The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

dceventer Guest

Default eventing barns near dc?

Hi there! I'm looking for an event barn in the DC area (just started going to college here and the team here is hunter...). A place that taught dressage and hunt jump would be fine too...I'd prefer if I could metro there from Foggy Bottom, and I need a place where I could take lessons using barn horses...anyone know of any place?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

look in the equiery. They have listings for all the barns in MD.. well, most of them. :]

they have a website.. http://theequiery.com/

I don't know that metro access is going to get you out far enough to the barn, but Woodland Horse Center in Silver Spring and Columbia Horse Center in Laurel are both good lesson facilities, with event teams and instruction available.

From what I can think of theres no barn that is accessible to the metro, Woodland is probably the closest but its about a 15-20min drive from the closest station.

There are no metro accessible event barns, from what I recall. Perhaps you could call around and see if anyone would carpool and you can throw in for gas.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Waredaca is a great event barn in Maryland -- again, no metro access, but they do have some lesson horses that can do low level eventing. The UMD riding team comes out weekly or more often than that to practice -- they carpool -- perhaps you could contact them and go out with them; you can get to UMD by metro...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

You could ride the metro to Bethesda and take various buses to within a few miles of our barn, but it would be a good walk on some less than great walking type roads (bikes are pretty good, though). Buuuut, we don't have school horses.

Are you 21? You could join Zipcar.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

dceventer Guest

I'm 19 but I think I can join zipcar anyway. I think that's what I'm going to have to do at this point. Does anyone know of either a show jumper or eventing barn in north virginia? (It is much easier for me to drive to Virginia than Maryland)
    Thank you so much for your suggestions! It has been very helpful

Eventing - I think that Tailwind Farm (eventing) with Deana Vaughn and Tiffany Catldedge in Haymarket may have lesson horse, not sure.

Gavin Moylan in The Plains (Meadowville Farm)
    http://www.gavinshorses.com/
    is a jumper trainer who works with quite a few eventers. He DOES have school horses, but I think they are more the "beginner type" horses, but you could call and ask.

Also, my sister, Gillian Clissold in Nokesville, (CCI*** eventer) has cut back on her teaching, and doesn't have school horses per se, but she does teach SOME lessons on her personal horses. She does both jumpers and eventing.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

michelleml Guest

I actually have a question for you...if you are 19 how are you using zipcar? I am actually in the exact same dilemma as you, in college in DC and need a way out to the barn, and I am also 19.

I'm looking for a sales/ training barn in the Nokesville/Haymarket area for a 5 yr.
    old Hunter/cross country prospect. Any suggestions?

Southdown Farm in Great Falls, VA is not too far from GW, if you have a car. A number of boarders there event. There are eventing and dressage instructors who come in to teach. The barn is located in suburbia, but there are great park trails. It is not too far from Turner Farm which has a large ring and small cross country course.