The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ever buy a prospect with the idea of leasing it out once the pony/horse is "made"?

Talking at the A levels only. I'm curious to know if anyone has ever bought a pony (or a horse) with the thought in mind of training it, putting show miles on it, and then leasing it out each year? I had always assumed this type of situation just came about in the natural course of ownership and applied to those who wanted to retain control over a particular critter. However, it occurred to me that perhaps the occasional person has done this as a business plan? I wouldn't have thought so due to the expense involved in training/showing, but then again, I could be wrong.

I have bought a prospect before with the thought of future half-leasing. (I like to half lease my horse to help with expenses and because I can't make it to the barn everyday.) Disposition is paramount.

I do not know anyone who has bought a prospect to full lease for profit. I suppose it could happen though.

yes, did this with a medium pony hunter. bought as yearling, ribboned at pony finals as a green, and has been leased every year since. he's 8 now. i would only do it with a pony, however, as a good one is always in demand, and in my experience they have longer careers and fewer lamenesses. the initial idea arose with two old ponies my fam owned, we bought them and then leased them throughout their later teen years until they retired. we didnt turn a profit, per se, but it helped finance showing expenses each year. thankfully this guy trained up into a super-safe packer, so it is working out so far.

then again, he needed to grow up and be trained, which was expensive, and there are dormant times between leases where sometimes you have to take over costs, and those cut into lease profits, and there's also consistent worry over finding appropriate homes, whether the pony is well trained/cared for. there have been issues with people leasing the pony, then not showing at 'a' shows, which is frustrating, because then he doesn't qualify for pony finals every year, which is typically a big selling point, and he gets sort of 'demoted' to a local level pony. i don't think he's turned a profit yet, but if he's still going at 15, then it will have been a nice investment. time will tell, i guess.
    Bigeq.com First in Hunter/Jumper Sales Online

We are also trying our hand at that came. We have a horse almost ready, that will be a nice childrens/aa hunter; as well as a pony on the way (praying he stays pony!!).

I also know of a very nice mare who is leased for the Jrs each year, and does the finals. Her trainer/owner told me thay have made FAR more off the consistent leasing than they would have had they just sold her, and they keep some level of control of her.

As I bring my guys along, however, we do frequent the smaller non-rated shows to get the pieces put together.

If you can really make one up to be nice there will be a leasing market for it, like others have said it will help out with the bills and hopefully continue to progress the horse to be nicer and nicer, but it costs a lot of money to get to the point will people will pay a lot of money to lease it and a lot can go wrong. I'd say you would be better off with a pony, people pay big money to lease the really nice ones but a lot of parents are more reluctant to buy because their kid will outgrow it faster than a horse. If you try to make it work with a pony, though, you have to be even more careful that it is quiet and dead broke, people aren't going to pay top money to put their kid on something spooky or dangerous and a pony that even thinks about stopping is going to be worthless in the leasing market.

Equitation horses have been known to lease for a lot yearly as well, but they take years and years of training to be at the top level.

Leasing can also be dangerous because it's always possible that the horse and rider will not be a good match in the show ring, results may be very low and at the end of the year when you go to try and lease it out again people will remember it's poor performances with previous riders. In some cases it may just be the rider missing or not sitting up, etc. and you may be able to get the horse going around great again in a short time, but what if it is taught to stop? It's hard to take the stop out of a horse that's learned it, in my experience, and it will be basically worthless with the stop. Also what if horse gets hurt? Even if leaser has insurance on horse, contract states that the person leasing horse pays vet bills, etc. that will last the rest of the season the horse is leased out - then you may get a broken down, permenantly lame, etc. horse returned back and on your shoulders for the next 15, 20 years.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

I dunno about buying a green prospect specifically for that lease market, and I dunno that anybody starts out to create a lease only Pony/horse unless you are pretty well known in the show world. Almost everybody sets out to make up one to sell and leases only when, for some reason, it won't sell.

People lease instead of buy for 2 main reasons...they cannot afford to buy one or they are afraid to take on soundness problems or age long term. A few are afraid the kid will grow out of it too fast.

Most of the full time lease out Ponies are either Small or Medium with extensive show records and some just won't vet or are old but can command a high short term lease price with no long term risk for the leasee.

So, I guess, I'd ask you would people seek you out looking for a show Pony/horse to lease? Do you sell many of them so you have a good network of likely buyers and their trainers? Can you get a good show record on it to make it desireable?

Leasing itself is fraught with difficulties and potential misunderstandings. most lease only to known persons and know who will be ridng/training and how the animal will be managed. Just don't think it's a first choice despite what you may here along the rail about this or that one...not unless you are well known and trusted and the Pony/horse is a show champion many time over.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.