The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone ecided to take a year or so off from horses...

Sell the horses, take a year or so off and then start over? I am seriously thinking of doing this. I feel like i never can find time to ride, as I am always trying to get the barn done, etc... We keep the horses at home, and over the last couple of years have been working on the barn- it took me awhile to figure out how I wanted it... This last year has gone so fast for me, and I feel like i have done nothing. Now I am feeling rushed to get the stalls built, etc... I am just curious how much money I could save in a year too if I did not have horses for a year.... Anyone else think like this?

no. my horse is boarded with daily pasture turnout and a clean dry stall at night. if I feel like I don't have the time to go ride (or am too sick), I don't. He does fine without me and then when I feel better, I go enjoy him.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I have been pondering over this myself lately. I am doing self care and never seem to have time to ride anymore unless I go to my trainer's place and ride her horses I could do that without owning horses and it would be a whole lot cheaper and I could go to more shows Frankly, if anyone would have wanted them, I would have given away both my horses last week. It has been raining here for the last 3 weeks and the place that I am leasing stall at is a mud pit. Plus my stalls have flooded. It is so depressing to even go out there because it's such a mess. It's becoming a source of stress for me instead of my stress release. So I totally understand where you are at right now.

If I could, I would board. Since my finances are not exactly good right now, that is not an option for me. But if you can afford it, you might consider boarding for awhile and see if that doesn't change your outlook. When your hobby becomes a job.....it's really hard to stay inspired. Good luck and sending you a cyber {{{{HUG}}}} If you do decide to sell and pick it back up when you are ready....there is nothing wrong with that either.

I like my particular horses too much. It would be kind of nice to be horseless during nursing school but I'd want my exact horses back at the end. I can't sell my old mare, or her only son, or his paternal half brother, or the old mare's cousin or or or or...
    Still Crazy After All These Years

I did, but didn't sell my horses.

I had a training/boarding barn for years, and have been in the horse business for aslong as I can remember. in 2007 I was in an auto accident and broke both my collarbones. last year I closed my barn and moved to a small place that I could have the horse without a barn. Just 24/7 outside with shelters. The just did basic care, shots, worming, feet and round bale feed. I rode maybe 10 times in over a year. It was great but still more work then I wanted to do. I did everything this summer but ride, then about late July I felt like riding again. So I start back in the saddle and enjoyed it again. It has been years since I enjoyed my horses where I wanted to go out and ride. I am now moving and my horses will have to be boarded, but I am looking forward to it, I found a great place that has an indoor and is 10 mins from the house. It will be nice not to have to be out feeding in -25C if I don't want to head out I don't have to.

At times I think it is good to take a step back and take a brake to find the enjoyment again.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

Thanks for all the words of wisdom... I am going to be 35 this winter, and have a 9 yr old son and non- horsey hubby who is pretty accepting of the horse hobby. Son has no horse interest at all... We own our own property, have the barn and pastures,trailer, etc... I just feel like it would be nice to get the barn done and have it all ready, then focus on a direction, and pick a horse suitable for that direction... Rather than "just having a horse" because I can... does that make sense? haha...

I think that's kind of like keeping that pair of jeans you used to be able to wear ten years ago, though, "just in case" you lose the weight and can wear them again or whatever. It never really happens and then you just feel guilty.

I think, if it were me, and I didn't have any horses at all and I was "taking a break" from them, I wouldn't feel at all motivated to finish the barn/farm projects and then they'd just sit and languish and then I'd feel guilty, but it would never actually get done. That might be just me, though.

Maybe, if you can afford it, it couldn't hurt to board for a while so you don't have to deal with the boring details of horsekeeping and can just go out and ride? Or find someone who wants to lease for a while as you get your barn/farm stuff together? *tossing stuff out there*

Yes I did, and regretted it.

Now that I have one again...As much as I would LOVE to have my horse at home the reality is that I probably will not be able to do it anytime soon.

Here is my reasoning:

1. Hubby is non-horsey. The man can't even pick up dog poop without gagging and throwing up. Seriously, if my dog gets stick when he is home I get a phone call AT work and have to go home and clean it up. He would be throwing up all the time with horse poop around.

2. My job is rather demanding at times. When I have a software push that is to be done my whole life is centered around that push. I go home, sleep, eat and take shower. Than I am back at work. Since problem #1 occurs I can not turst him to take proper care of my horse.

3. I had horses as a kid at home. I know how much work it is, and what is involved. I hated chipping ice from the buckets in the middle of the winter. We also would lose our power for a week at a time and would need to melt snow water on the stove. That is great as a kid but as a workign adult. NO way.

Maybe if my life changes in the future and we move somplace warmer I might think about it but right now. No way. I don't even want to take on another dog right now.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

I have no advice to give as I'm kind of in the same boat. I haven't really ridden in the past two years. Though I've reduced my herd substantialy, I still have no motivation or "want to". My horses are boarded, so I really don't have a good excuse, other than not having any direction/goals nor any real discipline.

I've had a lot of life changing things happen this year and I'm starting to question whether it would be best to just to get out of horses entirely for a while or maybe, even permanently. But, that decision has been put on the back burner for the time being. Both horses are currently on pasture board and I check on them periodically; make sure they're basic needs are taken care of.

I'm curious to read others' responses, as maybe it'll also help me decide. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ima Foxie Sister aka "Bugs"

RIP: Miss V - Bay OTTB Mare (1997 - 2013)

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Yes...I took a break when I moved to Edinburgh. It's very expensive and time consuming to ride here. In my first year here I probably rode a total of 8 times. I then spent last summer working on a guest ranch in Wyoming, and completely rediscovered my passion for horses. It's good to know it's still there. But unlike the other 3 girls I worked with, I knew I didn't want to make a career out of horses, and that didn't change during my 3 1/2 months in Wyoming. I want to be able to enjoy my horses/riding, and I think making a career out of them/boarding them at home would take away that enjoyment for me because it adds to the stress, especially on top of being a student and eventually having a full time job. I'm now back in Edinburgh, and while I do miss the horses & the ranch, I'm fully back in the swing of city life and absolutely love it. For now, this is where I'm happiest and where I want to be. However it is good to know I'll always have that horse crazy girl inside me and that I will pick up riding/horses again eventually.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I have done that, twice actually. I sold my horse (at the time) + tack and took a year or two off. I mostly decided to do this due to feeling like I didnt have enough time for my horse. When I took the breaks, I was also single at the time and it was almost impossible to date and have a horse, because all of my free time went to the horse. I board my horse though, I can't imagine how much time I'd be spending on horses if they were on my property. Probably all day! It also saved me a lot of money. I was spending more on my horse than I was on my own rent. So I took a break, got married and everything seemed fine for awhile but then I started to miss riding. It eventually led to me taking lessons on a trainers horse for awhile and then buying one again plus all of the tack, which is a huge pain in the butt. I did that twice and hope, well know, I will never do it again. My current horse is one of those once in a lifetime horses, so in a way it all worked out for me in the end.

Sell?

Yeah, I am not so good at that. So, I sometimes think in the terms of "if I don't buy another young one and when they all die..." That applies to the cats and dogs too.

Or, the other thought is when I can afford my run-in sheds, go back to true 24x7 turnout, not 24x7 turnout when I can and 14-20 out and 4-10 in for bad (too hot or too cold) weather. then, the "year" off would really be off from stalls, but for now, I have my spring and fall "off" from most barn work. Not as much mowing, rarely need to bring them in, feed once a day and just ride and drag the arena and do odds & ends.

I'm not sure what I'd do with myself if I didn't have house and barn projects and riding.

I did this. Between the baggage my horse and I were building up, and me starting college, when my vet told me my horse might never recover from a torn sesmoidial ligament, I put him to pasture and let riding go for a little while. I lasted about 9 months before I started iching to ride again and started taking lessons and got on my horse again 3 months after that.

I'm actually really glad I took a break. It gave me a chance to remember why I loved riding and rediscover my passion. In the end, it made me more passionate about riding, enough that after 2 years as a music major I did a 180 and am now an equine management major. I think sometimes when you really love something you can get a bit too involved and need to take some time off to get back in touch with the other areas of your life.

It sounds like you're getting burnt out, and maybe a break would be good for you. Are your horses the kind you could maybe lease out cheaply to someone, and would you feel comfortable doing that? I just wonder about that because then, if/when you decide you're ready to get back in to horses, you wouldn't have to go searching for new ones.

I've been riding consistently for over 50 years. I've switched disciplines, but have never been without a horse(s) in all that time.

Well I did. I've boarded all my life, but about 2 1/2 years ago DH and I bought land. Since it didn't have fencing or a barn or anything else I still had my horses boarded. I had retired my horse of a lifetime to a friends retirement place then sold my project horse about 6 months after we bought the land.

I went horseless for over 1 1/2 years while I built a barn and did (almost) everything else it takes to build a horse farm from raw land and design a custom house--which we'll be breaking ground on inside a month. In someways it was really great, although without the pressure of getting things done so I could ride, I wasted a lot of time. It seems I get more done the more I have crammed on my plate. In other ways I was going a little crazy not to have the outlet--although it did give me time to paint for the first time in a long, long time and I have to admit that that met some of the same needs riding meets.

Six months ago I bought a new project horse that I think of as a keeper, bought a fun horse for my DD and brought my retired guy home. And I'm toying with one more as a resale project. I didn't take the time to save money as much as I knew if I had horses waiting to come home I'd make hastier decisions instead of taking my time and doing things they way I wanted them forever.

Now that I'm back--sort of since my main horse is only 3--I realize how much I've missed the people and camaraderie!

I have my mare for sale, but am not very motivated yet. The current plan is to get her sold (eventually), get my ankle and back surgeries done, take the time to fully recuperate, then buy a nice Hunter prospect for me and a trail horse for soon-to-be hubby. That's the plan at least, who knows I may skip the surgeries for another couple or ten years and get more horses anyway <grin>
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

it sounds like you're getting burnt out with building a farm/taking care of your horses/still trying to ride and a break could be good for you. would it be an option to cut down to one horse and board it?

i'm on a forced "break" of sorts myself... not enough money coming in to keep a horse in the area where i live, and with traveling out of state almost every weekend to see the SO and other dear friends, not much time either. so i'm doing once-a-week lessons and the occasional show or catch ride to keep my skill set up to par and keep me sane.

SO would like to have horses at our house some day, since he rides a bit too and is a country boy, but i'm not sure he realizes how much work they are! hopefully within the next year (or sooner!) i will have gotten a new (better-paying) job closer to him where reasonable boarding is easier to find, and i'll have the time and money for a horse. until then, i'm on a "break."

When I had to put my beloved mare of 25 years down, I could not bring myself to get another. I was also injured so had stopped teaching and training. So, I walked away from horses for a while. After 6 months I did begin to teach/train again, but very limited.
    Now almost two years later I am finally getting more involved with horses again. There are two or three barn owners that have left the door open for me to come in and teach, plus one wants me to put some miles on a few horses.
    I needed the time to grieve. Obviously not your situation, but if your heart is not in it, walk away for a bit. Then if you get the itch, start by taking lessons on a more advanced horse with a great trainer.
    Currently I am out of work, but if I land a job, I will be taking my own advice and seek out a schoolmaster to take a few lessons on. Meanwhile I am just swinging a leg over any horse presented to me.
    It's fun again. Horses should be a way of life, not a chore that encroaches upon your 'other' life.
    Bridal Sweet 05/28/1983 to 01/23/2008

Quote Originally Posted by MissBri View Post
    Horses should be a way of life, not a chore that encroaches upon your 'other' life.
    wise advice.

I'm in a similar boat. We bought land, built a house, put up run-ins and fence, built a barn, put in a ring, and cleared more land... in the space of 5yrs. Plus I got married, started a new job, had a son, and am due with number 2. Somehow, I have wound up with 8 horses. I never seem to have time to ride, and with number 2 on the way..I'll have even less time to ride. If I want to do something with hubby and son, I feel guilty for not finishing the stain/tackroom/new run-in/mucking/seeding, etc. To top that off, we totaled our horsey expenses and realized exactly how much we're spending! Insane! I'm on a mission right now to cut back on the horses. I'm keeping the old girl and one or two to ride, and trying to place the rest. I want to enjoy horses AND my family. But just an FYI: The market sucks and selling my horses is causing just as much stress as taking care of them!!