The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Foxhunting "trainers" in MD/DE/SE PA/NOVA?

I've got a nice gelding who I want someone else to "teach" to hunt. He's well trained over fences and on the flat, and I just want him to get exposed to hounds, large groups, and the excitement of it all with a competent person who has hunted forever and is good with introducing a horse to hunting. Any suggestions are appreciated!

There is a man named Paul Striberry who is in MD (I think) or somewhere close to there.
    I can't find his contact info right now, but there was an article about him in Covertside a year or so ago, and you could probably google him.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Bonnie Barr Briggs in Hume, Virginia - www.riotfarm.com. She's got my greenie right now and is doing a fabulous job with him - and she regularly starts horses out in the hunt field.

I second Bonnie. But if she's full try Debbie Welch, also with ODH also superb. Email me for her info if you wish. betsyp at crosslink.net
    Paul does not have a farm so his 'starting hunters' is not quite what you're looking for, I'll bet.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

You could also try Susan Deal in Rixeyville or Julie Williamson in Reva.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    You can try getting in touch with Dale, but she rarely answers her phone or returns phone calls.

I sent my young green bean to my neighbor -- a young event rider trying to get established -- while I was out of town. Not for hunting, but just to hack and really get him going. He did a fabulous job with him and was very quiet, kind and patient. I know he does also start hunt horses for folks, as well. His name is Jon Sonkin, JAS Stables in Lincoln, Va. (just a few miles south of Purcellville) If interested, PM me and i will pass along his cell number.....
    Cold Spring Farm
    German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/