS AND LOTS OF SHOWSHEEN!

haha I will invest in even more "shine" products. Even with her beginning of a winter coat, I'm sure I can get her nice and shiny.

Does anyone have any good "recipes" for homemade sheen products?

Also, thank you for the luck. I'll need it.
    It is both my mares and my first breed show, as well as it being my ex BARREL mares first western pleasure and hunter classes. Talk about nerves.
    I'm not expecting placings (or miracles) though, just to have some fun and see how far along I have gotten her.
    But I still want us to look "proper" for our first AQHA show. I'm big on proper turnout.

Have fun!
    I would suggest a non silicone based sheen product (Show sheen is silicone based). If you use one with an oil base and put a sheet or light blanket on, it does help to make the hair slick down a bit. Just make sure to avoid the saddle area!
    Use lots of elbow grease and you will be just fine.

You may not want to adopt the full QH blanket and lights regime, but I would definitely recommend you grab yourself one of their stretchy sleazies. Full body and a neck one. They really do work pretty well at laying the hair down flat and shiny. I think especially at this time of year, with the half thick coat it could make a big difference.

I don't care for the silicone products, but I did invest in some Ultra products. I brushed her for an hour and a half last night (what else is there to do at 10:00 at night), and she looked amazing and so slick. It gave me hope.

And about the sleazie, I just got her one of the hood ones. I've been trying to find a full-body one around here but with 2 local tack shops it gets expensive. God I miss California.

I am so nervous about taking this mare to such a big show, but I'm in it for the fun and the experience. As long as we leave with a positive outlook, it is far worth the entry fees and drive.

Does anyone have any good homemade grooming product recipes? I am all for trying new and homemade things.