The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for kids pony or potential kids pony

When we moved from CA in February to Aiken, I left the pony my daughter was riding there, because the trip would be hard on an old pony. She begs regularly to ride my 2 OTTB's, so I am now beginning to search for a pony for her... or soemthing that I can bring along for her to ride in the future. At almost 4 years of age, she has almost strictly ridden off track horses who are now eventers, with the exception of the retired short stirrup champion pony she had in CA. I would love to find a pony with a foot in the grave that no one can afford to take care of any longer and needs a respctful, loving last home OR something that may be a bit green still and in the 13+hh range that I can bring along for her over the next year or two and she can eventually do Pony Club with. She's a brave kid, having walked, trotted, cantered, and gone up and down banks and over ditches on her old pony before turning 3. Fortunately, he wasn't the classic nasty pony, but kind enough to oblige her in "fun".
    Mom is an Advanced event rider who brings along OTTB's and is a graduate B Pony Clubber who has taught for nearly 15 years on both coasts and in Canada.
    If anyone knows of a pony that may potentially work and isn't back on the West Coast, I'd definately be interested...
    Thanks in advance!
    Keep your feet on the ground, but always look to the stars!

Are you in South Carolina? I have something that might work however I'm in NY

I saw a very cute pony yesterday that is being fostered at Fast First Farm for USERL, she was rescued about 500 pounds underweight with a foal and is now fat and very pretty. My understanding is she is doing quite well under saddle. A lovely liver (DARK!) chestnut with lighter mane, looks to have a little arab in her but not a lot, very attractive. USERL is in NC and does have adoption fee. You can contact Heidi at tia@coastalnet.com Tell her Carrie told you about the pony, sorry I do not know the ponies name

I don't know how experienced you are with rescues, but I have a pony rescue that I desperately need to rehome. He is ribby, and I don't have the pasture that he needs to fatten up. I got him out of an abusive situation, and he is very wary of people. He is so loving once you gain his trust. He needs to be started from the dead basics. He does stand for the vet/farrier as long as they take the time to gain his trust, and he has worked on clipping and bathing, as well as VERY basic lunge line work.

I have a young pony that I would love to find a home for before winter. She is only a yearling but should mature Med-Lg. Very cute, kind, friendly, and willing. Bred to compete in pony hunters. We rebred the mare and now have her 1/2 brother that I have decided to keep for my kids and we just don't have the space for them both. I also have her dam for sale, though she is 14.3 and green broke. Prices to the right home may be negotiable.
    Photos video link below:
    WelshX filly-
    http://www.northhillfarmny.com/Rhosalyn2.html

Appendix QH mare-
    http://www.northhillfarmny.com/Dyna.html

We are located in NY.

Ideally, I'm not looking to spend anything... or very little, just because the economy is terrible right now and there is no way I'm spending as much or more on a pony for my daughter as I have spent on my very competetive event horses. So sorry if that sounds terrible, but I came from an area where horses are being turned loose on freeways because no one can take care of them anymore. I would also be willing to consider a long term lease on an older pony (not something I'm going to put a ton of training into just to give back).

Contact me at cstone@chathamhall.org I think I have the perfect one for you. About 13 hands - high withers, perfect with kids (LOVES attention), green broke but very willing and better with kids on him than adults. We used him in summer camp and he was fabulous. I just need a home for him that can realize his potential.

Did you see the Haffie in NH on giveaways? Sounds like what you want and shippers are always shipping..
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by tbeventer View Post
    but I came from an area where horses are being turned loose on freeways because no one can take care of them anymore. ).
    Really? I haven't heard of that happening in California.

Yep, last year there were atleast a dozen horses turned loose on 395 and 14 in the Lancaster/Rosamont area... not to mention the many that were found unclaimed where I lived in the mountains. The state patrol was having to pay cowboys to go out and rope the horses so that people wouldn't hit them! My farrier's brother was one of the cowboys that went out to herd horses... got paid $500/head... and the highway patrol was losing SERIOUS money, because most of the horses had to be euthanized due to injuries, disease, and malnutrition. Then, there are the auctions, where I picked up a "pony" for my daughter. A 15.2hh 4 year old TB gelding that turned out to be Poggio's nephew. I bought him as he was being loaded on the slaughter truck. He had won nearly ever race he ran in, but bit it in his last--saw the video-- and they dumped him. Washington State has issues, too. Horses were getting turned loose on the military bases, like McChord and Ft. Lewis. Some of the auctions down south (Nearco, I think) had some nice 3' hunters going through that sold for under $500! The Mexicans would come get them and load the trailers up with horses selling for less than meat prices, then ship them South... rarely, but occasionally they'd go North. I've been doing the rescue thing for a while and what the general population doesn't know about the failing equine indurstry is terrible. People can't afford to have their long term friends and companions euthanized, so they either turn them loose or send them off for a worse fate.
    Last edited by tbeventer; Oct. 7, 2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: can't spell!

Default *Sweet Baby Jane*

Hello!! I'm not sure where you are located but I am giving away my first pony for free, due to financial problems. We are located in Bangor, Pennsylvania. Baby is a 21 year old 14.2 Morgan X Thoroughbred. I would absolutely trust her with my life, in any situation. She LOVES little kids, acts like a mommy!! Hock injections may be needed in the future, but she is very comfortable right now. Because of this, Baby can only walk, trot, and canter, but with injections she can probably jump little jumps. Please email me for more information and pictures at janessacapozzolo@yahoo.com!!

there was another post about a large pony in SC for lease/giveaway posted a few threads below this one...