The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Stirrups for ankle pain...

I had surgery on both my ankles and previously had a considerable amount of pain in them both during and after riding. I was wondering if anyone knew if the wider stirrups or something else would help? And braces or ??? The one thing i really do not like is the angled stirrups as I feel the sit oddly on my feet.

I broke my ankle at the beginning of summer and bought Herm Sprenger 4F - with offset eye, iron and find them good for my ankle pain/comfort. When I first started using the flexi it felt weird as I never had flexi stirrups before but no pain and am now use to them (~3weeks have been back riding). I got the offset eye because I was finding it hard to twist my ankle in...now that I have had more physio probably could have done with out the offset eye
    Last edited by Jolie_; Oct. 5, 2009 at 11:16 AM.

Yes, the Herm Sprenger Bow Balance might work well for you...

+1 for Herm Sprenger, no doubt that they will help you.
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

Shredded my left ankle a few years ago and Bow Balance irons make all the difference between pain and no pain.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Another vote for the Sprengers. I had surgery 8 weeks ago and prior to that was in a lot of pain and the Sprengers have helped so much and I am not in any pain any more.

Thanks for the suggestions!...I have the flexi Herm Sprengers and find they are not much better then regular stirrups...maybe will try the offset eye ones.

try the MDC Intelligent stirrups...the tops rotate 45 and 90 degrees and come in jointed and non-jointed. The jointed ones did not give my ankle enough stability, and I ride in the regular stirrup rotated 90 degrees. Seems to take some strain off...I dislocated my foot, shattered the outside ankle bone and broke the inside bone in half. So far, the ankle is fine while riding, and just a little sore at the end of the day

i didnt like the herm sprengers. i have a knock off that only has 2 joints on each side instead of 4. the 4 joints were just too much. i felt like i could never get my heels down enough cause they flexed so much. which ultimately put me in more pain.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I have both the Herm Sprengers and the MDC Intelligent stirrups. I found that my ankle locked up more with both of them and just switched to the Royal Rider ones with the extra wide footbed and my pain is gone. I have a torn tendon in my right ankle and a bone chip just hanging out in there so I know about pain...

I have some suggestions. As a little background, I have an ankle that I injured last year in a fall. I have an OCD tear in the talus as well as dented cartilage. In addition, I broke my left foot in 9 places and dislocated it as well and had two surgeries as a result. Anyway, I have tried just about every stirrup out there!

When I just had the foot injury, I had some Sprenger knock-offs that were alright, not great. From there, I switched to MDC stirrups and they were not as forgiving as the Sprengers and I think I am unlike most posters in that I like a lot of "give" in the flexi irons. I also bought the Bow Balance stirrups, which for me are wonderful. I genuinely think they are hideous, as does my trainer, but the wide footbed combined with the flexibility makes them exactly what I need. BTW, rode in these in a GM clinic -- even with my explanation for why I need them, he is not a fan...take them off if you ride with him.

After I got the ankle injury, I decided I wanted something with more of a traditional Fillis iron look. I bought the Kwik-Outs, which I love both the idea and the look of, but they were brutal. The Bow Balance irons are absolutely the only irons that will not leave me feeling pain during and after my ride. I will usually switch to the more traditional iron, the Kwik Out, for shows, but I can sure feel a difference. Go for the Bow Balance...they are absolutely worth the expense! I think some tack stores will let you try them out.
    Laura

Bump

MDC - Flex vs Fixed which do you prefer?