The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tutoring can be very lucrative, and is usually very flexible. For tutoring jobs, advertise on Craigslist. I've gotten several jobs for tutoring college students in various biological science classes, and have also taught viola lessons (it's unusual, so I get more students than I might otherwise). Try elance.com as well. They need everything from computer people to proofreaders.

On a more horse-related note, I've worked as a PT tech at an equine hospital, which could be worth a try. Many vets don't require a licensed tech - they want horse experience and then will train you. The pay usually isn't great, but you'll be amazed at how much you learn, and some vets will offer discounts for your horses.

I've also done very well from time to time buying boxes of mixed, used tack, cleaning well and reselling on Ebay, Tacktrader, and Craigslist. That tends to vary by season though.

Professional Aquarium Maintence. I earned an extra 4-800 a month, working about 1.5 days a week. and if we had to do aquarium moves I usually earned an extra 150$ per move.

sitting in front of the computer in Canada

I have a normal self employed job and on the side I bake. Mostly at Christmas and do baskets. Cookies, chocolates and canning items. No one seems to bake anymore, let alone put up perserves.

sitting in front of the computer in Canada

Fellow college student

Art Modeled ($6/hr clothed $12/hr nude. I was one of the few girls willing to do nude so I got lots of work it was in 3 hour class segments too)
    When I was in high school I did this for a local university. I was a clothed model for $10.00 an hour. When I attended university, I got $20.00 for nude poses. That was 15-20 years ago. And this was a very small university that was known for it's business program, not there arts. Ask for a raise...lol It is hard, hard, hard work. Maybe I should go back to it...

IRL I'm the office manager at a large sporthorse facility.
    On the side, I work part time gigs helping out my vet, house/ pet sitting, doing barefoot trims, an occassional lesson, some photography, calligraphy and my mom and I do desert catering
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I work FT for a home builder but at one point after I got a divorce and had a horse on full board, I had to do something else to make ends meet. I found a PT weekend job at a local foundation/estate helping with the carriage driving department.

It was great, I learned how to harness and drive and got paid to ride around in a lovely restored carriage on paths by a mansion and beautiful gardens all day. It was soooo relaxing. We did weddings and public rides. It sometimes got old having to get up and be somewhere 7 days a week but as a second job, it was the best. The pay wasn't great but was a little over min. wage and it was fun and educational. The only reason I quit is I met my current DH and we moved in together which helped cut my living expenses.

When I was younger and had just started working FT I used to waitress PT on nights/weekends as a banquet server... better pay than regular waitressing because tips were automatically included. Most of the bigger hotels/country clubs have those type of positions.

worked for an at-home sales party operation ( I know...), filled out surveys for cash, wrote articles for a web site, sold extra stuff on e-bay.

Latest venture is doing horse portraits and even a series of farm scenes. Blast from the past b/c art was my college emphasis. I let everyone meet my horse and see right where the commission $ goes! It feels good to be back doing art but I was burned out and needed a break after college.
    Any time someone talks about their horse in a bar, there's love in the room.

More money without any extra jobs ...

Move to a cheaper place. Don't dismiss this out-of-hand, look around. Check the cost of your move before making the leap, though. As younger people are often renters this might be an opportunity.

Cut your present living expenses. With a little thought this probably isn't that hard to do, you could find at least $200/month if you haven't looked at this yet. Might even be enough savings there to pay for an event a month. Are you really watching all those cable channels? Are you paying a monthly internet service like aol? You can access the internet without it. Adjust the thermostat, reduce your driving miles, and cut back fast food by half - those three together could add up to $100-$200 a month, or more. Fast food is usually around $7-$8 a meal, so 2 a week adds to $100/month. Don't buy stuff that isn't really needed - five $20 items is $100, that's often easy to do every month.

Before buying anything ask yourself if you would rather have this, or rather go to an event.

Quote Originally Posted by planetlisa View Post
    .. sold extra stuff on e-bay ...
    Many people have a layer of stuff they haven't used in years, and never will, taking up space in their residence. They've forgotten they have it, they put it away so long ago. Selling it off will open up your storage space ... and might make it possible to move to that smaller cheaper place.

Yeah, re: e-bay, never underestimate the desire of people to buy your old crap. It still boggles my mind
    Any time someone talks about their horse in a bar, there's love in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by OverandOnward View Post
    More money without any extra jobs ...

Move to a cheaper place. Don't dismiss this out-of-hand, look around. Check the cost of your move before making the leap, though. As younger people are often renters this might be an opportunity.

Cut your present living expenses. With a little thought this probably isn't that hard to do, you could find at least $200/month if you haven't looked at this yet. Might even be enough savings there to pay for an event a month. Are you really watching all those cable channels? Are you paying a monthly internet service like aol? You can access the internet without it. Adjust the thermostat, reduce your driving miles, and cut back fast food by half - those three together could add up to $100-$200 a month, or more. Fast food is usually around $7-$8 a meal, so 2 a week adds to $100/month. Don't buy stuff that isn't really needed - five $20 items is $100, that's often easy to do every month.

Before buying anything ask yourself if you would rather have this, or rather go to an event.
    yesyesyes! omg so much good advice on this thread!

craigslist is a great way to find cheap rentals being listed by people who don't want to go to the expense of listing them through a realtor.

i am able to save SO much money by just not buying things i don't need. that pretty pair of shoes that caught my eye? that's the cost of a riding lesson, two tanks of gas, or money i could be putting towards obligatory 'extras' like Christmas gifts, wedding gifts (i'm at that stage in life where all my friends are getting married), or saving for the inevitable car/health/house emergency.

now i just have to convince myself my wallet and my body really don't need that weekly iced coffee on the way to my riding lesson..