The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default WE HAVE A VERDICT post #24 Small-hole haynetters: 1.5" or 2", what's the real diff?

A few weeks ago, I put my horse on a Nibblenet with 2" holes. It does slow him down, but pretty negligibly. Let's say he's working on 3 generous flakes of grass hay--it might buy us 30 minutes more than the pre-Nibblenet days.

Nibblenets are not cheap, and using the cheaper small hole haynets is not an option in my boarding situation. I'm trying to decide whether to sell my 2" Nibblenet and "upgrade" to the 1.5". My instinct is to say yes since my Miller's Harness hay net with the itty bitty holes slows my horse WAY down at shows and in the trailer.

So those of you who can compare between 2" and 1.5", please do. Is there any point in me going to 1.5"? This is grass hay with low flake integrity.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Oct. 9, 2009 at 09:29 PM.

I just bought two Nibblenets and they are the 1.5" version (by 5 inches in width). My retired guy does great on them, and it actually takes him most of the night to go through the 3 flakes of orchard grass I give him. My TB/Friesian cross still wolfs down his hay at a little slower rate but not much. I think I might just have the nibblenets for the retired guy (who I wanted to slow down in the first place) and use the canvas bags for the TBx. I was a bit surprised at the price but they are so well made and they actually look like they will last so I am hoping the investment pays off in saved hay.

I was seriously considering buying a Nibblenet for my retired Clyde cross mare who really needs to be on a diet. I am still debating because of the price, the exchange rate and the fact that I may have to pay broker charges at the border (which really p!#@# me off - Free trade??), so that would cost me a bundle. I am interested in learning which size would be better in case I do decide to order.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the 1.5" version. So in a few days, I should be able to make a direct comparison! I will report back.

yes, definitely let us know because i'm planning on doing the same thing. i'm really wondering how much difference is there in a 1.5 inch or 2 inch.

I can not wait to hear your report JN. I am currently using the small hole hay nets and I just hate filling them. I keep looking at the nibble nets but worry that they would not work as well as my small hole hay net.

My wallet doesn't enjoy being the guinea pig, but my curious mind sure does. I will be a good test case since this is a clever Thoroughbred, my barn feeds VERY VERY loose grass hay that is not at all stemmy (which makes it fairly easy to pull even through a small hole), and we'll have tested two Nibblenets on the same horse. I guess if I were really hardcore I'd put a stopwatch on it.

Trub, buy a muck bucket, put your hay net in the muck bucket and pull the hay net over the edge of the bucket and put your hay in, it is super easy. That is what I do.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

I have the Busy Horse feeders both in 2 inch and 1.5 inch. For my horse the 1/2 inch adds HOURS to his eating time. They were worth every penny, and actually save $$ since my horse no longer wastes hay by dragging it around and peeing on it. But to really slow them down go with the smaller opening.

http://www.busyhorse.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by PNW AMTS Dealer View Post
    I have the Busy Horse feeders both in 2 inch and 1.5 inch. For my horse the 1/2 inch adds HOURS to his eating time. They were worth every penny, and actually save $$ since my horse no longer wastes hay by dragging it around and peeing on it. But to really slow them down go with the smaller opening.

http://www.busyhorse.com/index.html
    haha, that looks just like the nibblenet, minus the fact that the NN has a back to it i do like the price, though. i'm going to investigate the site a little more so thank you for the link

Welcome! Yes, that is why I choose the Busy Horse brand. My sweetie is fairly destructive and would get mad at his old fabric feeders with the hole in the front and tear them to shreds, even the super tough cordura ones. The busy horse brands are made of all super stong webbing, no front or back so they can eat out of either side. After a year of daily use mine still look like new. Destructo boy is foiled!
    BTW~ the nibblet size is really small, like for a snack or mini-horses. The middle side will hold one flake and is great for the trailer. The Grande will hold 2-3 flakes and is really easy to load up my favorite. I have 3 of them for the loafing shed, one is 2" and two in the smaller slow feeder holes. Expensive at $50, but worth every penny since I see them lasting for years and YEARS.

Quote Originally Posted by chelsealaurenmurphy View Post
    haha, that looks just like the nibblenet, minus the fact that the NN has a back to it i do like the price, though. i'm going to investigate the site a little more so thank you for the link
    I have absolutely nothing against the Busy Buffet, but I don't understand the bit about "liking the price". The Busy Grande is about the same size as a Nibblenet 5" Standard, and the Nibblenet comes with a strap. The price is about the same on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Cashela View Post
    Trub, buy a muck bucket, put your hay net in the muck bucket and pull the hay net over the edge of the bucket and put your hay in, it is super easy. That is what I do.
    That's what I do too. Works like a charm.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    I have absolutely nothing against the Busy Buffet, but I don't understand the bit about "liking the price". The Busy Grande is about the same size as a Nibblenet 5" Standard, and the Nibblenet comes with a strap. The price is about the same on both.
    yeah, noticing that after looking at the website more. i only saw the snacker at first, which is far smaller.

One interesting thing I found from trying both brands - I bought a Busy Horse feeder and hated it because the top opening for loading the hay in it was way too tight and narrow to easily get hay in - drove me crazy! I sent it back and got Nibble Nets - the slick smooth vinyl backing and wider top openings make it MUCH easier to load the hay in - I just slide it down the back side of the net.

I have a WB yearling on 2 months stall rest right now - I LOVE my Nibble Nets - no hay is wasted and each large net lasts about 12 hours stuffed full of hay (about a 1/2 a bale at a time).

What is the size of your openings?
    I am starting to think a Nibblenet 6" with 1.5" opening might do the trick for me, but I am waiting on the "guinea pig" results!

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    What is the size of your openings?
    I am starting to think a Nibblenet 6" with 1.5" opening might do the trick for me, but I am waiting on the "guinea pig" results!
    I hope you all plan to Paypal me a dollar in order to cover the cost of this experiment.

My 1.5" Nibblenet should be here this weekend. Those folks at Nibblenet sure are speedy with the customer service--this is the second time they've shipped the day after I ordered (despite their claim that it can take up to 10 biz days for the order). I am hoping to put a stopwatch on my horse with his 2" Nibblenet on Friday, then re-time him on Sunday with the new 1.5" Nibblenet.

Maybe try stuffing a regular haynet inside the Nibblenet? Or even a small-hole haynet? Me, I'd be afraid the dirty looks would melt me on the spot, but it may help a little.

I have the 2" Nibblenets and they definitely slow the consumption down, and it's enough for me. But it doesn't make 3 flakes last for 6 hours or anything even close.
    Click here before you buy.

I absolutely love my busyhorse Grande feeder bag with 1 1/2" holes. It is very sturdy (I've had it for a almost a year and it looks like it will last for many more) and it slows my IR pony down a lot. I like that it holds 3-4 flakes hay so I can fill it just twice a day. I used a cheap, small hole haynet prior to buying the Grande but found it a pain to fill and it didn't hold enough hay. Also, my clever pony bit a hole into one side so that he could pull large hunks of hay out. Check out the busyhorse website.

haylage nets fair better becuase the holes are smaller takes a tad longer for the horse to eats so not bolting his hay